Page 11 of 167 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    As folks have noted a non-alien villain(s) means less need for a huge budget to get the type of scenes that MOS had. It's more than that too. This will be an early career film and logically Superman would confront Earth villains first with his presence just emerging and presumably not known to extraterrestrials. It allows for a more intimate film insofar as having Superman interact only with humans. There are lots of special moments that can be captured in that and hopefully Gunn will do so.

Metallo is the obvious choice for a villain - with Lex fronting him against Superman. Maybe another villain - a Toyman like villain. A gadget man of sorts who creates weapons to "test" Superman adding an element of fun could be added to the film There can be a ton of FX which don't cost the arm and a leg a Brainiac or whomever would.
    Gunn has been posting a lot about Lobo. I’ve been saying we can expect a cross between Landis’ American Alien and the T-shirt and Jeans look from Morrison’s New 52 run on Action Comics. Perfect of a year two Superman set up. Akin to how the MCU played Spider-Man in Homecoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Gunn has been posting a lot about Lobo. I’ve been saying we can expect a cross between Landis’ American Alien and the T-shirt and Jeans look from Morrison’s New 52 run on Action Comics. Perfect of a year two Superman set up. Akin to how the MCU played Spider-Man in Homecoming.
    Lobo would work as he is quite low tech and does not demand the FX of a Brainiac. As to the suit I fully expect it to be "traditional" as in akin to the MOS suit. It'd be too much of a risk to stray too far afield. Heck, maybe there will be a return of the red trunks!

Lobo would work as he is quite low tech and does not demand the FX of a Brainiac. As to the suit I fully expect it to be "traditional" as in akin to the MOS suit. It'd be too much of a risk to stray too far afield. Heck, maybe there will be a return of the red trunks!
    Oh you're asking for trouble there!

I'm sure Gunn would have fun writing Lobo. I know the word is he wants Mamoa to play the role. But I think he'll go with Dave Bautista from GOTG. Bautista has been saying for years he wants to play Bane and he was almost in Gunn's Suicide Squad movie. I expect to see Lobo's Spacehog tearing ass across Metropolis. Dragging Superman wrapped in chains behind it.

Astonishing Member

I'll never understand why people come to read about Superman and then try to crank down the imagination as far as possible. You might as well go watch Punisher, Spiderman, or other "grounded" heroes.

If it was up to me this would be a start with a Superboy story, Krypto, Legion of Superheroes, The Kents dealing with a superpowered teen/pre-teen, and a touch of Silver Age oddness. Do things you can only do with Superman, not some reheated stuff you can find over in Spiderman's side of the dance floor.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

As I read about Gunn it sounds like he has been writing his Superman script for a while. Before, I presume, BA came out. One wonders if DeLuca and co. were aware of this. The social media chatter was all about BA and the Rock and Cavill coming back and the Snyderverse being restored. How much of that was plain hype. After BA bombed it became obvious that WBD could not continue to build on the Snyderverse and the turn-around has been relatively quick. Was Zaslov holding his cards close to his vest all this time?

How this impacts WBD's 4 DC films next year will be telling. The universe is being reboot so those films are somewhat "irrelevant" now. Aquaman 2 supposedly is not that great which is why Affleck was brought in but as he is no longer Batman in the DCEU will Aquaman 2 get the boost WBD was hoping for?

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I do think they handled everything poorly though. Why blue balled everyone with Cavill's return only to do this?
    Because only the Rock wanted Cavill back. WB has been ready to move on from Snyder for years.

As I read about Gunn it sounds like he has been writing his Superman script for a while. Before, I presume, BA came out. One wonders if DeLuca and co. were aware of this. The social media chatter was all about BA and the Rock and Cavill coming back and the Snyderverse being restored. How much of that was plain hype. After BA bombed it became obvious that WBD could not continue to build on the Snyderverse and the turn-around has been relatively quick. Was Zaslov holding his cards close to his vest all this time?

How this impacts WBD's 4 DC films next year will be telling. The universe is being reboot so those films are somewhat "irrelevant" now. Aquaman 2 supposedly is not that great which is why Affleck was brought in but as he is no longer Batman in the DCEU will Aquaman 2 get the boost WBD was hoping for?
    The plan was for Black Adam to be the start of the next phase of the DCEU. Where Black Adam becomes the big bad to beat for the JL. Ignoring what Snyder had set up with Darkseid and his invasion. As well as ignoring their own plans for the New Gods. Remember, Tom King was writing a script with Ava Duvernay for years. The Snydercut was released and a week later New Gods was cancelled.

Black Adam already ran through the JSA in his titular film. Dr. Fate sacrificing himself in the end. The next step was for a Superman vs Black Adam film.

WB really didn't want to finish anything Snyder started. They just kept playing in the cinematic universe (Suicide Squad 2, Birds of Prey, Shazam, WW84) looking for the next big hit to capitalize on.

WB is in A LOT of debt. Tens of billions of dollars. They are looking for a fast turn around for their finances. They are rebooting because they believe their 10 year plan for DC will get them there.

I can't blame them. Theatrical JL, WW84, Birds of Prey, Gunn's Suicide Squad, and now Black Adam have all flopped financially. The completed Batgirl film to replace Affleck was canned before release. They are still spending millions to complete the Flash. This after all of Miller's antics. WB believes the Flash is worth it though. Remember, Flash, Aquaman 2 and Black Adam were all supposed to be released this year. WB was so strapped for cash, Black Adam was the only movie they could afford to release for the rest of this year. For the entire studio of WB. Talk about YIKES!

I suspect Cavil being let go is apart of WB just not having the funds to pay for him anymore. Along with Gunn and Zaslav wanting a clean slate for their 10 year plan. Gunn is trying to work the DCEU actors into other DC projects going forward. He wants Mamoa as Lobo, Affleck to direct a movie and some unknown roles for Cavil and Gadot. Don't expect to see Ezra Miller or Ray Fisher in anything however. Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn and John Cena's Peacemaker will likely continue on. As Gunn has a personal invest in those characters.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 12-16-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What about her being petty and superficial sometimes?i am not saying these guys aren't old.But,their maturity is hugely exaggerated.That's why the cheif(george taylor or perry white) exists.He is the den mother.Even clark can be very wrapped in his own world and can be really secretive with his hard shell.

Also not saying they shouldn't grow out of these things.But,since this early years young superman.Then these guys being more "firey" and not at ease with themselves would be much more effective.(although i do find the idea that older people should be absolutely self assured and happy with themselves to be bullocks)
    I don't think she's been consistently superficial in a long while. If she's petty towards anyone, it's because they probably deserved it and not out of sheer immaturity, but that's just my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    WB is in A LOT of debt. Tens of billions of dollars. They are looking for a fast turn around for their finances. They are rebooting because they believe their 10 year plan for DC will get them there.

I can't blame them. Theatrical JL, WW84, Birds of Prey, Gunn's Suicide Squad, and now Black Adam have all flopped financially. The completed Batgirl film to replace Affleck was canned before release. They are still spending millions to complete the Flash. This after all of Miller's antics. WB believes the Flash is worth it though. Remember, Flash, Aquaman 2 and Black Adam were all supposed to be released this year. WB was so strapped for cash, Black Adam was the only movie they could afford to release this year. For the entire studio of WB. Talk about YIKES!

I suspect Cavil being let go is apart of WB just not having the funds to pay for him anymore. Along with Gunn and Zaslav wanting a clean slate for their 10 year plan. Gunn is trying to work the DCEU actors into other DC projects going forward. He wants Mamoa as Lobo, Affleck to direct a movie and some unknown roles for Cavil and Gadot. Don't expect to see Ezra Miller or Ray Fisher in anything however. Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn and John Cena's Peacemaker will likely continue on. As Gunn has a personal invest in those characters.
    I don't blame WBD either. I always wanted a reboot post BvsS. When MOS underperformed, they immediately brought Affleck/Batman into "MOS2". That showed doubts that Cavill could carry a film. Cavill's lack of lines in MOS was odd and again showed a lack of confidence in Cavill. Then BvsS underperforms. Batman and Superman not bringing in way north of a billion was a shocker. WB should have halted things at that point. JL1 was a month away from going into production but the studio blinked and continued Snyder's flawed vision.

I don't think Cavill's price was the reason he was dropped. If it was then it makes no sense promising him another role in the DCEU. The only downside is losing Gadot. The best of the bunch. Recasting WW will be tough given how beloved Gal is in the role and the new actress will have that hanging over her. The Cavill replacement will have it easier as Cavill has been received with mixed reactions as Superman.

BTW, the fact Gunn was writing a young Superman film tells me the new WBD regime didn't really have plans to bring Cavill back. The new actor would have to be 25ish and Cavill did not fit that parameter.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I wonder though what would have happened had Black Adam done better? Would Zazlav have told Gunn to keep Cavill? Or would they have just kept Henry as the separate Superman of a separate Black Adam/Shazam sub-universe similar to what appears to be going on with Reeves Batman?

In any case if indeed Zazlav and the other execs knew Henry wasn't really returning and Still let him make that announcement anyway...then it's par for the course for how WB have treated Henry these last few years and the Superman character the last couple decades. A lack of utter respect. That doesn't bode well even with all the talk about Superman being a priority. Until we see results , I'm going to continue to be very suspicious of WBs handling of the character.

Well at least Henry has landed on his feet with the Warhammer series. Good luck to him. I'm sure it still hurts though that he won't be likely wearing the cape again.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-16-2022 at 03:59 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Article goes into the details about why Cavill got passed over

They were going to use Brainiac for MoS2, **** that does make me a little sad to have missed out on that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Missing out on Brainiac AGAIN does certainly suck. Doesn't change my view but it's almost a curse at this point for the villain.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

How many times have we lost out on Brainiac in a movie?

A guy who claims to be a Hollywood actor is saying that WBD is already sending out a casting call for Superman:

WBD is wasting no time. A casting call has gone out for a “secret project” calling for a Caucasian male between the ages of 24 - 27 or able to convincingly play the age. Must be over 6’ but under 6’4, blue eyes, dark hair or willing to dye it dark, a strong jaw, and willing to undergo a brutal workout regiment. WBD has sent out lines for reading for prospective actors to send in self tapes and they will bring in the actors they like for in person auditions beginning in January.

Now I wonder what character that could be a casting call for…
    Could be bullshitting but if not, I think we’ll find out who the new Superman is very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I’m pretty sure every single cancelled Superman movie has wanted to use him. Donner wanted him for Superman III, the Cage Superman film was supposed to use him, the Superman Returns sequel would have used him, and now this.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It goes back a ways. Cary Bates wrote a Superman film featuring Brainiac as the villain and including Kandor in the plot. It was to star Gerard Christopher and film after the Superboy TV series ended its run in the early 90s.