Page 44 of 167 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

No one else bothered that Gunn says his Superman is "a big galoot?" Gunn will make Superman's earnestness and nobility a punchline. He doesn't like or take superheroes seriously. Snyder doesn't understand them at all and has to deconstruct them, Gunn doesn't like them at all and has to mock them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Lois isn't really in Kingdom Come but her effect on the story is kind of major considering how her death sets up Superman for most of the book
    No, I agree. It's just her actual presence isn't necessary to this particular story at all. In fact, it would've really only gotten in the way (and I say this as someone who really digs the character, too).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    No one else bothered that Gunn says his Superman is "a big galoot?" Gunn will make Superman's earnestness and nobility a punchline. He doesn't like or take superheroes seriously. Snyder doesn't understand them at all and has to deconstruct them, Gunn doesn't like them at all and has to mock them.
    I don't care for the term, no. Think I said so here, if not it was reddit or something but I think I said it everywhere, lol. But I also said I would try not to read too much into it yet.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-21-2023 at 02:28 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

mocking superheroes isn't a big deal.Entertainment is all that matters.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    No, I agree. It's just her actual presence isn't necessary to this particular story at all. In fact, it would've really only gotten in the way (and I say this as someone who really digs the character, too).
    I guess I hesitate to say her presence isn't necessary when, again, her death and the rest of the Planet's death is a big part of the story and the conception of the major conflict at the start of the book.

Like the reason you're not asking "where's Lois?" is because Lois literally dies in the first few pages .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I hesitate to say her presence isn't necessary when, again, her death and the rest of the Planet's death is a big part of the story and the conception of the major conflict at the start of the book.

Like the reason you're not asking "where's Lois?" is because Lois literally dies in the first few pages .
    It's a flashback, though. Her actual physical presence beyond that is absolutely unnecessary to the point where it would actually make the rest of the story rather nonsensical from Superman's pov. The only important event that involves her is that she dies.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The screenwriter said she’s a version of Mary Jane. If all you’ve seen is the first couple of minutes of Homecoming I’m not surprised you don’t see the connection. She literally tells people to call her MJ. In No Way Home they reveal her last name to be Watson.

I doubt most of the general audience knows the difference and with that call me MJ line at the end of homecoming it doesn’t really matter. She’s a version of Mary Jane. If they were to introduce a “Mary Jane” into Hollands Spider-Man, I think the general audience would get up in arms over it and it would be seen as a recasting. Particularly replacing Zendaya’s MJ with a white red head MJ.
    I have no doubt the general audience won't get mad. They'll go to the movies to see the next Spider-Man film. Because that's how it works. Only fans like us care about that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    They went full retard. Not seriously the last 10 years have been nothing but mismanagement. Giving Snyder the keys to the car is what ruined everything.
    We can't put all the blame on Snyder. Yeah, he didn't really have a solid plan and most of the DCU was missing from his films. But, it was WB who decided they wanted to Avengers money and shoehorned in a cinematic universe.

The impression that I've gotten from all this is that it was Rock's team that brought Cavill back and made promises to him that they weren't able to make. To the extent Cavill relied upon them without actually having a contract in place for any of it seems like its on him and his team too.
    I'll add Dwayne Johnson thought Black Adam was going to light up the box office and people were going to flock to see Henry Cavill as Superman.

Extraordinary Member

What would Superman's family look like in live action - Made using Artbreeder #shorts

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I have no doubt the general audience won't get mad. They'll go to the movies to see the next Spider-Man film. Because that's how it works. Only fans like us care about that stuff.
    I think you got this flipped. Only comic fans care if "MJ" is Michelle Jones vs Mary Jane. GA will see Zendaya being replaced by a white MJ. That is a whole other issue and one that I don't think would go over well at all. You got Zendaya's fans, you got fans invested in Holland/Zendaya's real life relationship, and you got all the people who will see it as racist. Marvel would never go there.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I'll add Dwayne Johnson thought Black Adam was going to light up the box office and people were going to flock to see Henry Cavill as Superman.
    Yeah, he was banking on becoming a tentpole to the DCEU and that flamed out spectacularly. I would not be surprised if he and his team were behind the Man of Steel 2 stories too. They were trying to manifest this Black Adam centric DCEU and it just did not work out.

I think you got this flipped. Only comic fans care if "MJ" is Michelle Jones vs Mary Jane. GA will see Zendaya being replaced by a white MJ. That is a whole other issue and one that I don't think would go over well at all. You got Zendaya's fans, you got fans invested in Holland/Zendaya's real life relationship, and you got all the people who will see it as racist. Marvel would never go there.

Yeah, he was banking on becoming a tentpole to the DCEU and that flamed out spectacularly. I would not be surprised if he and his team were behind the Man of Steel 2 stories too. They were trying to manifest this Black Adam centric DCEU and it just did not work out.
    They're still dating? Well, I take back on my comments. Yeah, I think he got too big for his britches in case with the DCEU. I think had the movie came out pre-Endgame, the BA probably would've done great at the box office. Post-Endgame? This is me, but it seems like superhero movies aren't going to reach those 2008-2019 highs again. I'm just speculating at the current state of the movies.

Imagine Holland and Zendaya broke up and they had to fire Zendaya because the two refused to work together.

No one else bothered that Gunn says his Superman is "a big galoot?"
    No, not especially. I'm more concerned about the other things Gunn has said, like about Clark being such a nice guy in a world that doesn't appreciate nice.

I adore All-Star as much as the next fan, I'm a Morrison acolyte so of course I do, but some of the things Gunn has said make me worry he learned the wrong lessons from the story. And I know Gunn is listening to King, but that doesn't fill me with confidence either as King's Superman is well done, but basic bitch. My only hope is that Gunn is listening to Morrison, and Grant hasn't forgotten the other sides to Clark's character. He's the pacifist nice guy from All-Star, yes, but that's not all he is and he still has an edge and a temper and isn't just flawlessly good and pure and nice.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

How many of you are hoping Brainiac is the bad guy?

Zaslav spent time with Gunn while Gunn was writing Legacy.

And he still let The Rock bring back Cavill for his cameo

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    How many of you are hoping Brainiac is the bad guy?
    At this point I think Lobo will be the villain for Supergirl and Brainiac will be the bad guy for Legacy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/