Page 17 of 167 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Rosenbaum was a great Lex. IMO he and John Shea are the two best Lex actors. That said, Lex should be older but not that much older than Clark...The Lex actor should be early 30s if the Superman actor is mid-20s.
    I think Shea's Lex is a bit underrated, so I can agree on that. As far as Lex's age (were Lex to even be in this new film), I disagree in that I don't care so much about actual actor ages...older actors can still look younger and vice versa, and there's make up and gyms and special effects and camera angles and so on, so that's not a big rigid point for me when ages and our perception of them can be nebulous. It helps that all the different versions of Clark and Lex feature different disparities in age/apparent age. Ever since Hackman, I can just about buy any age difference with Lex/Superman.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-20-2022 at 11:51 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I want Lex around the same age as Clark if he shows up. Make him in his 20s same as Clark is rumored to be, the two of them being competing “Men of Tomorrow” is a key part of the relationship for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    True, but that's likely due to critical acclaim and the $200m budget (including promotion, iirc). If they can keep future budgets low and pull that consistently in, I'd let them do that, too.

You still raise a good point: if Gunn can replicate what Reeves is doing on a slightly larger scale, he may be good - and "The Batman" getting a sequel is a potential example to show it. My sinking suspicion is that since Gunn will be in charge of the "main universe," he'll have higher expectations set on him, which (for the studio, anyway) shouldn't necessarily be the case.

I hope you're right, though!
    Gunn has a good critical track record at least, and I think a Superman movie that reviews well can at least match what The Batman or maybe even Wonder Woman made if Gunn doesn’t go with the same two goddamn villains. Eventually yes, Zaslav wants his billion+ JL movie, but if he’s willing to reboot then I think he’s willing to let Gunn start building up to it first.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think Shea's Lex is a bit underrated, so I can agree on that. As far as Lex's age (were Lex to even be in this new film), I disagree in that I don't care so much about actual actor ages...older actors can still look younger and vice versa, and there's make up and gyms and special effects and camera angles and so on, so that's not a big rigid point for me when ages and our perception of them can be nebulous. It helps that all the different versions of Clark and Lex feature different disparities in age/apparent age. Ever since Hackman, I can just about buy any age difference with Lex/Superman.
    Same. I can understand some visual symmetry, but beyond that I've never understood the age fascination. Even as a kid, I didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I want Lex around the same age as Clark if he shows up. Make him in his 20s same as Clark is rumored to be, the two of them being competing “Men of Tomorrow” is a key part of the relationship for me.
    I think that aesthetic *can* be doable, as long as they look like they might be similar ages; I just use the "Ryan Reynolds rule," since he's played opposite to co-stars that are 20 years younger and nobody really bats an eye.

Gunn has a good critical track record at least, and I think a Superman movie that reviews well can at least match what The Batman or maybe even Wonder Woman made if Gunn doesn’t go with the same two goddamn villains. Eventually yes, Zaslav wants his billion+ JL movie, but if he’s willing to reboot then I think he’s willing to let Gunn start building up to it first.
    Very true, and I agree. I just know that WB has a track record of being impatient, and Zaslav being very keen on costs/savings/etc, it might become a red flag. Or not - and hopefully not. These decisions sometimes make no sense, but I'm hoping that Gunn is given space to grow this properly.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Spectacular Member

If Lex Luthor or Zod is the villain of James Gunn’s Superman movie

Not even citizen Kane level writing is going to save it from the hatred that the audience and critics are gonna shower on it

Zod and Luthor are basically DOA in terms of ever getting a major role in a Superman adaptation in live action
    Last edited by Dagothoth; 12-20-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Given that the next Superman film will make or break the franchise I'm thinking it may be best right now for WB not to move forward with the film. There is animosity towards the Snyder films by one side and that unfortunately focuses mostly on Superman - not Batman or Wonder Woman. DC Studios needs several successful and critically well received films to build goodwill and get the GA to give another Superman film a try. At this point the GA simply does not care and without a "goodwill boost" a Superman film has a good chance of underperforming.

The other factor is some Snyder and Cavill fans. Some recent podcasts are crazy. The anger and disdain for all things DC and Gunn in particular. Syl Abdul went over the twitter war between Gunn and fans and tried to tell his listeners to be respectful and not personally attack Gunn as some are doing. Abdul got blowback for trying to calm the waters. Many are threatening not to see the 4 DC films coming out in 2023 or to see a Superman film by Gunn. Even if this is a small segment of fans a Superman film can't afford the negative publicity which the more "fundamentalist" Snyder fans will possibly mount against the film. The new actor, mark my words, will be trashed by the fundamentalist camp.

It' a perfect storm that could wreck the chances for the film to do well and that is too much of a risk to take. IMO.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 12-20-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Spectacular Member

Use the culture war as a weapon

Make that Calvin Ellis Superman film

Snyder fanboys threw temper tantrums when Pattinson replaced Affleck and it didn’t mean anything. General audience wrote off Cavill a while ago and Gunn’s movie won’t be ready for release until 2025. That’s plenty of waiting time, the general public just wants a good Superman movie. Hell we already how Hoechlin as another live action Superman, it’s not like we’re going straight from Cavill to whoever is next anyway.

GotG Vol. 3 is the most anticipated film for next year. Gunn is hot right now, people are definitely going to be interested and excited in a Gunn Superman film once the trailer hits.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Same. I can understand some visual symmetry, but beyond that I've never understood the age fascination. Even as a kid, I didn't care.

I think that aesthetic *can* be doable, as long as they look like they might be similar ages; I just use the "Ryan Reynolds rule," since he's played opposite to co-stars that are 20 years younger and nobody really bats an eye.

Very true, and I agree. I just know that WB has a track record of being impatient, and Zaslav being very keen on costs/savings/etc, it might become a red flag. Or not - and hopefully not. These decisions sometimes make no sense, but I'm hoping that Gunn is given space to grow this properly.
    To me the dynamic between Clark, Lois and Lex works best when they are close in age. Maybe Lex is attracted to Lois (or go woke and Lex and Lois are both attracted to Clark) That kind of dynamic adds a nice element to the mix as the relationship of the three to each other is important in the lore.

BANNED

I think that at this moment it is undeniable that Snyder is the worst thing that has happened to DC in its history (outside of the comic), when he was in charge, his decisions and his lack of talent (for the Superheroes cinema) destroyed DC, now they are his fans.

BANNED

about the possible villain of the supposed future Superman movie (until I see it in theaters, I don't believe it), Lex has to be there, but as the villain in the shadows, the Lex who fights one on one with Superman alone damage the character. I think the perfect villain for a young Superman is Metallo, he is a credible threat against a young Superman (against a fully powered Superman he needs a lot of script help).

Hope he’s not taking too much from the DCAU

Lex should be the same age as Clark but he also needs to be benched for now. Again, we need other Superman villains to shine.

Spectacular Member

The Cadmus arc is just about the best story he can carry, and the justice league infinity crisis arc from the recent comics, and the concept of a justice league unlimited

Supposedly the WBD board is concerned about a backlash happening with the new Superman actor. Then today Fisher calls out Gunn on workplace treatment issues. And Gunn deletes a tweet related to that situation. Gunn doing Superman, a new actor - it's going to be very hard to find a talented young actor willing to take on the role. The odds are increasing that WBD passes on Superman. That doesn't even take into account that they can only put a limited amount of money into making the film given their financial situation. Especially as they are likely to be taken over in 2024 by Comcast. Though nothing can move formally until spring of 2024 it's likely under the table discussions are already taking place. It may have prompted Zaslav's firing of most of the high-priced JL actors. Zaslav seems to be positioning WBD for a takeover.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 12-20-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Gulp. This is real conflict territory.