Page 151 of 167 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2502
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

A James Gunn's 10-month old post has resurfaced online:

Source: https://bsky.app/profile/jamesgunn.b.../3ju2ualgyic23

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    No date stamps on your comments but I'll take you at your word - you more or less nailed it. Only miss was assuming they would be cameos which Gunn has clarified they won't (just) be. My guess is each of the heroes will likely get more screentime than Gal's Wonder Woman got in BvS.
    Date stamps? You can click on the view post button after "Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton" in the quotes to read the original discussion (it's from early January 2023).

Cameos/extended cameos/supporting roles is kind of the same.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-27-2024 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    will the music feature a "pop" soundtrack as well as an orchestral score?
    Tbh I hope so. I donÂ’t mind really. Do any of you guys?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Well, possibly because he likes them and felt he could use them in the story? Because he's setting up a shared universe and wants to create a world where superheroes are the norm? Because they might be used as a contrast to Superman and his idealistic viewpoint?

There's a million reasons why. It's hard to say without knowing the whole story or the extent of their roles. Some of these might be extended cameos.
    Likes them? There is like one in a billion chance that Gunn even knew who Gardner or Metamorpho was before taking the job at DC.

I feel like Gunn doesn't have any faith in Superman or in his ability to writing Superman, there is a reason why he had earlier rejected an offer by DC to make a Superman movie. But after becoming the head at DC, I guess he felt he had a duty to take their flop character and try to revamp it.

I remember Bruce Timm and Paul Dini also tried to focus on too many teamups in Superman: The Animated Series because both of them went on record to say they found Superman and his villains boring.

This is the same situation all over again. DC keep finding people who have virtually no interest in Superman and burdening them with a Superman project. Bruce Timm, Tim Burton, Chris Nolan, Zack Snyder and now James Gunn.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Likes them? There is like one in a billion chance that Gunn even knew who Gardner or Metamorpho was before taking the job at DC.

I feel like Gunn doesn't have any faith in Superman or in his ability to writing Superman, there is a reason why he had earlier rejected an offer by DC to make a Superman movie. But after becoming the head at DC, I guess he felt he had a duty to take their flop character and try to revamp it.

I remember Bruce Timm and Paul Dini also tried to focus on too many teamups in Superman: The Animated Series because both of them went on record to say they found Superman and his villains boring.

This is the same situation all over again. DC keep finding people who have virtually no interest in Superman and burdening them with a Superman project. Bruce Timm, Tim Burton, Chris Nolan, Zack Snyder and now James Gunn.
    Gunn was writing Legacy before becoming DC head, he started around July/August 2022. He explained that his early refusal was because he didn't liked enough the ideas he had for a Superman film (a Superman and Krypto movie was one of his ideas) and took him awhile to find the right pitch, he asked opinions to others before being sure to submit it to WB.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-27-2024 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Tbh I hope so. I donÂ’t mind really. Do any of you guys?
    I’m looking forward to a Superman who listens to contemporary music, better that than having him be a relic from the 1950s who plays music on his phonograph the way some like to characterize him.
    What universe do you live in where Guy Gardner is this ultra obscure character instead of someone who was a huge star in Giffen/Maguire JLI, and had shown up in animated shows like Batman: TBATB and GLTAS? And who exactly do you think was pushing for him to use those characters? Jim Lee? Peter Safran? David Zaslav? Or maybe the simplest explanation is the best one: Gunn is a huge fan of 80s/90s comics and Gardner was prominent around that time, so he used him.

Or do you think he picked Creature Commandoes to make an animated series of to impress people with his deep cuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Gunn was writing Legacy before becoming DC head, he was hired to write it around July/August 2022. He explained that his early refusal was because he didn't liked enough the ideas he had for a Superman film (a Superman and Krypto movie was one of his ideas) and took him awhile to find the right pitch, he asked options to others before being sure to submit it to WB.

He probably did take the job in part because of the Suicide Squad flopping, but he would not be sticking with it if he didn’t feel passionate about it. He’s the head, he could easily just hand his script over to someone else to direct, or let someone else reboot Superman from scratch.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

A James Gunn's 10-month old post has resurfaced online:

Source: https://bsky.app/profile/jamesgunn.b.../3ju2ualgyic23
    Cool, I hope we do get the Kingdom Come s-shield. It’s something new and that’s what I want to see. There’s plenty of other stuff in here that calls back to old films like Otis and Tessmacher, let’s go a different route with the suit.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

Gunn was writing Legacy before becoming DC head, he started around July/August 2022. He explained that his early refusal was because he didn't liked enough the ideas he had for a Superman film (a Superman and Krypto movie was one of his ideas) and took him awhile to find the right pitch, he asked opinions to others before being sure to submit it to WB.
    Maybe it was sort of a package deal and him taking the Superman project is what even got him a chance to be in charge of DC later on. Like him taking the job was basically applying for the opportunity as DC head.

By all accounts it looks like Gunn had no interest in Superman, but I am sure getting a lucrative position would have nudged him.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    What universe do you live in where Guy Gardner is this ultra obscure character instead of someone who was a huge star in Giffen/Maguire JLI, and had shown up in animated shows like Batman: TBATB and GLTAS? And who exactly do you think was pushing for him to use those characters? Jim Lee? Peter Safran? David Zaslav? Or maybe the simplest explanation is the best one: Gunn is a huge fan of 80s/90s comics and Gardner was prominent around that time, so he used him.

Or do you think he picked Creature Commandoes to make an animated series of to impress people with his deep cuts?
    How many people do you think have read JLI? Guy Gardner is really obscure with the general public.

You realize even Hal Jordan was obscure 12 years ago, so much so that people were angry that DC race swapped Green Lantern. John Stewart is the only Green Lantern people know, and even he was not known by name, just as Green Lantern. I like how you mention GLTAS like it was some big hit when it got cancelled after 1 season. Even TBATB got a lot of criticism for being silly when it was airing.

No one pushed for Guy Gardner to be included. Gunn needed some obscure characters he could use in the movie instead of creating OCs so some researcher in his team found characters like Guy Gardner, Hawkgirl, Mr Terrific and Metamorpho.

Gunn did the same thing with GotG, took some obscure characters and then completely changed them and no one was upset because those characters being obscure mean they can be re-imagined in any way.

This is the reason he picked Creature Commandos. A really obscure team which even hardcore comic fans don't know about, now he can basically make his original film but with the backing of DC.

It's hilarious that comic book fans really buy into this "he is just like me" routine Hollywood puts out. Do you think a top filmmaker like Gunn is really spending his time reading comic books? Maybe he read a few of them as a child but his interest in comic books is largely because it makes him lots of money when he makes movies on them.
    Last edited by Laser_Man; 02-27-2024 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Cool, I hope we do get the Kingdom Come s-shield. It’s something new and that’s what I want to see. There’s plenty of other stuff in here that calls back to old films like Otis and Tessmacher, let’s go a different route with the suit.
    Have Alex Ross or Mark Waid commented something about this development?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

How many people do you think have read JLI? Guy Gardner is really obscure with the general public.

You realize even Hal Jordan was obscure 12 years ago, so much so that people were angry that DC race swapped Green Lantern. John Stewart is the only Green Lantern people know, and even he was not known by name, just as Green Lantern. I like how you mention GLTAS like it was some big hit when it got cancelled after 1 season. Even TBATB got a lot of criticism for being silly when it was airing.
    I have no clue what argument you’re trying to make with regards to TBATB. Everything gets criticized, the DCAU got criticized. It ran for multiple seasons and served as a gateway to the DCU for many people. Gardner was also in Young Justice. People know who he is.
    No one pushed for Guy Gardner to be included. Gunn needed some obscure characters he could use in the movie instead of creating OCs so some researcher in his team found characters like Guy Gardner, Hawkgirl, Mr Terrific and Metamorpho.
    [citation needed]. Or… he read JLI like he read Ostrander Suicide Squad and liked it.
    It's hilarious that comic book fans really buy into this "he is just like me" routine Hollywood puts out. Do you think a top filmmaker like Gunn is really spending his time reading comic books? Maybe he read a few of them as a child but his interest in comic books is largely because it makes him lots of money when he makes movies on them.
    Oh ok he actually hates comic books and is merely faking his fandom. That’s why he’s opening his DCU with a freaking Creature Commandoes animated show instead of pumping out Batman content, it’s all a long con that only you are smart enough to see through. He put freaking Tom King on his creative council. King has never put out a finished TV or movie project, he’s there because Gunn is a fan of his comics work. He’s on social media shilling freaking King/Gerads/Shaner Strange Adventures. He put John Ostrander in his goddamn SS movie. He’s got Superman comic art decorating his studio during preproduction of Legacy. He put together lists of comics he’s using for inspiration. What exactly does he have to do to prove he reads comics? Because he posted a freaking picture of him with Absolute Superman For All Seasons. He’s apparently using the s-shield from Kingdom Come.

If you think all that is a front well, I don’t think you’re arguing in good faith and I don’t think Gunn could do anything to convince you otherwise. Reeves took a lot of creative liberties with his Batman films but I haven’t seen anyone call him a fraud faking his fandom for clout. Majority of the MCU directors do not care about the comics and are open that it’s just a job for them. Gunn likes comics and he likes changing characters up to suit his tastes, the two are not opposed to each other. Every director puts their own spin on the material, Raimi did it with Spider-Man and that’s a much bigger IP than Guardians. No director ever recreates the material exactly, not even Zack Snyder did with Watchmen despite him being an avowed fanboy of Watchmen.

Even the comic book writers do this as I’ve said before. Byrne did it to Superman, Waid did it to Flash, Johns did it to GL/Aquaman/Flash, Moore did it to Miracleman, Swamp Thing, and Joker. Miller did it to Daredevil and Batman, Brubaker and Gruenwald did it to Captain America. Take an old property that’s long in the tooth and revamp it to try and make it sell better is a time honored tradition in comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Have Alex Ross or Mark Waid commented something about this development?
    Waid said he’s excited for what Gunn is doing, but nothing more.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-27-2024 at 02:33 PM.

Whatever Gunn's attitude towards Superman is, his vision of an established DCU precludes a Superman centric film. Yes, Superman is the first film, but it is as much a DCU showcase film as a Superman film. Superman is a plot point of sorts to introduce the other JSA characters. They aren't just cameos as Gunn has confirmed. Indeed, each is likely to have more screentime than Wonder Woman had in BvS. They will need to have their own introductions and story arcs within SL. How much time will be devoted to them apart from Superman is anyone's guess. Lois as co-protagonist is not the lore. Lois is a strong woman, but the core of a proper Superman film has to be Kal.

WB has repeatedly short-changed Superman. Gunn won't be the first. MOS, which the court ordered to be in production by 2011 or the rights might revert to the family, was a "forced" film to meet the court order. Cavil quickly got the part as he'd auditioned for SR and a long casting search was avoided. Snyder's affection was for Batman as was obvious in BvS. He said in an interview that they needed to find a way to get rid of Superman so Batman could found the JL. Fans who've been waiting for a "true" Superman film for 11 years now will wait indefinitely as it won't happen with Gunn. The only way to get a Superman centric film and a sequel and maybe a trilogy is if another company takes over. Fingers crossed that happens.

I write Superman fanfic and if I were asked to write a script it'd be overstuffed (I plead guilty) with Superman family characters and would be "too" long as in 3 hours because there is so much to tell and so much one can do with the Superman family. From Emil Hamilton to Bibbo to Metallo or Brainiac but also throw in Toyman or the Prankster. Cadmus, Intergang. Kelex and Fortress "gadgets" would be there (making for lucrative toy sales). One gadget would be super earplugs that Supes deploys when attacked by ultra-high frequency sound waves. Or a scrambler that negates those waves - Gerard Christopher's Superboy used such a device when Luthor attacked him with a "wall" of sound. There is so much that could be done in a Superman film and that Gunn at one time turned down Superman as he didn't know a way into the character makes me doubt that he really is a Superman fan. It's frustrating and Gunn is just the latest in the line of WB execs to fumble/use Superman as a means for something else.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-27-2024 at 07:19 PM.

BANNED

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Gunn is some big fan of Superman, but I wouldn't be surprised if he liked or saw something of merit in some random oddball characters he liked when he was a kid. I've never really bought the whole "Gunn is a huuuge comic fan" image he tries to cultivate, but I don't doubt that he's read comics and has an interest in some of these characters.

I also don't think you have to be a huge fan of a character to do a good story with them. The guy that did some of the BEST Star Trek movies wasn't a fan. On the other hand, you can have an actual comic writer like David Goyer work on comic movies and with maybe the exception of the first Blade, his output has been pretty underwhelming.

I don't have a ton of trust in Gunn and I'm dreading his corny "needle drops" in a Superman movie (which are usually just old top 40 songs that have aged enough to seem novel), but I don't think it's necessarily going to be a disaster either.

I do think it's funny how much people complained about Snyder rushing the world-building with all the cameos and guest appearances, but defend Gunn when he does the same thing. But whatever. I doubt it's going to be the Superman movie I would choose, but hopefully it'll be good. I'm at least interested in seeing Guy Gardner in live action.

Second time he’s posted this image from Up in the Sky! which probably means we’ll get a scene evocative of this in Legacy. There was also that moon kiss between Superman and Lois in All-Star Superman.

Interesting turn of events. Dan Lin who came very close to being named head of DC Studios just became head of Netflix's film division. The deal with WBD broke down as Lin didn't want to step away from his production company which he now appears to have done with the Netflix deal. Dan Lin is a passionate fan of DC. Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman but especially Batman. As head of DCU Studios his vision for the DCU would assuredly have been different than Gunn's and in particular Lin would not have made secondary characters the focus of the DCU. As to Superman it's pretty much a given Lin would have done a Superman film and not a Superman/DCU Showcase film.

Dan Lin to head Netflix Studios
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-28-2024 at 12:48 PM.

Nicholas Hoult will be doing an Inside of You interview with Michael Rosenbaum. The interview is coming up "soon". Hoult was my preference for Superman but he will nail it as Lex and hopefully will be one of the big bads spanning the DCU so he'll likely pop up in lots of DCU film/TV projects.

Michael Rosenbaum to interview Nicholas Hoult

nh1.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-28-2024 at 04:00 PM.