Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Favorite Nonhuman-Looking Mutant Design

A common sentiment I see a lot of (and share) is that Krakoan mutants who can't pass as human are underrepresented among the main books and lineups. I mean, other than Glob Herman, who is everywhere. Like Arakkii mutants understood the assignment, lol, but outside of group scenes with unidentified extras, a lot of Marvel's more unusual Earth-born mutants have been flying under the radar this era. And Marvel's had some amazingly unique designs for mutants over the years, ranging from the absolutely wtf to the iconic like Nightcrawler.....sooooo.....

Whomst among the most weird, wacky, eye-catching or otherworldly appearing mutants...is your fave, or makes your top three? Obscure Z-list characters welcome, because 'tis a thread by me and hellooooooo, like, duh, but from the 'never heard of them' to the 'I'm so used to this character I tend to forget they stand out in a crowd'....which mutant DESIGNS are your faves?

For me, in no particular order, and not at all limited to just these....some personal faves include:

1) Paras Gavaskar aka Indra.

Indra_Paras_Gavaskar.jpg

2) Decimus Furius

son-of-socrates-uncanny-xforce-3.jpg

3) Scorpion Boy

c6328002f2756f4f922b78c918091174.jpg

What I really love about him is how the glimpse of his future self shows his glow-up from the shrimpy little weird dude on the far left, to the intimidating guy you don't want to fuck with in the center.

I really enjoy when nonhuman-appearing character designs include room for the character's growth and change in appearance over time instead of just being a single static design that ultimately ends up changing even less than traditionally human-appearing characters, no matter how much that character ages.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 12-13-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I love Kylun's design because he's so striking. Though he does resemble a lion he still has his own unique look and colors.

Gloom! Even though we don't quite know what he looks like, it's clear he isn't human-passable and I've always been intrigued by him.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Incredible Member

Mammomax, Artie, Leach and Caliban.

TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I double that!!!

...also: Generation X had some amazing mutant designs.

Astonishing Member

I'm starting to warm up to Shark Girl. Perhaps it's because she also looks like she wouldn't be out of place in My Hero Academia (which recently also adressed the situation of non-human looking people in their world). Or maybe she just hasn't been driven into the ground by bad writing yet, which sadly feels like it's only a matter of time.

Now if only the artist could settle for a particular design, rather than her being all over the place head design and body wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    (...) Artie, Leach and Caliban.
    Do these three really count as "non-human"?

Astonishing Member

Generation X had some really great designs and concepts for sure, and as for Shark Girl, she's definitely a weird one but seriously endearing and just fun. Would love to see her used more often, but she mostly just tends to be a Cameo Queen.

And not trying to be definitive or anything, but in terms of this thread, I'd definitely say Artie, Leech and Caliban fall under the umbrella of the kinds of mutants I'm talking about. They're humanoid, certainly (as is Indra in my own OP), but none of them could pass as baseline human, and Artie and Leech notably always had to use image inducers to go out in public when they were students at Massachusetts Academy.

Plus, Artie's another mutant in the same vein as Chamber, where its not even just their appearance that makes them stand out, but even things like their personal form of communication is something unique to them and their mutation, and not something that can 'pass' without comment. Their 'voices' are literally telepathic in nature, as well as pictorial in Artie's case, and I've always found that really interesting and something I'd like to see more of with mutants: where its not even just their appearance or physiology that's different from humans, but there's nonvisual aspects of their identity or mutation that notably stand out as well.

(For instance, I've always thought it might be interesting - though hard to convey in a visual medium, but maybe could work as a cartoon or live action character in an X-Men adaptation - if maybe some mutants had some kind of innate or unconscious auditory aspect of their mutation that couldn't be 'turned off.' Like mutants who maybe always have some kind of weird frequency or hum or even song playing around them, emanating from their body or aura or something. Or kinda like how Jay Guthrie had unearthly qualities to his singing, but otherwise sounded normal.....more mutants who have some 'unnatural' or otherworldly quality to their normal speaking voice or what it sounds like when they move....that could be interesting.

One of the aspects of Bobby's powers I always wish could be explored more in adaptations, is the comics have occasionally mentioned how weird it sounds when he moves in his ice form, because there's supposedly this constant crackling sound of ice breaking and reforming as ice moving against ice is going to sound way different from the 'usual' sounds of flesh and blood bodies in motion. Stuff like that and what it must be like to be around someone like Magma in her fire form, with the crackling sounds of fire and sparks hissing off her randomly.....wish that could come up more often, somehow).

For me it is Sobunar. Such a cool design (and power set). Dude looks like an axolotl.

Sobunar.jpg
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Maggot , Rockslide, Leech, Emplate,

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

The Marquis of Death, a cadaver is non-human...right? Yeah...sure it is, look at him...that's not natural:

Bow.jpg
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 12-13-2022 at 10:15 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Nightcrawler. Big surprise , huh?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    The Marquis of Death, a cadaver is non-human...right? Yeah...sure it is, look at him...that's not natural:

Bow.jpg
    ^^^If that guy's included, then I hope my choice will pass the test...

Thanos

Broo is baby. Best boy