Page 146 of 169 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2526

(Schwartz clarified that, despite how well “Superman & Lois” has performed, the decision to end the DC property came from Warner Bros. — “They don’t want a competing Superman product in the marketplace,” Schwartz said, referring to James Gunn’s 2025 movie “Superman: Legacy.”)
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...xUllKby672f3Qu

WB going all in on Gunn. MAWS should be safe since it’s animation at least. Don’t think Gunn has any plans for his own separate Superman cartoon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

So I'm guessing we'll be lucky if we get elseworlds takes in cartoon form moving forward that aren't set in Gunn's DCU.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

WB going all in on Gunn. MAWS should be safe since it’s animation at least. Don’t think Gunn has any plans for his own separate Superman cartoon.
    I will never understand why having a television series is considered competition for the films.

Astonishing Member

It's funny, how they have no issues with two ongoing Batman franchises (in the form of movies), but don't want to have two Supermen, with one being the lead of TV-show.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So I'm guessing we'll be lucky if we get elseworlds takes in cartoon form moving forward that aren't set in Gunn's DCU.
    I think the licensed shows should be safe and the animated projects that were already in development pre-Gunn/Safran, but if the Tomorrowverse is ending, the non-DCU series could disappear one by one starting with the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It's funny, how they have no issues with two ongoing Batman franchises (in the form of movies), but don't want to have two Supermen, with one being the lead of TV-show.
    Well, TBATB and The Batman Part II aren't supposed to release at the same time, nor we have any guarantee of Pattinson/Reeves being allowed to do a third one.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I think the licensed shows should be safe and the animated projects that were already in development pre-Gunn/Safran, but if the Tomorrowverse is ending, the non-DCU series could disappear one by one starting with the next year.

Well, TBATB and The Batman Part II aren't supposed to release at the same time, nor we have any guarantee of Pattinson/Reeves being allowed to do a third one.
    True. But WBD/Gunn ended a very popular Superman TV series and that garners more dislike for the studio given how it is and has treated Superman. The troubling thing is if Superman Legacy underperforms, which is a real possibility, then live action Superman will come to an end for the foreseeable future. It's pretty clear that Superman is not a priority for Gunn/WBD and there is no guarantee that Gunn won't end MAWS after its second season. He has total control.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-17-2024 at 09:48 AM.

Astonishing Member

If they cancel Part III they'll get another backlash, unless Part II turns out to be bad. If Reeves wants to do it, they will definitely allow him.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Thanks James!

Schwartz clarified that, despite how well “Superman & Lois” has performed, the decision to end the DC property came from Warner Bros. — “They don’t want a competing Superman product in the marketplace,” Schwartz said, referring to James Gunn’s 2025 movie “Superman: Legacy.”
    https://www.thewrap.com/cw-brad-schw...r-tv-strategy/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Animation and video games are the only places I think we’ll see Elseworld projects. Despite Gunn’s claims I don’t believe that the Coates project will get greenlit, they’re just too scared to outright cancel it for fear of Twitter backlash, we saw yesterday how eager many on social media are to go after Gunn. There won’t be multiple competing live action takes on the characters for as long as they stick with Gunn’s DCU.
    I wouldn’t say they don’t have issues, but their hands are tied. Zaslav already signed a brand new contract with Reeves, and his first film already came out and was a success. Plus it seems like Gunn and Safran want to work with Reeves within the DCU, Reeves Arkham Asylum show has apparently been retooled to be a DCU project. They’re tolerating Reeves Elseworld line but they definitely would have preferred if he had folded The Batman into the DCU like they asked him to. They’re not going to make the same mistake with Superman it seems.

If they cancel Part III they'll get another backlash, unless Part II turns out to be bad. If Reeves wants to do it, they will definitely allow him.
    Unless Part II is a colossal failure I believe we will get a Part III. But I don’t think all of the Reeves Batman spin-offs he has planned will get made. They’ll either be turned into DCU projects like the Arkham show is rumored to have been, or cancelled.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Bassem Youssef addresses yesterday's headlines: https://twitter.com/Byoussef/status/1758919448050778273

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    True. But WBD/Gunn ended a very popular Superman TV series and that garners more dislike for the studio given how it is and has treated Superman. The troubling thing is if Superman Legacy underperforms, which is a real possibility, then live action Superman will come to an end for the foreseeable future. It's pretty clear that Superman is not a priority for Gunn/WBD and there is no guarantee that Gunn won't end MAWS after its second season. He has total control.
    Putting all the eggs in one basket is risky but thy could backtrack a bit if it doesn't work.

Unless Part II is a colossal failure I believe we will get a Part III. But I don’t think all of the Reeves Batman spin-offs he has planned will get made. They’ll either be turned into DCU projects like the Arkham show is rumored to have been, or cancelled.
    I don't see how it can work going back and forth with 2 different iterations of Batman for the next 5+ years.

Bassem Youssef addresses yesterday's headlines: https://twitter.com/Byoussef/status/1758919448050778273

Putting all the eggs in one basket is risky but thy could backtrack a bit if it doesn't work.

I don't see how it can work going back and forth with 2 different iterations of Batman for the next 5+ years.
    Glad I was wrong about Yousseff. Hope his words can reach people and go viral the way the initial post did.

Well maybe there won’t be more DCU Batman projects? Seems like TBATB is simply setting up the Batfamily and Damian in particular to be involved in the wider DCU.

Glad I was wrong about Yousseff. Hope his words can reach people and go viral the way the initial post did.
    It's not controversial like the initial post so it won't go viral.

Well maybe there won’t be more DCU Batman projects? Seems like TBATB is simply setting up the Batfamily and Damian in particular to be involved in the wider DCU.
    Maybe it's a team up with other heroes (+the batfam) like the old Brave and the Bold comics and it'll be marketed as such instead of a solo Batman movie.

But, for decades, WB's overall non-written rule was that 2 actors can't portray the same character at the same time, unless a multiverse storyline is involved or restrictions are imposed for how and/or how long said character can be used.

It's not controversial like the initial post so it won't go viral.

Maybe it's a team up with other heroes (+the batfam) like the old Brave and the Bold comics and it'll be marketed as such instead of a solo Batman movie.

But, for decades, WB's overall non-written rule was that 2 actors can't portray the same character at the same time, unless a multiverse storyline is involved or restrictions are imposed for how and/or how long said character can be used.
    While Batman is popular enough to sustain 2 ongoing film franchises, it may be that with just 2 films/year and Gunn's plan to showcase 2nd tier characters he doesn't want Batman taking the scarce film slots which 2 franchises would do. Plus, WBD has only so much money it can put into the films and 2 Bats franchises will take a big chunk of WBD's resources. WBD is contracted to do Reeves' Batman 2, but I could see the studio "forcing" Pattison into the DCU for it to greenlight a third Reeves' film. If Reeves says no, then Gunn will bring in his own Batman. Beyond that I'm not sure how committed Gunn is to DC Elseworlds. Constantine looks shaky, the Abrams project probably won't happen, but Gunn would face a backlash if he canceled it, and it would have been easy to give Superman and Lois a 5th season as a DC Elseworlds but that didn't happen - even though it would have garnered Gunn/WBD good PR.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-18-2024 at 10:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

In theory, they could announce that Reeves' Batman is a prequel to the DCU and TBATB, taking place 10-15 years before Legacy and TBATB (Bruce young age allows that technically), allowing Reeves to do what he wants (unless he plans to kill off Bruce or retire him), but also technically making The Batman the first DCU project. If Pattinson wants, he can stay, if he doesn't, then there will be recast.
    But I doubt they consider that.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

In theory, they could announce that Reeves' Batman is a prequel to the DCU and TBATB, taking place 10-15 years before Legacy and TBATB (Bruce young age allows that technically), allowing Reeves to do what he wants (unless he plans to kill off Bruce or retire him), but also technically making The Batman the first DCU project. If Pattinson wants, he can stay, if he doesn't, then there will be recast.
    But I doubt they consider that.
    Reeves has made it known he has no interest in his Batman being part of the DCU. Same as Nolans Batman.