Page 150 of 167 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 2502

I like her description of Lois, I really do think she is going to kill it in the role. Of all the cast Lois is probably the closest to a traditional Gunn protagonist. She’s snarky, she’s outwardly cynical but has an idealist streak, and she’s frequently up against oppressive authority figures.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Don't take anything he says seriously, he forwards the most random crap and baseless accusations ever.

He'll use any source out there regardless of its veracity to justify his belief that Legacy will be a disaster
    Ah, I see. I know the idea of Zaslav wanting to sell off WB has been around for a while and was reported on by some reputable news outlets, but the rest seemed dubious.

Like, I'm not a huge fan of Gunn and I've seen a lot of obsessive fan worship of him (not so much on these boards, but on social media, reddit, etc) that does feel a bit Snyderbot 2.0, so I'm not as enthusiastic as everybody else. That said, I love Superman and I love DC so I would never be hoping for Legacy to fail. I find the celebrity worship tiresome and childish, but my love of these characters overrides my annoyance with Gunn any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Zaslav is a snake oil salesman and scumbag but his evil business schemes and tax frauds are unrelated to the content of Superman Legacy.

Making expensive deals with A-List actors and directors to use as "a shiny object" for a potential sale or merger of the company isn't comparable to D-list characters nobody has ever heard of being in Legacy. In April 2024, no higher-ups at Universal will think "we have to buy WBD for billions because Metamorpho and Guy Gardner are in a movie barely filmed and they'll make us rich!!!"
    Fair enough but it begs the question why did Gunn include all the non-Superman family characters in SL? The answer is obvious but for some and to paraphrase Lex's comment about Otis and Miss T - they have eyes, but they don't see.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-25-2024 at 04:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Fair enough but it begs the question why did Gunn include all the non-Superman family characters in SL? The answer is obvious but for some and to paraphrase Lex's comment about Otis and Miss T - they have eyes, but they don't see.
    Well, possibly because he likes them and felt he could use them in the story? Because he's setting up a shared universe and wants to create a world where superheroes are the norm? Because they might be used as a contrast to Superman and his idealistic viewpoint?

There's a million reasons why. It's hard to say without knowing the whole story or the extent of their roles. Some of these might be extended cameos.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Ah, I see. I know the idea of Zaslav wanting to sell off WB has been around for a while and was reported on by some reputable news outlets, but the rest seemed dubious.

Like, I'm not a huge fan of Gunn and I've seen a lot of obsessive fan worship of him (not so much on these boards, but on social media, reddit, etc) that does feel a bit Snyderbot 2.0, so I'm not as enthusiastic as everybody else. That said, I love Superman and I love DC so I would never be hoping for Legacy to fail. I find the celebrity worship tiresome and childish, but my love of these characters overrides my annoyance with Gunn any day.
    The thing is Gunn actually has a history of proven success. Synder despite all the films he makes and how fanatatically outspoken his fandom is, few of them are actually profitable. His most successful film is 300 and since then his works tend to underperform more often than not.

So while I'm not the biggest fan of Gunn myself either, I won't deny that he has a stronger resume than Snyder ever did.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jeffery, you were doomposting about this movie before we knew a single thing about it. Even before it was publicly announced you were telling everyone how they were going to cancel Cavill MoS2 and bring back Batffleck for a movie. Then it was all about how Batman: TBATB was going to be the true priority, how Gunn wasn’t going to cast a “regular leading man” for Superman, etc, etc. Everything Superman is doomed to fail and you immediately latch onto anything you can use to badmouth Legacy. Superman can’t succeed in theaters but somehow Supergirl, fresh off the failure of the Flash, is going to hit Wonder Woman numbers. All you ever do is doompost about Superman, you’re extremely annoying. Others have shared they think it’s going to fail and that Gunn’s a bad fit but they don’t freaking obsessively post about it like you do. Why are you even here? Go post in the DCU thread on the DC Comics Forum, that’s the general thread for you to whine about Gunn.

It’s transparently obvious Jeffery is hedging his bets so if he’s wrong (again) he’ll just go “well now that Legacy is a success they’re going to abandon Superman, and Metamorpho is going to be the new heart of the DCU!!! It’s over Superbros, Superman is finished!!!!!!”
    Well said.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    The thing is Gunn actually has a history of proven success. Synder despite all the films he makes and how fanatatically outspoken his fandom is, few of them are actually profitable. His most successful film is 300 and since then his works tend to underperform more often than not.

So while I'm not the biggest fan of Gunn myself either, I won't deny that he has a stronger resume than Snyder ever did.
    Well, he's had success with GOTG, but not much else. I know people love TSS, but it wasn't successful (admittedly, there were external things going on that contributed to that). But even my personal favorite Gunn movie, Slither, bombed.

Anyway, I'm mostly talking about quality. It might have mass appeal, but I can't imagine loving this guy's vision for the DCU. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I wonder if them potentially using the Kingdom Come Superman symbol has something to do with the character becoming public domain in the near future.

It’s just different enough that they can start to differentiate their Supes with inevitable doppelgängers.

I’m curious to see if they use a similar symbol in the “Ultimate DC” line.

They already have a Kingdom Come-like ‘S’ in MAWS.

Are you sure we are keeping the red underpants?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Well, I have addressed that at the beginning of the thread long before any cast or character announcement for the film (quotes below). Other posters didn't liked my suggestions either but Legacy is the entry movie of an tight shared universe where superheroes are already established from years, and that has to be acknowledged in-story.

It's worldbuilding 101: you can't introduce a Superman that is supposed to exists in an already lived universe only to show him going solo like he's the only superhero around or a Batman with a full batfam can't start with a solo adventure like he is the only hero in Gotham with the other characters only exiting off-screen.

Every professional filmmaker on Earth would've done the same Gunn is doing.

I expects Gunn's Superman movie being cameos-filled with other JL characters to establish the new universe asap.
    Lighthearted BvS: DoJ with everyone cameo-ing in it.
    After The Avengers (2012) and 2 different cut of the same JL's origin movie, there is no novelty for the audience in seeing a bunch of characters teaming up and know each others for the first time after being introduced one by one over the course of 4/5 years. They don't need to have the whole team appear in the Superman movie but acknowledge the core members are already a team before doing a JL movie. Similar to what the animation is doing.
    I wasn't saying DC should jump in Phase-9 already. But Phase 2? having the main characters and team already established like the animation is doing.

Going back to phase 1 with a shared universe to build in 5 years is too much of a regression.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-26-2024 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I wonder if them potentially using the Kingdom Come Superman symbol has something to do with the character becoming public domain in the near future.

It’s just different enough that they can start to differentiate their Supes with inevitable doppelgängers.

It's possible but then I'd expect them to move away from the trunks as well. MOS broke with the classic suit and, aside from being too dark, the suit worked.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-26-2024 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

That S actually reminds me more of the s-shield that Morrison and Quietly almost went with for All-Star Superman more than it reminds me of the Kingdom Come S.

And public domain wouldn’t be a concern, the “classic” s-shield would still be a good couple decades away from going PD. Plus the s-shield is trademarked - it’s never going PD. You guys need to look into how public domain works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Are you sure we are keeping the red underpants?
    No one is sure lol. We haven’t seen it yet. Someone who might have seen concept art did say that what he saw had the red trunks.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Well, I have addressed that at the beginning of the thread long before any cast or character announcement for the film (quotes below). Other posters didn't liked my suggestions either but Legacy is the entry movie of an tight shared universe where superheroes are already established from years, and that has to be acknowledged in-story.

It's worldbuilding 101: you can't introduce a Superman that is supposed to exists in an already lived universe only to show him going solo like he's the only superhero around or a Batman with a full batfam can't start with a solo adventure like he is the only hero in Gotham with the other characters only exiting off-screen.

Every professional filmmaker on Earth would've done the same Gunn is doing.
    No date stamps on your comments but I'll take you at your word - you more or less nailed it. Only miss was assuming they would be cameos which Gunn has clarified they won't (just) be. My guess is each of the heroes will likely get more screentime than Gal's Wonder Woman got in BvS.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-26-2024 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That S actually reminds me more of the s-shield that Morrison and Quietly almost went with for All-Star Superman more than it reminds me of the Kingdom Come S.

And public domain wouldn’t be a concern, the “classic” s-shield would still be a good couple decades away from going PD. Plus the s-shield is trademarked - it’s never going PD. You guys need to look into how public domain works.
    I have to say I really like this concept of the symbol. More elegant and simple. I would like it would become the official.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

will the music feature a "pop" soundtrack as well as an orchestral score?