Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Unstoppable Doom Patrol by Dennis Culver and Chris Burnham

THE WORLD'S STRANGEST HEROES ARE BACK IN THE DC UNIVERSE!

After the events of Lazarus Planet, more people than ever have active metagenes! Most of these new metahumans have become misfits, shunned and imprisoned by a fearful society. They are hidden away in the dark, lost to a system that only sees them as weapons or guinea pigs—ticking time bombs that can only be defused by the Unstoppable Doom Patrol!

Robotman, Elasti-Woman, and Negative Man are joined by their brand-new teammates Beast Girl and Degenerate and led by Crazy Jane's mysterious new alter, the Chief, on a mission of saving the world by saving the monsters!
    The series will kick off in a 10-page story in the Lazarus Planet: Dark Fate February one-shot, and then really start in March. And speaking of covers, Unstoppable Doom Patrol #1 will feature that cover by Burnham along with variants by Nathan Szerdy, and Culver, including scratch-off variant covers by Burham, which according to DC will feature five different versions of Jane reflected in the mirror that readers can reveal like a scratch-off lottery ticket.

Extraordinary Member

Unstoppable Doom Patrol #1 Variant by Dennis Culver

Unstoppable Doom Patrol #1 Variant by Nathan Szerdy

Extraordinary Member

Unstoppable Doom Patrol Character Designs by Chris Burnham

Unstoppable Doom Patrol #1 Art by Chris Burnham

Dennis Culver Newsletter
    Set firmly in the DCU, the Doom Patrol are a metahuman rescue team that are saving the world by saving the monsters which often puts them at odds with traditional superheroes.

Doom Patrol readers were immediately curious about the three new characters except one was new at all.
    Jane aka Crazy Jane is a metahuman with Dissociative Identity Disorder that 64 distinct alternate identities who each have their own superpower. We introduce a new alter called THE CHIEF who now leads the team.

But what about the other two characters?

Meet BEAST GIRL, a young metahuman whose powers have not only caused changes in her appearance but let her influence the primal instincts of those around her sending them into fight or flight responses among other things.
    Beast Girl is very enthusiastic about becoming a superhero. You’re going to love her.

When DEGENERATE’S powers are triggered he begins to devolve becoming more and more powerful as he loses more and more of his humanity. He doesn’t immediately fit in with the rest of the team. You’re going to love to hate him.
    I was asked by an eagle eyed Doom Patrol reader if this was a sneaky Gotham book because he noticed WAYNE TOWER in the background of my cover which is the setting of the first issue.

From my POV, there is one giant pillar in the DCU and that is all the characters associated with the JUSTICE LEAGUE including the core members and their books along with the heroes of the JUSTICE SOCIETY who inspired them and then their proteges in TITANS. The DOOM PATROL has never been a part of that and they no longer think their methods of doing things work.

After the events of LAZARUS PLANET there are more metahumans than ever but very few will become superheroes. Most will end up in places like Arkham Asylum where they will slowly fall through the cracks of society and become outcasts. At best some of them will end up guinea pigs for places like S.T.A.R. LABS and at worse weapons for the government in programs like TASK FORCE X aka the SUICIDE SQUAD.

The Doom Patrol offers an alternative to a very broken system and this will put them in conflict with the rest of the superhero community.

Make sure you pick up LAZARUS PLANET: DARK FATE in February which features a 10 page Doom Patrol story that tees up our run and tell you comic shop you want to order UNSTOPPABLE DOOM PATROL in March. We’ll talk more about when the solicits drop for it soon.

Rooting for this to be good, like the Suicide Squad the Doom Patrol is a team that doesn’t overlap with the JL. They deserve to be one of DC’s premiere teams, and a lot of their stories are highly underrated. Culver has been more miss than hit for me with his time at DC, but I want him to hit a home run.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I guess we can thank Dan Mora for proving Rita look great in shorts .

I liked the description and will check it out.

Yeah I'm very much interested to see how this plays out in Lazarus Planet and then in this series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Looks good. I’m happy to hear they’ll be interacting with the greater DCU and not stuck in their own corner of the universe.

Beast Girl could be interesting but I’m really hoping Degenerate goes the way of so many other new Doom Patrol recruits. I just don’t think the team needs a Hulk knockoff. It doesn’t fit with their vibe. But the writer is seemingly already aware of this as he says “he doesn’t fit in with the team” and you’re going to “love to hate him.”

Jane as the new team leader with a new personality called “The Chief”. If she’s just like Caulder they should keep an eye on her. Doom Patrol history has shown us that you can never trust The Chief.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-13-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Incredible Member

I’m in… but I hope Space Case is, too!

Sadly, it looks like it's another 6-issue mini that may or may not get more issues if it sells well.

https://twitter.com/dennisculver/sta...K0ixB2YsQ&s=19

If they actually manage to deliver two or more minis and it is all done by Burnham then I'm 100% fine with this not being an ongoing.

I’m really happy the Doom Patrol are getting a book again.
    Two things that worry me a bit, though:
    1) The new premise is a little to “X-men” for me. I get that the two have always had similarities, but the new metahumans angle is too much IMO.
    2) Culver’s work has really not been my cup of tea. He took a great concept like Justice Incarnate and made it as boring as possible in that post Infinite Frontier mini with Williamson. I’m hoping he’s better when writing solo.

Hopefully it was Williamson's terrible direction and not his own ideas that tanked Justice Incarnate.

I'm really excited about this even if it's only a mini. I'd rather have several solid minis than an inconsistent ongoing. Gerard Way's DP probably would've worked better as a series of minis than an ongoing that got delayed over and over. With an ongoing you always end up with fill-in issues that almost always suck. The only thing about this mini that I'm not loving is the switch to orange/white from red/white for the team colors. I can live with that though as long as the stories are well done.

Hmmm....does anyone else get a funny feeling from the epilogue of Dark Crisis concerning this series?

Literally a long established character was set up with the mission of wanting to kill all metahumans on earth. What is the current Doom Patrol mission? Protect the hundreds of new metahumans.

I got a bad feeling about who they may run into.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.