Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The Sins Rising and Last Remains arcs work pretty well on their own terms, though I think Harry Osborn fans can feel legitimately displeased.
    After Last Remains came out I went on an eleven-month Spite Spree. I spent money on a Wordpress website that turned out to be an indelicately large financial commitment, wrote an article, got nominated for an award for said article by people I respect very much (!!!?!?!), decided comics in general were no longer for me, did some critical analysis of my own mental health, wrote some fanfiction, decided that Canon is no longer a concept I really believe in, made some new friends (hard as that probably is to believe) and knuckled down on my own writing. No run on anything, no writing decision, no book, no movie, no TV show, no Star Wars, nothing in the world of fiction has EVER motivated me into such a Fuck This frenzy as the "You think this is just another hallucination, poor Harry is hearing voices" scene and everything that followed it did.

F for the story but man, a solid A+ for getting me off my arse.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    After Last Remains came out I went on an eleven-month Spite Spree. I spent money on a Wordpress website that turned out to be an indelicately large financial commitment, wrote an article, got nominated for an award for said article by people I respect very much (!!!?!?!), decided comics in general were no longer for me, did some critical analysis of my own mental health, wrote some fanfiction, decided that Canon is no longer a concept I really believe in, made some new friends (hard as that probably is to believe) and knuckled down on my own writing. No run on anything, no writing decision, no book, no movie, no TV show, no Star Wars, nothing in the world of fiction has EVER motivated me into such a Fuck This frenzy as the "You think this is just another hallucination, poor Harry is hearing voices" scene and everything that followed it did.

That's weirdly uplifting. As Ben fan I can understand completly what that last 10 issues made you feel.

I think the general consensus on Spencer's run was it started well but the Kindred arc dragged.

My personal opinion on Spencer's run is it started well but it started going downhill with the Sins Rising arc. The Kindred arc also dragged. Overall, better than the current Wells run but not as good as the early Slott run.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    That's weirdly uplifting. As Ben fan I can understand completly what that last 10 issues made you feel.
    Thank you! God I feel so bad for Ben fans right now. Sorry man.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

BANNED

You went through about seven months worth of what I know takes people seven or so years.

Reading this was a thrill and a half. Thanks for sharing, Panic!

And you're right--Harry would absolutely have a Cubone, and doggedly refuse to evolve it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Reading this was a thrill and a half. Thanks for sharing, Panic!

And you're right--Harry would absolutely have a Cubone, and doggedly refuse to evolve it :P
    Thank you! That's very nice of you to say so and glad you saw the blog.

It's occurred to me that eventually, the people who hopped on the Spite Train after OMD will have a say in Spider-Man 616 related matters, and I do look quite forward to that day.

Thank you! That's very nice of you to say so and glad you saw the blog.

It's occurred to me that eventually, the people who hopped on the Spite Train after OMD will have a say in Spider-Man 616 related matters, and I do look quite forward to that day.
    I do wonder what the next gen of Spidey writers will go for: they've had the least exposure to MJ in the books, but also the most awareness of OMD and everything around it. Gen Z Spidey is going to be a hoot, regardless

I do wonder what the next gen of Spidey writers will go for: they've had the least exposure to MJ in the books, but also the most awareness of OMD and everything around it. Gen Z Spidey is going to be a hoot, regardless
    I don’t think we’ve even had a millennial regular ASM writer and now you’re talking about Gen Z?

BANNED

You act as if Gen Z don't read back issues. Plenty of them are aware Peter and MJ used to be married, plenty of them play video games and watch movies and grow up on the idea Peter and MJ are meant to be together, don't underestimate their capacity to write that relationship.

Astonishing Member

The feeling that Spencer was going to reverse OMD was the only thing that was carrying that run. Otherwise it was just a retread of tired plot points done in a way that Peter could SAY that he was progressing without actually changing anything in his life.

Weirdly Spider-Man writers have been older for some time.

For 30+ years from September 1972 to December 2007, the series was dominated by writers who were a few years older than Gerry Conway, or a few years younger.

When Brand New Day, we got a new generation, but that group's still on the series, with Dan Slott, Joe Kelly and Zeb Wells all in their mid-40s to mid-50s.

Whether we get someone ten (born 1987) or twenty years younger (born 1997) than Zeb Wells as a future writer, it will be a big shift. Another potential issue is fragmentation. Younger readers have access to a lot of back issues. Some of them will read them all, and some them will consider older narration a dealbreaker. Some of them may have got into the comics through Spider-Girl. Some of them might have got into it through Ultimate Spider-Man. Some of them might think the love of Peter Parker's life is a biracial arty girl who went with him to high school, and was smart enough to get into MIT.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

For 30+ years from September 1972 to December 2007, the series was dominated by writers who were a few years older than Gerry Conway, or a few years younger.

When Brand New Day, we got a new generation, but that group's still on the series, with Dan Slott, Joe Kelly and Zeb Wells all in their mid-40s to mid-50s.

Whether we get someone ten (born 1987) or twenty years younger (born 1997) than Zeb Wells as a future writer, it will be a big shift. Another potential issue is fragmentation. Younger readers have access to a lot of back issues. Some of them will read them all, and some them will consider older narration a dealbreaker. Some of them may have got into the comics through Spider-Girl. Some of them might have got into it through Ultimate Spider-Man. Some of them might think the love of Peter Parker's life is a biracial arty girl who went with him to high school, and was smart enough to get into MIT.
    very tru i was born in the 90s pretty much seen a ton of his love interest and their variants and I like the ones I like. Doesn't make me a bad person or less than a fan and if my ship isnt feature no big deal the writers arent attacking me personally.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Exactly this!

You can't underestimate the power of first exposure. When I look at my relationship to Spidey, my touchstones--1994 TAS, Ultimate, JMS, Raimi and Webb movies--have shaped my views, takes, and opinions on the franchise much more profoundly than the 60 years of ASM on which I only read up ~10 years ago.

You can see it in current writers: Spencer worked to salvage a lot of stuff from the late 80s. Wells, with Inferno, slobbering Venom and Ben Reilly sits somewhere on the edge of 80\90s Spidey. Cates's venom run is defined by the 90s--Lethal Protector, Maximum Carnage, etc. They're remixing their favorite childhood stories.

So, yeah, of course newer fans will know about the marriage--same way I knew about the Claremont X-Men without reading any of it until this year. It'll be a continuity touchstone. Question is, will it be something they love enough to resurrect.

IDK. We'll see!

I, for one, look forward to a JMS superfan hijacking the series in ten years time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    very tru i was born in the 90s pretty much seen a ton of his love interest and their variants and I like the ones I like. Doesn't make me a bad person or less than a fan and if my ship isnt feature no big deal the writers arent attacking me personally.
    Bless you, JMan27. We'll always have Ultimate Gwen Stacy