Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

This looks awesome. Lazarus Planet giving us a metahuman explosion at the same time Dark Crisis ending with that Young Justice addition and the promise of that is actually probably the best "stories going forward" big push for new characters and concepts that DC has had in twenty five years (if they can actually pull it off). Doom Patrol using the tried and true "new characters join the characters you love" is the right way to go. I'm in it for the Burnham art first get. Excited mostly for Jane "Chief" and Rita.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Is this Beast Girl suppose to be the same Beast Girl that was mentioned as being a member of India's team the Doomed in Doomsday Clock?

I doubt there's any official word, since that Beast Girl was an unseen new character. No reason it can't be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Is this Beast Girl suppose to be the same Beast Girl that was mentioned as being a member of India's team the Doomed in Doomsday Clock?

Would be kind of funny if she is! Like, jeez, what a glow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I doubt there's any official word, since that Beast Girl was an unseen new character. No reason it can't be, though.
    I thought this wa suppose to be Beast Girl with the green skin.

Well maybe that's her before the events in Lazarus Planet that transform her into how she looks in the upcoming DP mini?

It would be cool if they followed up on it.

The original Doom Patrol is one of my favorite teams and my favorite incarnations of the team tend to be the ones that straddle the line between quirk and mainstream (their recent appearance in World's Finest is a good example of this, or the Giffen series from a while back). I appreciate what Morrison did but also think it tainted them a bit, to where they're a bit targeted to be the "weird, quirky, indie" team for creators, which can lead to half-hearted half measures like the Arcudi run, intolerable twee claptrap like the Way run, or even bland overcompensation to go the other direction, like the Byrne run.

I feel like this series could go either way...the team definitely looks to be more mainstream and interactive, but as others have said the mission statement nature of the team almost feels like another half-measure to explain why they matter, rather than just mattering because they're damn cool characters. I hope someday someone does a Doom Patrol book that just focuses on them dealing with their existences and how the world thinks of them while dealing with threats like General Immortus and Gargaux, rather than doing some new tap dance to justify their existence.

Side note: really wish somebody would use Celsius and Tempest (Joshua Clay) in a book again...maybe not Doom Patrol and their current aesthetic, but they were great characters who shouldn't be collecting dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    The original Doom Patrol is one of my favorite teams and my favorite incarnations of the team tend to be the ones that straddle the line between quirk and mainstream (their recent appearance in World's Finest is a good example of this, or the Giffen series from a while back). I appreciate what Morrison did but also think it tainted them a bit, to where they're a bit targeted to be the "weird, quirky, indie" team for creators, which can lead to half-hearted half measures like the Arcudi run, intolerable twee claptrap like the Way run, or even bland overcompensation to go the other direction, like the Byrne run….
    Did you just blame Morrison for Byrne’s run? LOL! That’s funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    "Blame" is a strong word, but I can see Morrison's run not setting well with longtime old-school fan Byrne, who overcorrected trying to take the team back to what he though was way "it should be done."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    "Blame" is a strong word, but I can see Morrison's run not setting well with longtime old-school fan Byrne, who overcorrected trying to take the team back to what he though was way "it should be done."
    I’ve read no interview from Byrne around that time stating that was his intention, but I can see that.

If that was his intent, Byrne didn’t need to correct anything.

Morrison’s run is the definitive one, IMO.

Too bad Space Case and Bumblebee didn't make it.
    Even Element Woman would be a good new recruit.

I'm getting Nudge and Grunt vibes from the new characters.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I’ve read no interview from Byrne around that time stating that was his intention, but I can see that.

If that was his intent, Byrne didn’t need to correct anything.

Morrison’s run is the definitive one, IMO.
    I recall an interview from DP's original creators that Morrison's run was actually the closest to what they were trying to accomplish. Trying to get to weirdness that was homogenized by Silver Age storytelling decades later isn't really understanding the concept. Going by Byrne's FF, he did get the concept Lee and Kirby laid down without staying at the old-style level of storytelling.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Doom Patrol would likely be dead property if not for Morrison's run so technically I think that yeah, Morrison is responsible for Byrne's run.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The only problem with Doom Patrol is everytime they relaunch they create new characters that last for just that run then disappear into limbo. I think that is why I liked Giffen's run so much because he didn't do that. He had the trio then brought back past members like Crazy Jane, Fast Forward, and Danny the Street along with long time characters of the DCU that fit the team like Bumblebee and Ambush Bug. To me Giffen is gold standard on how to do a modern Doom Patrol book. He knew how to ride that fine line between DCU proper and the weird side of things.