Page 108 of 167 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2502
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    “Villain”? These trades really don’t know these characters at all. Yeah I think my theory about this movie is going to be proven true, it will follow the All-Star/FAS format of being a string of small stories connected by one overarching backbone of Clark trying to strike a balance in his life. There’s too many supporting characters for most of them to be anything more than brief interactions.
    Thematically I like this idea for the basis of the movie since it’ll offer a different take than what we normally see. Plus, it’s a nice way to tell a story without having to delve into the origin story yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    This is too crowded if you ask me. Even if it is a blink it you’ll miss it kinda thing
    Generally speaking I agree. If the movie is a set of related vignettes with a common thread as referenced above however, it would be a good way to quell the fear of an over saturated cast.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Hopefully itÂ’s not just those three. Lex obviously is in the mix, maybe Lobo, and if this plot leak is right we might get Manchester Black too. Might be some reason to hope Black is indeed in this, it would explain why DC abruptly rushed Ending Battle back into print. Basis of the plot definitely seems like itÂ’s going to draw on WhatÂ’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, and The American Way? although itÂ’s odd that wasnÂ’t listed as influence by either Gunn or DC.
    It seems they are casting 6 roles out of auditions for only 3 characters... there'll be definitely more characters in the final film than the ones that are even going to officially announce.

I think Gunn is just telling is own story and not adapting a specific comic or he would've cited one like he's doing for WoT. He mentioned All-Star as main influence, and that's far away for any Authority storyline.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

“Villain”? These trades really don’t know these characters at all. Yeah I think my theory about this movie is going to be proven true, it will follow the All-Star/FAS format of being a string of small stories connected by one overarching backbone of Clark trying to strike a balance in his life. There’s too many supporting characters for most of them to be anything more than brief interactions.
    I'd argue that this is a common trait of Gunn's comic films for the past decade or so, reaching back to the first Guardians of the Galaxy film and then becoming far more apparent in Vol. 2 onwards, like with Gunn introducing the OG Guardians of the Galaxy characters from the comics in minor appearances as "the Ravagers" or the myriad of small time DC supervillains that popped up in The Suicide Squad, like Calendar Man being a fellow inmate with at Belle Reve with the main cast. The vast bulk of other superhero characters we see in Legacy are definitely going to be brief cameos for world building, but I doubt that the story will be largely a vignette like All-Star or For All Seasons.

If I had to guess, Engineer and whichever future Authority members we meet here will probably be narrative antagonists and are probably currently working for Stormwatch (maybe Lex is helping fund the program with the government as he runs for President) and butting heads with Clark through the first two-thirds of the film over how superheroes should do their duty. If the previous rumors about Brainiac having some sort of appearance or presence in the story are correct, the third act probably borrows a bit from Stormwatch vs Aliens and helps set the stage for the surviving members to branch away from the government and form the Authority.

EDIT: To clarify, I'd wager that all of this would be smaller side-narratives, while the bulk of the film focuses on Clark's personal struggle as Superman and his interactions with Lois, Jimmy and Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    This is too crowded if you ask me. Even if it is a blink it you’ll miss it kinda thing
    I'm definitely getting a tad nervous myself, but as I said above- this is actually something Gunn has made a habit of doing regularly in his last several films. So long as the film doesn't lose focus on its central players and handles these other appearances in generally the same way he has previously, we should be fine.
    Last edited by Hurricane Billy; 11-16-2023 at 10:50 AM.

Yeah Ascended pointed out earlier in the thread that Gunn tends to have more than one antagonist. Ego was the Big Bad of GOTG2 but it also had the Ravagers and Sovereign play antagonist roles. Momoa as Lobo is also rumored for Legacy, Lex is going to be in this, maybe Brainiac or Manchester Black will appear too. It’s a lot to juggle which is why I’m nervous but Gunn’s earned himself some trust, even if he’s certainly testing the limits of it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Probably be more like Man of Tomorrow.

Parasite was the main villain but Lex was involved and Lobo was there for Superman to also fight.

Fantastic Member

Seems to me like Gunn has no faith in either Superman or in his own capability in writing Superman, so he is throwing everything at the wall, hoping something sticks. Interesting approach, but let's see if it will be successful.

I think Gunn should have handed Superman to some other director, just because he is at the helm doesn't mean he has an obligation to make the first movie.

Although given how unpopular Superman has been in recent decades to general audience, maybe he couldn't find any other director willing to take it up, so Gunn had to step up and take the challenge. Hope he succeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Seems to me like Gunn has no faith in either Superman or in his own capability in writing Superman, so he is throwing everything at the wall, hoping something sticks. Interesting approach, but let's see if it will be successful.

I think Gunn should have handed Superman to some other director, just because he is at the helm doesn't mean he has an obligation to make the first movie.

Although given how unpopular Superman has been in recent decades to general audience, maybe he couldn't find any other director willing to take it up, so Gunn had to step up and take the challenge. Hope he succeeds.
    Actually, other directors have wanted to do Superman. Most recently McQuarrie (sp?) who made a pitch to WB several years ago - before Gunn was on board. But I too have no more faith in Gunn than I had in Snyder. However popular the Superman IP is it is not as popular as Batman, WW and Aquaman or many of the MCU characters such as Spiderman. Everything else being equal it was a bad decision to launch the DCU with Superman and it may end the DCU before it gets off the ground if SL underperforms.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 11-16-2023 at 01:48 PM.

The people want Krypto! It’s funny to see this in light of the Krypto debate we had here , I think people will go nuts if he’s in the Legacy trailer.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The people want Krypto! It’s funny to see this in light of the Krypto debate we had here , I think people will go nuts if he’s in the Legacy trailer.
    I think it was Deadline to casually mention WoT will feature Supergirl and Krypto.

Is Krypto going to be the Nick Fury of the Supes franchise and connect the projects?

Gunn talks about Krypto all the time, he's definitely showing up.

As more news comes out about Superman Legacy the rumors continue to be validated. Specifically, the early rumor (put out by Grace and others) that SL is an ensemble film featuring a Middle East bad guy(s) manipulated by Lex. Basically, a redo of Black Adam. It is getting harder to deny that SL will be an ensemble film featuring Lois and Clark. An ensemble of protagonists and antagonists of whom Gunn assures us Lois and Clark will be the lead good guys. Despite Gunn comments the casting of The Engineer is raising more concerns/doubts among fans as to whether Superman legacy will really be a Superman film.

The more overstuffed Superman Legacy becomes the more it feels "small" and not the epic a newly launched Superman film should be. Why WBD is overstuffing Superman Legacy is the question. Is it Gunn's comfort/preference for writing ensemble films? Is it Zaslav wanting to showcase DCU heroes and villains for a potential buyer? Is it doubts about a stand-alone Superman film not being enough of a draw for audiences? If it's the latter WDB is going about it the wrong way. Superman is not the biggest draw, but these other characters are much less so. The Engineer? Please. If Zaslav wants this to be a showcase DC film put Batman or Wonder Woman or Flash into it.

It seems this film has 2 tracks. Lois and Clark as reporters and Superman in a separate world interacting with many heroes and antagonists. As to the former, the rumor is Gunn wrote the script with Brosnahan in mind as Lois. Brosnahan was cast as the full-on co-star with Coronswet meaning near equal screentime and lines. Don't be surprised if Brosnahan's Lois is the main protagonist of the Lois/Clark/DP arc. The latter track? The growing list of heroes and villains are almost all unknown so their presence in the film will need some explication. Meaning these characters will get a lot more than just a cameo shot. As for Cornonswet's Superman, he'll be interacting with a lot of "key" characters. This will actually dilute Superman as having a single (Brainiac) villain allows for more characterization of Superman. In the above scenario Superman could become a plot point in his own film as Cavill became in BvS.

The risk for Legacy if this ensemble film scenario is true is it will lose much of the Superman fanbase. BvS was ostensibly a Superman film, but it was highjacked and now SL may be going down the same path. If the film is all B/C heroes/villains that are not Superman related and if a big bad like Brainiac or Metallo is not in it support will collapse. Fans want a Superman film, not a DC showcase film. SL needs the enthusiastic support of most of the Superman fanbase if it hopes to be a success. Fans like me who got quite a few co-workers and friends to see MOS who otherwise would not have.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 11-16-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Actually, other directors have wanted to do Superman. Most recently McQuarrie (sp?) who made a pitch to WB several years ago - before Gunn was on board. But I too have no more faith in Gunn than I had in Snyder. However popular the Superman IP is it is not as popular as Batman, WW and Aquaman or many of the MCU characters such as Spiderman. Everything else being equal it was a bad decision to launch the DCU with Superman and it may end the DCU before it gets off the ground if SL underperforms.
    Didn't know about McQuarrie being interested. Wish he had gotten the chance.

Totally agree with you, I also have no faith in Gunn.

I really hoped Krypto does show up and now I have a pretty good feeling it's going to happen. Seeing him on the big screen will be awesome

Corenswet looking swole! Oh and one other detail:

One of Gunn’s first posts on Threads was Lobo and since he teased the Engineer and we know she’s showing up in Legacy, yeah I think Lobo is a lock for Legacy too.
    Momoa may return, just not as Aquaman. Sources say the actor has engaged in talks to play Lobo, either in the 2025 reboot “Superman: Legacy,” written and directed by Gunn, or in a standalone film.
    https://variety.com/2023/film/news/a...er-1235747775/
    “It is true, Jason Momoa is Lobo,” said Sneider. “Done. Jason Momoa has been cast as Lobo, and that will be officially announced, most likely, in February.” Sneider added that the delayed announcement has nothing to do with the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike. Rather, Warner Bros. Discovery wants to wait until the theatrical run of the DCEU film Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom — which stars Momoa as Aquaman — has finished.
    https://www.youtube.com/live/8Slexf3...fMQCQjphIgyBsR
    During his interview with Jimmy Fallon, Momoa confirms that "The Lost Kingdom" (barring something unexpected) will be the last of his Aquaman films: "This is kinda like the end of this DC Universe." But that doesn't mean it won't be the start of something new for Momoa in Gunn & Safran's DCU (something the actor hinted at previously). Playfully taking Fallon's hand, Mamoa says, "There will always be a place for me at DC." Responding to Fallon's follow-up, Momoa added, "They like me," and appeared to have more to say – before Fallon cut him off with whatever he had to say (ugh).
    https://bleedingcool.com/tv/snl-host...medium=twitter

Besides Lex it appears like Lobo being in Legacy is a done deal. That’s enough to satisfy me villain wise if I’m right, means we’ll get at least one Superman Rogue on the big screen we’ve never gotten before.

Besides Lex it appears like Lobo being in Legacy is a done deal. That’s enough to satisfy me villain wise if I’m right, means we’ll get at least one Superman Rogue on the big screen we’ve never gotten before.
    It's hard to argue against Lobo. I'd have preferred someone else, like Brainiac or Metallo or Mongul, even Maxima, somebody a little more evil and a larger scale threat, but....it's Lobo, and he and Superman are usually pretty great together. And Mamoa will be a serviceable Lobo at worst, and at best will actually act instead of just playing himself and will be amazing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.