Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

No spoilers, just a wild theory about the SAL Season 3 finale ...

Take 3 publicly known facts about the show going forward:

1. Lex Luthor will be a main cast member in Season 4.

2. Sam Lane will not be returning at all (cut mainly for budget reasons) for Season 4.

3. Season 3 will end on a cliffhanger leading into next year's premiere for Season 4.

Put those together and here's my crazy theory:

Lex Luthor is going to kill Sam Lane in the Season 3 finale, but we won't know he succeeded until the Season 4 premiere.

Superman And Lois is going to give Lex his missing "Death In The Family" (Joker killing Jason Todd) moment ... and Sam is the perfect victim of his wrath.

Superman And Lois are untouchable. The twins are as well.

John Henry is an active superhero in other media, and so is Nat, while the Lang/Cushings are non-combatants (plus all 6 are gone anyway next season due to budget cuts).

Sam is already a grandpa with teenage grandsons, whose other grandparents are dead. Circle of Life stuff.

Also, the Department of Defense lose their link to Superman (who has already shown he doesn't play well with anyone not named Sam Lane at the DOD).

It's all just a fan theory, and probably not at all what's going to go down this Tuesday, but I dunno ...

Scale of 1 (not likely at all) to 10 (extremely likely), what do you think?

I'll be shocked if Sam makes it out alive this season.

holy **** that ending.....i guess we know now where all the budget went. And why the show got renewed, ending like that would have been insane. lol, awesome season, today was a good day to be a Superman fan.
    Also Sam is straight up not going to be in the next season? How?
    >One complaint, Bizzaro, like whats his deal? Is he feral now? Why not make more of an effort to kill Lex? Why does he still want our Clark dead? I'm just going with he's mostly just an animal now that Lex tamed.
    >this is pretty far from my ideal take on Luthor, but its solid for what it is. Since the show is basically Superman 20 years later, makes sense to do something slightly different. How we see some of the scientist genius next episode.
    >Guess this Superman also doesn't have a no kill rule. He really did try to kill Doomsday.
    >Guess all of Smallville was horny, i thought the Kents would move to Metropolis, more like everyone else just leaves
    >Jordan is a little ****, especially recently but glad to see some growth
    > they did the thing again! sort of partially, recreated that shot from MOS with Superman punching zod thing, man, wb may not like that movie but that do like that shot
    >superman 4 vibes on the moon
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 06-27-2023 at 06:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I guess they had to do it before the show ended. They set everything up for it. Superboy. Steel. Even the costume Bizarro arrived in last season. Here we go!
    Assassinate Putin!

Everyone going about their lives, trying to move forward, but all it takes is one Lex Luthor to wreck everything...

This felt like a very full circle finale in a lot of ways. Like the season started out with Clark and Lois getting busy in Italy on Tal's dime while this finale saw them get intimate again in said Italian abode. The season started out with Lois thinking she might be pregnant again and the family dealing with that, but now Chrissy is legitimately pregnant. Sam Lane is finally getting back into dating (with disastrous consequences). We even have a moment like in the first episode of the entire series where Clark's love for his family, and Lois, gives him the second wind he needs to keep fighting.

I'm glad Clark and Lois decided on a family trip because, honestly, the Kents could really use a chance to kick back, relax, and reconnect after how strained things have gotten between the Kents and the boys. Although they'll probably be too busy to actually go next season, unfortunately.

Chrissy is pregnant! I mean, wow. Were they not using protection? Did it just happen by chance? Honestly I didn't expect the relationship between Kyle and Chrissy to develop that much. I guess Sophie and Sarah will have a new sibling. Lana handled finding out better than I expected, and seems to want to treat the child like she's a doting aunt, so hopefully that gets to happen.

Steelworks! I love that they're finally setting it up, and the Irons' moving to Metropolis, even if it might also separate them from the Kents and also ruin John Henry's burgeoning romance with Lana.

Matteo is at the DEO school? Even though he's just basically a normal kid? Is he going to end up in the government or DEO college or...?

Poor Sam. First it seems like he's finally getting some action, even embarrassing his grandkids (including Natalie!) over it, but it was just a plant from Luthor. Don't keep breaking this poor old mans' heart. And wait, isn't Dylan Walsh not coming back next season? Are they just going to kill Sam off-screen?

Clean shaven Coach Gaines! Poor Jon not gaining a single inch back into his good graces no matter how hard he tries. I hope Coach Gaines makes it back to season 4 though.

Every adult is having sex on the show at this point, though I guess for John Henry it's probably the first action he's had since his wife and Lana's probably the first time since she broke up with a Kyle...so probably a lot of pent up emotion coming through as they get busy.

I'm genuinely shocked Otis survived. Are we actually going to learn more about Luthor's other goons? Or are they just there to fill out his mook quota?

I'm glad Clark finally took Jordan to task for how he's treating Sarah and finally gave him the speech about what it means to really be a hero. Jordan may have done irreparable harm to his friendship with Sarah, but at least he apologized and seems to be trying to be more mature.

I feel bad for Bizarro. Lex starts torturing him and killing him to mutate him into an unstoppable killing machine and Bizarro goes along with it because he just wants the pain of his life to end. Even Superman could see just how twisted he'd become.

It is kind of amusing that this version of Lex only sees Superman as an impediment to getting at Lois rather than his main obsession, though I wonder if that might shift next season.

No wonder they're cutting back the budget next season, they probably went above and beyond what they have just to do Bizarro as Doomsday. Which is another full circle moment because the Bizarro twist in season 2 ends up being turned around when Bizarro DOES become Doomsday in all his giant bone-breaking glory!

Kyle really just interrupted Coach Gains' speech to propose to Chrissy, huh? I guess that's karma for Gaines' treatment of Jon. Although it kind of made Lana a little more uncomfortable, though at least there wasn't the awkwardness of if Chrissy had said "no."

Welp, there goes the barn.

Honestly I feel like the Steels and Jordan would've gotten pulverized had they interfered in the fight.

Of course they end it on a cliffhanger of Superman and Doomsday charging at each other...on the moon...with both their fates resting on what's in store for us in season 4. Though to be honest I feel like if they were actually going to have Doomsday kill Clark this time around, they would've ended it on that instead of on the fight. Though I guess we'll see.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    My theory on the cliffhanger-y ending is that Bizarro/Inverse Superman will turn into Doomsday in the final episode somehow and kill Clark because it's the 30th anniversary of that damn storyline and Superman can't escape it.
    Bait-y ending for CW to renew the show for another season.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I guess they had to do it before the show ended. They set everything up for it. Superboy. Steel. Even the costume Bizarro arrived in last season. Here we go!
    Just missing Tal whose in another universe.

Astonishing Member

I just felt like so much of this was a waste based on what we now know about Season 4.

John Henry and Nat moving to Metropolis and being more involved with the DOD. Falls flat when neither of the actors (or the actor playing their boss) are coming back.

Same with Kyle and Chrissie- nice character development moment, but destined to not really have follow-up.
    Lana and John Henry- also not going anywhere after finally paying off the setting up that took part of last season and most of this season.

This would have been a great season ender if we were getting the same show back next season. But now it just felt like stuff that kept them from getting to the final fight before the hour ended.

Are you guys ready for the reign next season?
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll be shocked if Sam makes it out alive this season.
    They might as well take him out

They could do a lot to thin out the cast right now

I thought Chrissy was kidding at first lol. Damn her and Kyle having a kid actually would be an interesting progression of their plotline. Too bad nothing is likely to come of it now.

Clark and Lois get to have sex in the coolest places

John and Nat moving back to Metropolis to build Steelworks sounds cool… but the writers are really missing the point of Steel by having him build stuff for the military. His whole origin in the comics is that he doesn’t want to be involved in the arms business anymore! It’s crazy to me that some of the writers for this will dunk on the New 52 for getting stuff wrong and then just blatantly miss the point of Steel’s motives like that. Morrison had Steel quit working for the military in the same issue they introduced him is all I’m saying.

Lois’ reaction to Chrissy’s reveal was hilarious.

Damn Lex isn’t wasting time, fresh out of jail and already killing people.

Jordan giving off major school shooter vibes. Well that’s the last time Sam tried to date again. Given he isn’t returning next season I wonder if they’ll actually have Lex kill him off. Would help cement Lex as a major threat.

Lmao congrats to Steel, he finally hooks up with Lana!

Poor Bizarro. Even in death his suffering never ends. And Jesus this Doomsday take is a weird mixture of the DCEU and Superman IV. They even end the season with a fight on the moon just like Superman IV! Think this is the first time we actually see Doomsday’s “evolution” deal incorporated into the fight. Beats BvS simply because Clark actually bleeds at one point.

Heh that was cheesy as hell but I enjoyed it. Probably the best season of show, if it had ended on that shot people would’ve been so pissed. They get one more season to wrap things up so here’s to hoping they can do that better than The Flash did.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I thought Chrissy was kidding at first lol. Damn her and Kyle having a kid actually would be an interesting progression of their plotline. Too bad nothing is likely to come of it now.

Clark and Lois get to have sex in the coolest places

John and Nat moving back to Metropolis to build Steelworks sounds cool… but the writers are really missing the point of Steel by having him build stuff for the military. His whole origin in the comics is that he doesn’t want to be involved in the arms business anymore! It’s crazy to me that some of the writers for this will dunk on the New 52 for getting stuff wrong and then just blatantly miss the point of Steel’s motives like that. Morrison had Steel quit working for the military in the same issue they introduced him is all I’m saying.

Lois’ reaction to Chrissy’s reveal was hilarious.

Damn Lex isn’t wasting time, fresh out of jail and already killing people.

Jordan giving off major school shooter vibes. Well that’s the last time Sam tried to date again. Given he isn’t returning next season I wonder if they’ll actually have Lex kill him off. Would help cement Lex as a major threat.

Lmao congrats to Steel, he finally hooks up with Lana!

Poor Bizarro. Even in death his suffering never ends. And Jesus this Doomsday take is a weird mixture of the DCEU and Superman IV. They even end the season with a fight on the moon just like Superman IV! Think this is the first time we actually see Doomsday’s “evolution” deal incorporated into the fight. Beats BvS simply because Clark actually bleeds at one point.

Heh that was cheesy as hell but I enjoyed it. Probably the best season of show, if it had ended on that shot people would’ve been so pissed. They get one more season to wrap things up so here’s to hoping they can do that better than The Flash did.
    Honestly if Lex really wants to break Lois, killing her dad would be pretty effective in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly if Lex really wants to break Lois, killing her dad would be pretty effective in that respect.
    Yeah I actually think Lex killing Sam would make for a stronger final season. S&L has been all about family, having Lex murder one of the family in cold blood would be a great way to heighten his threat factor and up the stakes.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Overall, thought the episode was rather slow at first, but the back half really picked up and made up for it and then some.

I gotta give it to the musical score this season (and overall, generally speaking; I'll never forget the Primus reference in a past season). Ministry N.W.O. (New World Order) while Lex is killing Bizarro over and over again. Perfect 90s metal song. (sidebar, this was a staple at my favorite bar back home back in the day; another sidebar, listening to the song while writing this post as wife promptly leaves the room ) Then more 90s perfection with Soundgarden, Blow Up the Outside World ("nothing seems to kill me" line at that), another 90s gem during the Doomsday battle. 90s galore! Glorious!

Oh, and kudos to Lex's tape collection. Gonna have to rewatch to see what else is there, lol.

Was Sam's "girlfriend" Miss Tessmacher I wonder? At least Otis survived, missing ear notwithstanding.

One of the funniest lines in this and any season was the "Dad, that shirt is way too 1991 Wesley Snipes." "That's a bad thing?" Then he shows up wearing it after the other shirt being torn off in passion. Just great.

Hmmm, lots of 90s easter eggs going on...
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 06-29-2023 at 05:02 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Spectacular Member

This origin of Doomsday is the same as Superman TAS.
    Where they take a Superman clone and torture him until he turns into Doomsday.
    Obviously in TAS Doomsday jobs to Justice Lord Superman.