Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I will say, while not the BEST start, I AM a little more invested than I'd thought I'd be. I will say I almost rolled my eyes when Atom Man had seemingly Kryptonian powers like super strength and flight, but I suppose I'm a bit more unfamiliar with the character. That said when the Onomatopoeia looking guy showed up I became more interested in how this guy would deal with Superman. I'm wondering if prisoned Lex is funding Bruno Manheim. Also...it seems John Irons wasn't the greatest dude in this universe. I wonder if there will be an interaction with his sister...Did John have a sister in his universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I watch it for exactly the same reason. There's usually some little bit like Lois teaching Jon how to drive and being so Lois at it, that makes me smile. However, I can definitely see the point coming where I tap out because the show is too much of a slog to get through.
    Fair enough, I don’t mean to defend the show’s shortcomings, they’re plain and obvious for all to see. I just don’t think that when there’s all this great Superman content, either out now or in the pipeline, that it makes much sense to keep up with any Superman content you don’t enjoy. It’s why I dropped Tom Taylor’s books after he botched SSOKE. Hope the show picks up for you.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-16-2023 at 03:51 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Thoughts of #SupermanAndLois season 3 episode 1 "Closer". Spoilers follow ...

1. We're back! Dang, I missed this show.

A LOT has happened in the Superverse since the Season 2 finale and the Season 3 premiere ... and almost none of it has to do with the onscreen product of this show.

Well, other than it will probably get at least one more season after this one, either back on The CW or elsewhere like HBOmax.

2. First impression of the new season: it's weird when so many unconnected people now know the secret identity.

Lois, Jonathan, and Jordan obviously know. So do John Henry, Nat, and Sam. I'm good with that. But Lana and Beppo (I refuse to use her first name, for comedic effect) also know. Even Sarah (ugh) knows. That feels like too many people.

3. I don't get how Tyler Hoechlin still somehow looks more impressive out of costume than in it.

He looks great in civilian clothing as Clark but often looks weird in the suit as Superman (opposite of Henry Cavill's problem: his Superman looks amazing but his Clark doesn't feel quite right).

One of the most consistent gripes I've had about this show is that every season that Supersuit strangely looks a little worse.

4. Really hoping Season 3 will be a major course correction for Bitsie Tulloch's Lois Lane.

I want to see The World's Greatest Journalist in action this season. Give me more Professional Lois and less Domestic(ated) Lois. Put her back in Metropolis.

5. The New Jonathan seems promising.

The scenes where he bonds with his brother Jordan and awkwardly encounters Beppo with his friends felt natural.

6. Jordan looks like he's going to have a major arc right off the bat.

Clark training Jordan in and out of the new Fortress was great. The sparring with the Fortress Droid, the racing across the oceans. There's something cool seeing Clark (not as Superman) flying over the ocean at superspeed in regular clothes.

Clark angrily grounding Jordan because Jordan tried to save people but instead made things worse (due to his inexperience) was strangely relatable to anyone who's had to raise a kid.

7. So glad the pregnancy tease was ultimately just a misdirect.

I cannot think of a single TV show where having a baby did anything for that show. Bullet: dodged.

8. The fight between Superman and Atom Man was great.

They clearly save their biggest piece of the budget for the fight scenes. The SFX were better than expected, and that battle was definitely pulling from Man Of Steel.

9. Still don't care for any of the Lana Lang clan at all.

I really they dial all 3 or 4 of these characters way down. I'm not tuning in for any of them. I don't care about their divorce (tho I appreciate the one night stand between human punching bag Kyle and weirdo Beppo ... that was funny).

Sarah expecting Jordan and her to simply go back to being just friends after she rejected him was unrealistic but realistically high schooler of her. She should be giving him space to get over it. Dislike that she knows the secret.

10. Nat Irons and Sam Lane was really good.

Sam absolutely blew an opportunity to connect with his A.U. granddaughter by trying to sell her on joining his DOD Academy instead of enjoying their horror movie outing together. And John Henry was so right to call him out on that. Speaking of Steel ...

11. John Henry Irons rules.

Wole Parks continues to be one of the best parts of the show. Come a long way since "Captain Luthor". Hope they made some improvements on his Steel costume this year.

And I guess they're moving towards John Henry and Lana being a thing (as it was in the comix).

12. Bruno Mannheim ... and Onomatopoeia ?

The leader of Intergang has screen presence in the final scene. But that silent Lotus-face guy sure appears to be a new version of the Green Arrow villain Onomatopoeia. Weird if true.

Bottom Line: Lot of table-setting, but I don't mind. Happy the show is back. Happy they finished filming all scenes before the season premiere aired (so there shouldn't be any more of those ridiculous momentum-killing 5-week hiatuses like last season). Can't wait for next week's episode.

Grade: B.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What hit me was how abrupt it was. One minute they're talking about how much their life sucks and the next it's the morning after and they're in bed together.

I guess that happens in real life, but it felt pretty quick. Though maybe the alcohol helped.
    Lol, prob right.

Out of all the sex jokes and innuendo, the only thing missing was a Warworld costume reference.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Fair enough, I don’t mean to defend the show’s shortcomings, they’re plain and obvious for all to see. I just don’t think that when there’s all this great Superman content, either out now or in the pipeline, that it makes much sense to keep up with any Superman content you don’t enjoy. It’s why I dropped Tom Taylor’s books after he botched SSOKE. Hope the show picks up for you.
    If there were another Superman show out there right now I could watch, I'd probably be much less forgiving to S&L, but, for the time being, it's the only option if you want to see new Superman stuff on TV, outside of the Tomorrowverse DTVs, which I've completely given up on after the shitshow that was the LSH movie that pulled the exact same 'shocking twist' as three of the previous ones had.

Fingers crossed that My Adventures with Superman is better than what we're getting right now. Legacy is too far off for me to give too much thought about yet, but I'm sure that whatever Gunn comes up with will be at least interesting.

They were pretty obvious about Lois having a cancer diagnosis though unsurprisingly they dragged out the reveal as long as they possibly could have. Hypothetically would Clark have seen it if he'd used his X-Ray Vision on her? Although I guess it would be weird to just randomly X-Ray your wife.

Well, there's another major difference between Natalie and Natasha Irons...Nat likes boys while Natasha was a lesbian. I'm actually surprised they didn't make her gay in this after they casually had Sarah be bi in season 2 (although that hasn't come up again since she kissed that girl she tried to make Jordan meet).

Welp, there goes George Dean. Pretty brutal way to go out. Also making Onomatopoeia a Superman-level threat with those sonic attacks. Looks like the mask transforms too?

I never took into account there probably being a bit of an age difference between Kyle and Chrissy...which only seems relevant because Kyle seems to want to better get to know her. I mean, he can't be the shoulder his ex-wife cries on any more so he might as well do something with himself.

Why would Sarah care about Dean's death? Oh, suddenly she and George Jr. were childhood friends.

Lana and John Henry finally have a legitimate conversation and eat lunch together...though ultimately it was just to get both of them involved in the Intergang plot. What would Intergang want with Smallville? Although now they're main issue is how John Henry Irons is still alive.

It's funny how we had all the Kents' in Metropolis for their own storylines. I miss Metropolis.

Matteo seemed nice but I guess we'll probably never see him again because Natalie didn't get his number and doesn't seem bothered by the fact that she didn't.

I admire the kids' responsibility to play beer pong without actually drinking the beer.

The girl seemed shallow (and hot) and I respect Jon trying to stay loyal to his girlfriend...although at least this one didn't sell him drugs and get him into trouble for it.

Wow, Intergang couldn't have been any more obviously shady to Lois and Clark than they were in that instance.

Are Sarah and Jordan finally going to stop being awkward around each other? I hope so. I wonder if the endgame is them as besties instead of a romance though.

Intergang having cameras that can spot Superman gave me Invisible Mafia vibes.

Ha! They pulled the "Superman confronts the villain in their fancy balcony" scene only this time it's Bruno Manheim instead of Lex...even though we know Lex is going to show up. You also have to love how a crime boss who commits crimes, kills people, and commits human rights violations tries to lecture a selfless Superhero who genuinely saves lives and the planet on numerous occasions because he didn't do enough for a specific community. Like, Superman can't solve all the world's problems much as he might like too, but that's no excuse to be a criminal or act like you're better just because you use your influence to make Suicide Slums better (on paper).

I knew Lois was going to bring out her cancer to talk the judge down, even though Superman would probably have saved her anyways. I'm actually surprised she didn't get sniped by Intergang so she didn't talk.

Well, Onomatopoeia can actually talk which is a change from the comics. And seems to have a commanding presence in Intergang rivaling Manheim. And also sounds like a woman.

What an emotional whiplash, coming back from your wild teen party subplot to find out your mom has breast cancer. At least the family is there for Lois.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I had to check Wikipedia to find out that Nat was never firmly established as either a lesbian or bisexual, so I guess they're in the clear there, but it still feels like a strange choice to make when there are so few straight up lesbian superheroes with the vast majority of them being bi. But this show is overflowing with baffling creative choices sometimes.

Looks like Smallville is now nearby Metropolis again, just like in the old 'Smallville' TV show days. Another baffling choice that begs the question why Clark and his family visited so rarely, but maybe the writers are hoping we've forgotten the entire premise of the pilot.

I really wish I had the confidence that this show was capable of handling Lois dying of cancer well, but I really don't. It is however, a fantastic dramatic hook for them to use for the season.

Goddamnit, Superman & Lois continues to have just enough red meat for me to keep watching, while also consistently disappointing me episode after episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I had to check Wikipedia to find out that Nat was never firmly established as either a lesbian or bisexual, so I guess they're in the clear there, but it still feels like a strange choice to make when there are so few straight up lesbian superheroes with the vast majority of them being bi. But this show is overflowing with baffling creative choices sometimes.
    I guess they get that leeway because she's not strictly Natasha Irons even though she's ostensibly the shows' take on her.

Thoughts on #SupermanAndLois s3e02 "Uncontrollable Forces":

1. That opening had definite "Up" vibes (yeah, the very sad kind).

It totally read right from the start as Lois Lane finding out she has cancer. Now I wonder how they're going to use this angle during the season. This show doesn't have a great track record of dealing with illnesses long-term (more on that in a bit).

2. Jordan coming off as cringingly desperate with Sarah yet again.

I almost rather these two not share any more scenes together this season. Or ever really.

3. And like, is Jordan just completely "cured" of his anxiety now?

There's been zero mention of it for a long time. Kinda like they abruptly decided they couldn't write about that stuff and mix it with superheroics convincingly after season 1.

3. What can this show possibly do with Jonathan so that he's not always this extra wheel in the family?

Can't think of any obvious arc for him at this point other than maybe following in his mom's footsteps professionally.

4. First time Sarah hasn't annoyed me all series.

Her genuine friendship with Nat is actually good to see, as well as her sticking up for Jordan with Preppy McPrepperson at the Metropolis party.

5. Nat gets a glow-up.

Like seeing her chillin' among teens other than her "brothers" and Sarah. Can't tell if Matteo exists elsewhere in the franchise or is a total invention of the show but wouldn't mind seeing him around the crew.

Alright, enough with the kids, onto the grownups ...

6. Kyle and Beppo post-hookup realizing their age gap was hilariously awkward.

7. This is a MUCH different take on Bruno Mannheim.

In the comix, he's almost a cartoonishly Dick Tracy-style villain. This Bruno has got WAY more gravitas, whether or not he's the head of Intergang. I don't think haven't seen anyone call out Superman that harshly before and possibly be right. Very interested to see more of him.

8. All aboard the John Henry Irons X Lana Lang ship!

Just like this was Sarah's best episode IMO, this is most likeable I've found SAL's Lana. John Henry and Lana were an official thing in the comix, and quite honestly it's the best pairing with the most potential for either character.

9. "You're much stronger than you think you are".

One of the best Superman lines / scenes ever ( from All-Star Superman) and they give it to Lois.

Normally I'd be very annoyed with yet another Clark gem being given to another character (glares at the late Supergirl show stealing the "For The Man Who Has Everything" storyline), but it worked in this particular case.

Also: this is the earnest flip side to that parody Homelander scene where he pushes the suicide victim to her death in The Boys.

10. I think Onomatopoeia might be a woman.

They haven't mentioned who is playing the mysterious villain AFAIK, but I just got a feeling that's part of the reveal coming this season. Interesting that it is O who killed this universe's John Henry, not Bruno.

11. Not a showcase episode for Clark.

He literally just reacted to everyone else around him getting to chew scenery. Felt like he was the only one who had to be 100% selfless all the time and offer only support.

I'm all for letting others shine once in a while, but don't forget who is the main draw for most viewers. While I love the displayed empathy, I'm not interested in watching a saint who just sits on the sidelines.

Bottom line: More set up and less action. Some great bits but noticeably lacking in other parts. Clark reduced to a bystander too much. Next episode preview looks like a needed course correction, tho, so we'll see.

Grade: B-.

New Jon actor is winning me over, I enjoyed his little chat with Jordan about how Jordan needs to move on from Sarah.

Onomatopoeia is basically Silver Banshee powerwise it seems (although they can actually use their powers to cause shotgun wounds?). Their mask is really cool. Calling it now, they will be revealed to be Dr. Irons’ sister and this Earth’s JHI only helped Intergang because he needed Intergang’s help for his sister and whatever Intergang did to her transformed her into Onomatopoeia.

Guess they’re doing JHI/Lana in S&L too.

Mr. Orr? The guy from freaking For Tomorrow? There’s another deep cut.

No way Lois is actually going to die of cancer, so only question is how will they cure that? Obviously Intergang is probably going to be involved somehow. Hats off to Tulloch, I thought she gave a great performance this episode.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-22-2023 at 09:35 PM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I thought the cancer plot was quite well done and an emotional gut punch the way they did it overall, even if it was rather obvious in hindsight. Wonder how long it will go throughout the season?

When the kids starting to all head for the party, I thought it would be a "very special episode" about drinking so was pleasantly surprised at the route it took. Put those spoiled rich preppies in their place, lol.

Found it funny how Sarah and Nat just openly talk about her being from another dimension in public spaces, i.e. that diner. I guess they're not too concerned with keeping that under wraps, ha.

Seems like they're really pushing the twins thing for Jon and Jordan, like they do all these physical moves in unison. The previous Jon actor was great and their brother relationship was pretty good, but seems like they're laying it on thick for the new guy. Seems to be working pretty well.

Bizarro notwithstanding, I think the villains are already more compelling than season 2.

Got a kick out of Clark's references to their fave old diner in Metropolis and being really bummed when it became a juice bar or coffee shop or whatever.

I hope Chrissy doesn't get relegated to completely pointless sideline character. I really liked her in previous seasons but I hope they can come up with some relevant things for her to be involved in, other than random hookup with the other completely pointless sideline character.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

New Jon actor is winning me over, I enjoyed his little chat with Jordan about how Jordan needs to move on from Sarah.

Onomatopoeia is basically Silver Banshee powerwise it seems (although they can actually use their powers to cause shotgun wounds?). Their mask is really cool. Calling it now, they will be revealed to be Dr. Irons’ sister and this Earth’s JHI only helped Intergang because he needed Intergang’s help for his sister and whatever Intergang did to her transformed her into Onomatopoeia.

Guess they’re doing JHI/Lana in S&L too.

Mr. Orr? The guy from freaking For Tomorrow? There’s another deep cut.

No way Lois is actually going to die of cancer, so only question is how will they cure that? Obviously Intergang is probably going to be involved somehow. Hats off to Tulloch, I thought she gave a great performance this episode.
    Would definitely be convenient to have it be JHI sister if there's supposed to be a reveal of who Onomatopoeia is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    I thought the cancer plot was quite well done and an emotional gut punch the way they did it overall, even if it was rather obvious in hindsight. Wonder how long it will go throughout the season?

When the kids starting to all head for the party, I thought it would be a "very special episode" about drinking so was pleasantly surprised at the route it took. Put those spoiled rich preppies in their place, lol.

Found it funny how Sarah and Nat just openly talk about her being from another dimension in public spaces, i.e. that diner. I guess they're not too concerned with keeping that under wraps, ha.

Seems like they're really pushing the twins thing for Jon and Jordan, like they do all these physical moves in unison. The previous Jon actor was great and their brother relationship was pretty good, but seems like they're laying it on thick for the new guy. Seems to be working pretty well.

Bizarro notwithstanding, I think the villains are already more compelling than season 2.

Got a kick out of Clark's references to their fave old diner in Metropolis and being really bummed when it became a juice bar or coffee shop or whatever.

I hope Chrissy doesn't get relegated to completely pointless sideline character. I really liked her in previous seasons but I hope they can come up with some relevant things for her to be involved in, other than random hookup with the other completely pointless sideline character.
    Dude playing Mannheim is great, he’s very similar to a traditional Lex so I wonder how they’re going to differentiate Lex from Mannheim. That shot of Lexcorp Tower in the background definitely set it up so that Lex is looking in the background.

Dude playing Mannheim is great, he’s very similar to a traditional Lex so I wonder how they’re going to differentiate Lex from Mannheim. That shot of Lexcorp Tower in the background definitely set it up so that Lex is looking in the background.
    They even did the balcony confrontation which is classic Supes/Lex.