Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Doom Patrol's short story in today's annual was great.
    Glad to hear it .

Loved the short story by Culver. I wasn’t a fan of his FS stuff but his DP is really good so far. Hope he keeps it up for the main book.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I was a bit anxious since I haven't really read anything by Culver, but this did everything it needed to do. I hope it sells well and we get another mini in 2024.

Also, am I forgetting something or is Flint personality from TV show?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I’m really happy the Doom Patrol are getting a book again.
    Two things that worry me a bit, though:
    1) The new premise is a little to “X-men” for me. I get that the two have always had similarities, but the new metahumans angle is too much IMO.
    2) Culver’s work has really not been my cup of tea. He took a great concept like Justice Incarnate and made it as boring as possible in that post Infinite Frontier mini with Williamson. I’m hoping he’s better when writing solo.
    I was thinking the same thing about the X-Men angle. The X-Men's thing has always been saving mutants and protecting the world from evil mutants. Is that what the Doom Patrol is going to be?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Issue #1 Variant

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about the X-Men angle. The X-Men's thing has always been saving mutants and protecting the world from evil mutants. Is that what the Doom Patrol is going to be?
    Sort of? Their thing (under Culver anyway) is finding metas who can’t have a normal life anymore, because of the nature of their powers. Basically instead of Cyclops and Wolverine, imagine if all the X-Men looked like Glob or Beak. The DP finds those metas, and brings them to a Shelter where they can try and have a life. Because of that they will be butting heads with the JL and the SS (the SS are their most hated foes because they hate the idea of forcing metas to fight for the government or else your head gets blown off).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sort of? Their thing (under Culver anyway) is finding metas who can’t have a normal life anymore, because of the nature of their powers. Basically instead of Cyclops and Wolverine, imagine if all the X-Men looked like Glob or Beak. The DP finds those metas, and brings them to a Shelter where they can try and have a life. Because of that they will be butting heads with the JL and the SS (the SS are their most hated foes because they hate the idea of forcing metas to fight for the government or else your head gets blown off).
    I think that’s a great game plan for the team. They’ve always been considered “freaks” so now they’re trying to help others like them. Not trying to get them to join the team like they’re the X Men. Just giving them a place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think that’s a great game plan for the team. They’ve always been considered “freaks” so now they’re trying to help others like them. Not trying to get them to join the team like they’re the X Men. Just giving them a place to live.
    ^^^It IS a great game plan I agree.
    The X-Men (even before becoming a villainous Krakoa’s death cult) always seemed more interested in recruiting new Soldiers than anything else.

Some preview art:

And a new interview!
    ZACK QUAINTANCE: What drew each of you to working on Unstoppable Doom Patrol?

DENNIS CULVER: I was having a call with my editor, Ben Abernathy, as Future State: Gotham was wrapping up, talking about what’s next. [Chris Burnham] and I — along with Josh Williamson — had worked on a section of Justice League Incarnate where Burnham drew the history of every crisis that has ever happened. So Ben said, you guys work so well together, you should do something together.

Through him and I talking, I had an idea for a Robotman story, which ends up being issue #3, but I also went on a rant about how everything in the DC Universe revolves around the Justice League. There aren’t other franchises in the way Marvel has the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, and all that stuff. I thought Doom Patrol should be its own pillar in the DC Universe. Ben said we should just do a Doom Patrol book. There’s a TV show, and there should be a book.

So I texted Burnham, and he was immediately like, ‘Hell yeah.’ It evolved from there.

Secret bases! The Brain and Mallah !

I think we had one or two short stories with them in anthologies? I feel like it is about time someone did a full one-shot with them

This looks great!

The Brain in a robo gorilla. That could lead to some… weird things with Mallah.

Doom Patrol related question.

Whatever happened to Robert Crane the original Robotman?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Doom Patrol related question.

Whatever happened to Robert Crane the original Robotman?
    He’s most likely still around somewhere. His sidekick Robbie the Robot Dog is currently appearing in Stargirl: The Lost Children mini series. So maybe Crane will show up at the end.

But that version of Robotman has never had anything to do with the Doom Patrol. In fact Arnold Drake’s original Robotman-Cliff Steele was named Automoton possibly to differentiate him from the Golden Age version. Though he states he knew the name was terrible so ended up renaming him Robotman by the team’s third appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    He’s most likely still around somewhere. His sidekick Robbie the Robot Dog is currently appearing in Stargirl: The Lost Children mini series. So maybe Crane will show up at the end.

But that version of Robotman has never had anything to do with the Doom Patrol. In fact Arnold Drake’s original Robotman-Cliff Steele was named Automoton possibly to differentiate him from the Golden Age version. Though he states he knew the name was terrible so ended up renaming him Robotman by the team’s third appearance.
    ^^^Awesome info, Ty!

You know I never realized it but, both the DP and the Fantastic Four have a re-imagined version of a WWII character in their lineups.

I love how the DP/FF/X-Men, and Challengers of The Unknown all weave in and out of each other in their creations!