Page 41 of 167 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

All Star Superman is being rereleased. I haven't seen the movie is it worthy it ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    All Star Superman is being rereleased. I haven't seen the movie is it worthy it ?
    Absolutely.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    you have to get over the art style that they choose to go with but yeah the movie is good in my opinion to give it a watch

the only thing to note is All-star comic it self is more of an anthology series of various silver age homage subplots & one-issue stories all tied together by the over-arcing story of superman's death with the movie however drops the majority of the structure and B-plots in order to streamline into one continuous A-plot so the escape of Bizzaro world or the Jimmy Olsen saving the day subplot is absent due to not really have that much relevancy to the superman-lois-lex A-plot arc

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It has the best line in the 80 years of superman history "Forgive me, Doctor, for I have sinned."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There's actually a whole lot of nothing in these comments. No (mainline) version of Clark *wants* to hurt anyone, he's always looking to save people, not punish them. Including the Golden Age social crusader. He didn't like hurting people either, though he'd find plenty of other ways to throw his weight around.

Only thing that really stood out as telling us anything was Gunn saying that he's not writing a full-blown All-Star style semi-pacifist but that the story is a major influence. Which we already knew, but now we know they're not going 100% All-Star with it.
    It's not like he likes throwing his weight around either.He would be perfectly fine doing his thing in his own corner.. He does have a life glasses and capes nonsense aside..things he react too and things he is critical about are things that he cares deeply about.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-15-2023 at 07:13 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post
    you have to get over the art style that they choose to go with but yeah the movie is good in my opinion to give it a watch

the only thing to note is All-star comic it self is more of an anthology series of various silver age homage subplots & one-issue stories all tied together by the over-arcing story of superman's death with the movie however drops the majority of the structure and B-plots in order to streamline into one continuous A-plot so the escape of Bizzaro world or the Jimmy Olsen saving the day subplot is absent due to not really have that much relevancy to the superman-lois-lex A-plot arc
    Sadly because animated movies can only do so much over a hour. I wish if they could have at least one less movie and use that movie to make a longer movie that's worth it

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I could see a early career Livewire romance, before she gets powers and goes completely off the wall and when Clark was still rough around the edges himself. I think she's enough of a misfit they'd both feel comfortable, both don't trust authority ('Wire far more than Clark, but still), similar musical taste, both want to use their platforms to influence people because they don't always like what they see outside their window.

Obviously it'd be a time bomb doomed from the start and a super (ha!) messy breakup (especially if 'Wire has just gotten powers), but that'd be half the fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My reasoning for wanting it exactly. Could have Lois meanwhile fending off Corben before he becomes Metallo so you get the battle of the evil exs down the road
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

If WB had any sense (they don't), they'd never have gone with James "Antiheroes Are Like Superheroes, Only Cooler" Gunn.

Instead, they'd have called up Brad Bird to write and direct a new Superman movie, one completely removed from the Snyderverse garbage. No rebooted Snyderverse or any connections to that nightmarish continuity.

Bird knows and loves Superman. He's not out to "put his stamp" on something or do a cynical deconstruction.

Another guy who would do a fantastic job with Superman is Sam Raimi. Just look at those first two Spidey movies; there's quite a bit of Superman influence there. Imagine Brainiac or Bizarro through the lens of Raimi's brilliant vision?

Instead, I guarantee that Gunn's "Superman" will be portrayed as out of touch and corny, with Lois and other characters schooling him in how things are in "the real world." His integrity and earnestness will be fodder for punch lines, not sources of his strength and character.

Why? Because Gunn doesn't believe in superheroes. Look at Super!, Brightburn (he co-produced), SS, Peacemaker, and yes, even GoTG.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    If WB had any sense (they don't), they'd never have gone with James "Antiheroes Are Like Superheroes, Only Cooler" Gunn.

Instead, they'd have called up Brad Bird to write and direct a new Superman movie, one completely removed from the Snyderverse garbage. No rebooted Snyderverse or any connections to that nightmarish continuity.

Bird knows and loves Superman. He's not out to "put his stamp" on something or do a cynical deconstruction.

Another guy who would do a fantastic job with Superman is Sam Raimi. Just look at those first two Spidey movies; there's quite a bit of Superman influence there. Imagine Brainiac or Bizarro through the lens of Raimi's brilliant vision?

Instead, I guarantee that Gunn's "Superman" will be portrayed as out of touch and corny, with Lois and other characters schooling him i how things are in "the real world." His integrity and earnestness will be fodder for punch lines, not sources of his strength and character.

Why? Because Gunn doesn't believe in superheroes. Look at Super!, Brightburn (he co-produced), SS, Peacemaker, and yes, even GoTG.
    Yeah!this could happen i wouldn't fault gunn for it either.He was handed the job,like snyder.. trad idea of superman just ain't for everyone.Heck!i would say those that do get that are only handful.That's real problem that character is facing.I also think Spielberg can do something great with trad superman..

Blaming cynicism ain't an answer either.Certain ideas and concepts superman has at it's core just doesn't speak to people anymore.Or better yet if they do it has negative connotations.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Instead, I guarantee that Gunn's "Superman" will be portrayed as out of touch and corny, with Lois and other characters schooling him in how things are in "the real world." His integrity and earnestness will be fodder for punch lines, not sources of his strength and character.

Each time someone floats the idea of a Sam Raimi Superman, I trot out the comment about the prospect of having a Bruce Campbell appearance, which would be awesome, whether it’s an Easter egg or something more.

And there’s this…

83FEB355-2D95-43D8-A91D-0093A34204A0.jpg

Tongue in cheek, of course.

But I do think Raimi would do a pretty good job.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 02-16-2023 at 01:02 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I like this comment
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Astonishing Member

This guy has not said a single.good thing so far. Sounds like we're getting dumb hick Superman tbh.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

Another guy who would do a fantastic job with Superm

Yep. Based off of what he said this is pretty much what I think is going down. I thought we had left this behind in the aughts but I guess.

Trying not be negative but Gunn is giving off major red flags here.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Superman/Lois lane romance pretty much transcends the medium. It's a part of the pop culture now, just like Romeo/Juliet. GA will notice the lack of it and it won't be positive.
    The MCU had a startlingly lack of Mary Jane Watson and people still went to see the movies. And Spider-Man has been more popular than Superman for years at this point. So if Spider-Man can have a lack of Mary Jane, Superman can have a lack of Lois Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    The MCU had a startlingly lack of Mary Jane Watson and people still went to see the movies. And Spider-Man has been more popular than Superman for years at this point. So if Spider-Man can have a lack of Mary Jane, Superman can have a lack of Lois Lane.
    Zendaya is a version of MJ. They played coy with it in the first movie but she’s MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Zendaya is a version of MJ. They played coy with it in the first movie but she’s MJ.
    The problem is they should've gone all out Mary Jane Watson with her from the get-go.