Page 82 of 167 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 2503

With Gunn’s affection for Donner and the film’s focus on Supes balancing his dual heritage I’m expecting a Jor-El AI in the Fortress, which could serve as a way to deliver backstory I suppose.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Edit : Responding to Prime :
    I think it's because they don't want this Superman to be the First Superhero of his world.

From what I've gathered, he's more like a wholesome guy coming in to show that kindness and compassion and all that aren't empty words or weaknesses in the face of a far more cynical age.

And I think it could work, I think we are moving from the time when we wanted our old tales to be deconstructed because we know they aren't true or telling the whole truth.

We've entered the time when we know those are tales and don't hold all the answers. But we want to hear them nonetheless because they give hope for a better tomorrow.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Edit : Responding to Prime :
    I think it's because they don't want this Superman to be the First Superhero of his world.

From what I've gathered, he's more like a wholesome guy coming in to show that kindness and compassion and all that aren't empty words or weaknesses in the face of a far more cynical age.

And I think it could work, I think we are moving from the time when we wanted our old tales to be deconstructed because we know they aren't true or telling the whole truth.

We've entered the time when we know those are tales and don't hold all the answers. But we want to hear them nonetheless because they give hope for a better tomorrow.
    Yeah exactly this.

I think if it's done well then setting Superman’s origin in a world where The Authority already exist as a stand-in for the MCU/mainstream model of superheroism is kind of a brilliant way to reintroduce Supes in 2023 (well 2025). AC 775 pitches Superman as the wise, moderate elder putting the scary extremist kids in line; technically right but it also could make him look like an out-of-touch *******. Legacy pitching him as the young, idealistic upstart in a world of well-meaning middle aged government stooges, the young "rebel" who'll challenge the "man" and the system; now that is cooking with gas.

A young Superman teaching a jaded superhero community to believe in heroes again set against the backdrop of a love story about oafish farm boy Clark Kent breaking down the walls of a cynical, world-weary Lois Lane… just take my money.
    Last edited by StarSpangledMan; 07-06-2023 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    With Gunn’s affection for Donner and the film’s focus on Supes balancing his dual heritage I’m expecting a Jor-El AI in the Fortress, which could serve as a way to deliver backstory I suppose.
    Krypto might already be living there.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    That response just seems like James Gunn is tired of being asked all these questions.

I suspect Gunn wants to do an origin story w/o really doing one. Hence make it year two. Young, fresh - bright and optimistic. That's what's needed. Coronswet himself said years ago that he wanted a "throwback" Superman. When I think of S:TM it's "who's got you", how big are you?", "mind over muscle" and many great lines/scenes. When I think of MOS it's Cavill's distorted face, screaming after he killed Zod. A world of difference. Whether Gunn can deliver the verisimilitude of S:TM is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I still think they should just simply adapt Morrison’s first AC arc. I don’t know why they are bringing the Authority into this. Seems like a waste of space.
    Agreed. I'm very much against the idea of this movie using anything that isn't from the Super-verse, and if it's going to dedicate a chunk of screen time to setting up the next movie I might just skip it entirely. When I see a Super film, I want Superman, not a big budget, lowkey pitch for whoever the next guy in line is. Especially now; this will be the first film Clark's had since BvS and I will not be accepting or supporting any guest stars stealing his screen time again.

There *is* some potential to the idea of Clark taking on government sponsored superhumans via StormWatch, if that's what actually happens. There's potential there, I can't argue. But Clark's got all the toys he needs for that sorta narrative in his own mythos and DC lost my trust a long time ago; as optimistic as I am about Gunn, it's gonna take more than some good soundbytes for me to give DC my movie money again.

I remain hopeful. I really do, I think Gunn has it in him to give us the Superman we need. Whether he actually does? Time will tell. But even the rumor of other characters playing a significant role here (especially if there's parallels to Action 775) is something I consider a very bad sign.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-08-2023 at 07:57 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The budget will be an issue for SL. Supposedly it will be under 100 million. That could hurt the film insofar as it may preclude SL from having the expansive feel that a Superman film needs. Discovery is so cash strapped they didn't have the money to give Superman and Lois a full final season. Cutting most of the cast regulars to apparently barely get a renewal.

It's not a given SL moves forward as some have noted. It depends on how well Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 do. If they significantly underperform as BA, Shazam 2 and Flash did all bets are off. Investors, not the studio, fund WB films and expect a return for their investment. If the next 2 films fail WB may have to put everything on hold and go to Plan B - perhaps sell off parts of the company including WB. Filming of SL has been pushed back from next January to Apri

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Finger crossed that Gunn and DC will focus more on trilogies of each heroes they want to make movie about rather than a connected universe. Marvel has cornered that market, they need to find their own groove and make Superman great. For once.
    Unfortunately, it's an interconnected universe. I suspect Superman and the other IPs (other than Batman) are not really planned as trilogies or potential trilogies. It's just one film (SL) leading into the next (Authority). In the golden years of comic book film - early 2000s to mid-teens - Marvel was able to put out 3 films/year. Those days are over as moviegoing audiences show less interest in superhero films. So even if SL does well enough to warrant a sequel that sequel likely won't be out until 2029 or so. Similarly, a third film might not debut until 2033 or abouts. That is not the timeframe you want for a trilogy. MOS was meant to be the first of 3 Superman films put out between 2013 and 2019. Less than a decade.

This is why I'm not happy with The Authority appearing in SL. It will take screen time from Superman/Clark and the core Superman characters. This could be the only Superman we get in a long time and so I want it to be about Superman. BTW, Rachel is th co-lead with David which means she will be taking screen time from Clark/Superman. In a way Kidder did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    The budget will be an issue for SL. Supposedly it will be under 100 million. That could hurt the film insofar as it may preclude SL from having the expansive feel that a Superman film needs. Discovery is so cash strapped they didn't have the money to give Superman and Lois a full final season. Cutting most of the cast regulars to apparently barely get a renewal.

It's not a given SL moves forward as some have noted. It depends on how well Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 do. If they significantly underperform as BA, Shazam 2 and Flash did all bets are off. Investors, not the studio, fund WB films and expect a return for their investment. If the next 2 films fail WB may have to put everything on hold and go to Plan B - perhaps sell off parts of the company including WB. Filming of SL has been pushed back from next January to Apri
    Yeah there’s no way in hell the budget is under $100 million. Blue Beetle’s budget is estimated to be about $120 million and that’s considered low.

I’m hoping they can keep it under $200 million.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Gunn should go back to his Troma days for the Legacy budget to be sure it's going to be a BO hit.

If Manchester Black is in the movie that’s enough for me since I love that character and consider him one of my favorite Rogues. If it’s just Lex and the typical Authority lineup then I won’t be happy. No sense getting worked up about it right now however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah there’s no way in hell the budget is under $100 million. Blue Beetle’s budget is estimated to be about $120 million and that’s considered low.

I don’t know where Jeffery gets his info from, some YouTube grifter I assume, but it’s always wrong. Budget definitely needs to be under $200 million, Aquaman had a tight budget and that looked damn good. Gunn has a reputation for not going over budget so I’m not worried there at least.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJUxoEyddKQ&t=1s

Campea recently said that Discovery/WB needs to not crimp on the SL budget. He thinks that SL will lose money partly due to folks having given up on DC films, but that Discovery needs to expect this. Do a quality film that will set the stage for the subsequent films to make money. For sure the budget needs to be under 200 million. A mitigating factor may be that the film's focus will be the DP and Clark/Lois working together. Hence Rachel is the co-lead with David. It doesn't sound like there will be large action sequences that take up a good part of an act as there were with SR and MOS. I'm thinking more of the action/non-action balance that Lois and Clark had.

Disagree with Campea that SL can lose money - if it does you can forget a sequel. SL has to do moderately well. Not a billion but 750/800 million on a budget well under 200 million. The film needs to be more than just well received; it needs to make buck. Zaslav will look at the financial bottom line at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-09-2023 at 03:09 PM.