Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Krypton and Daxam vist the MU

Jor-el realizes that the DCU is a bad place for Krypton, some folks are going to try to explode it. He realizes that under a yellow sun, Kryptonians will be awesome. He is also aware of Daxamites having the same potential.

Thus, he invents a portal to switch universes. He convinces the governments of Krypton and Daxam to go along. They aware that the MU has its share of menaces but looking into DC future, doesn't see the same number of endless universe cleansing crises. So off the two planets go to a unoccupied system with a nice yellow sun to charge up the population - who learn to use their powers. The planets also use their science to arm up.

How do they fair if the usual MU menaces show up? Galactus, Phoenix to eat their sun, the various empires - Skrull, Kree, Shi'ar, Thanos, etc. In the Great Darkness Saga, Darkseid decided to take a hike when 3 billion pissed off Daxamites were heading for him.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

In general I'd assume the Kryptonians can take on any of the empires but would be just as helpless as they are against Galactus. The Kryptonians would be smarter to just pick up and move elsewhere if Galactus showed up, given each would be capable of independent interstellar flight.

That's also the most likely scenario to put them into conflict with groups like the Kree, Skrulls, or Nova Corps. Some group of kryptonians, probably left by Zod, would just takeover suitable planets. But there are few beings in those forces who can take a modern Kryptonian.

Daxam... Pretty much the same logic applies, but they are of course easier to stop once the lead weakness emerges.

Astonishing Member

I always thought the lead weakness was silly. As compared to Kryptonite which strikes at a distance. Lead has to be ingested or inhaled. A Daxamite with a respirator would suffice. Also, we have pretty good chelating treatments for lead poisoning. I would think super science folks would have even better preventive and treatment options. Given Daxamites some body armor and respirators and they are good to go against lead.

The lead weakness has always been hilarious to me.

"Well, this person is invulnerable to everything except specifically the most common thing that is going to be shot at them on Earth."

I can vaguely accept something like compartmentalized durability, our brains can pretty easily wrap around the idea of "stabby is worse than punchy!" as a concept, even if they shouldn't (there are some reasons blunt weapons worked just fine vs armored opponents in the medieval period y'know as far as screwing them up).

But "Captain Invulnerable has one weakness! The bullets being shot at him!" is just wild.

Yeah, but then DC has (either currently or historically) a bunch of those stupid weaknesses.

Fire? Fair enough, I guess. Some things are particularly susceptible to fire.

But wood? The colour yellow?

“Oh noes!! A lemon! My mortal foe!”
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    The colour yellow?

Bullseye with a lemon vs Pre-Crisis Hal Jordan.

Astonishing Member

Yellow - the way it was implemented was stupid. To be technical, 'yellow' is perceptual effect based on the primate trichromatic visual system, which produced a blue-yellow opponent system. You can see yellow (with a normal visual system) by light in the 570-580 nm band. OR, a mixture of red and green appearing wavelengths.

Now I could see that light in the 570-580 nm range could interfere with the physics of the power ring. Certain reactions are wavelength dependent. But it wasn't stated that way.

Similarly, the emotional spectrum was ridiculous as it is based on primate vision that evolved on Earth - way, way after the supposed 'emotional' spectrum and their cooties came about. GL writes know crap about vision or astronomy.

The big green boxing glove not impacted some yellow dude was a lack of GL imagination. Oh, you are wearing yellow paint. Hey, the air next to you is now 8000 degrees F. Surprise.

Yeah, but then DC has (either currently or historically) a bunch of those stupid weaknesses.

Fire? Fair enough, I guess. Some things are particularly susceptible to fire.

But wood? The colour yellow?

My thing is, none of those are the most common response some criminal, or even, let's say a local army, is going to have to a superhero getting up in their business or to some alien just showing up and rolling around. But bullets?
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-18-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    My thing is, none of those are the most common response some criminal, or even, let's say a local army, is going to have to a superhero getting up in their business or to some alien just showing up and rolling around. But bullets?
    I think that's why you don't see Daxamites running around in "present day" DC stories. In fact, I vaguely recall one version of Mon El's origin story where he gets lead poisoned on his first day on earth and needs to go to the Phantom Zone until technology advances enough to treat him. Which is coincidentally far enough in the future that people use ray guns instead of bullets.

Astonishing Member

Since it is reported now that dark Chocolate has significant lead in it, I would throw such truffles at them to win the day. In the Great Darkness Saga, Element Dude turned part of the atmosphere into lead to take out some of Darkseid's Daxamites. Now how to you do that? Lead gas - what type?

Stupid weakness. Wear a respirator.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    In the Great Darkness Saga, Element Dude turned part of the atmosphere into lead to take out some of Darkseid's Daxamites. Now how to you do that? Lead gas - what type?
    He's Element Lad. Wouldn't be hard for him to transform various air molecules into free-floating lead atoms. Dude could mess around with atoms even if they were part of a molecule. CO2? Now becomes three lead atoms. Etc. Yes, it's magic.

Lead particulate doesn't instantly fall to the ground. It can stay in the air up to an hour or more, and if it were done in the higher altitudes would obviously stay in the air for longer periods. Free-floating lead atoms? Would stay in the air a whole lot longer.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Since it is reported now that dark Chocolate has significant lead in it, I would throw such truffles at them to win the day. In the Great Darkness Saga, Element Dude turned part of the atmosphere into lead to take out some of Darkseid's Daxamites. Now how to you do that? Lead gas - what type?

Stupid weakness. Wear a respirator.
    Skim-reading, I totally read that last part as “Stupid weakness. Wear a velociraptor.”
    Chief Curmudgeon

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Skim-reading, I totally read that last part as “Stupid weakness. Wear a velociraptor.”
    That's the most interesting thread-drift/bleed I've seen in a while!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Daxamites flying around with velociraptors strapped to their heads. I'd read that comic.

Damnit, I love this thread now, and if not for the silly weakness of the Daxamites, it would have never happened.