Page 16 of 167 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Not a bad idea. Just have Alex reveal he funded Mentallos transformation or something. Still he is involved which is something Clark doesn’t need.
    Oh, he doesn't *need* it. I'm just saying that if we want to build to Lex and not just have him be out there, him having been in the background this whole time and even we as the audience didn't know it until like movie 2 or so could be a great way to do that. It shelves Lex without shelving him. But that doesn't have to be how it's played in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah the corporate culture there confuses the hell out of me. Wildly unprofessional, seemingly inept and utterly disconnected with their consumer base....and this persists no matter who's in charge. How the hell do you completely replace the entire management organization, shuffle everyone into new departments, multiple times, and still walk out the exact same company with the exact same culture and shortcomings? My god Hollywood really must be a cesspool of talentless, rich hacks because I feel like half the posters here have a better grasp on the business elements and as far as I know damn few of us are businessmen.
    That's my thinking. There has to be someone or something there that *doesn't* change that's causing this mindset. That, or just the way these corporate idiots are educated makes them uniquely unqualified to have any hand in Superman... which, honestly, wouldn't surprise me, either.

I think Gunn is a good choice for a DC godfather....at least potentially. He's proven himself with C-listers and made guys like Peacemaker and Rocket/Groot household names but I wonder how he'll handle the big guys, the giant archetypes who aren't strictly "characters" and have one foot in the side of modern mythology archetypes. Gotta handle them differently, they can't just act like "people" you have to keep the symbolism in mind too. Much like Geoff Johns we may discover that Gunn is a wizard with characters nobody knows but drops the ball with the big fish.
    That's a good point. I guess we'll find out soon enough, lol

One thing that gives me hope is how Gunn tapped into the quiet tragedy of Rocket. That's a character who, on the surface, is just a funny, lovable little furball but Gunn recognized the horror and the pain there and that's what made Rocket work, that gave him depth and pathos. I'm hopeful that he'll also recognize the same kind of duality in DC's big names. That's often the key to those guys, and people like Maggin were well aware of the tonal balance the characters need in order to work effectively. I think Gunn has the ability to see all that, if he looks for it. Not sure if Zaslav gets it, or if he just wants post-Crisis-y, flawless, living-that-perfect-life space jesus.
    Definitely. That's something the Broze Age seemed to do well with Superman, too. I mean, I feel we could certainly make a Post-Crisis movie and make it work, too, but even doing that properly is something I'm not sure they can handle. So hopefully they figure something else out that's solid for general audiences.

Well, probably not *20* but definitely more than a couple. I'd think a string of 3-4 successful films would be enough to start generating some goodwill and undoing the brand damage. Basically the first year, maybe two, of Gunn's regime should be considered handicapped by DC's reputation and box office projections should be lowered.
    lol, well.. true. I mean across DC - so all the characters. If they did a solid block of 5 budget-friendly films a year for 4 years, that would go a long ways toward regaining trust if the stories are there, and even put them more on the path to the "Marvel money" they really want.

I definitely feel bad for Cavill, this is a role he loves and he so desperately wanted a chance to do it right. But I don't know how the hell anyone convinced him to go public with his return as Clark before a contract was in place. That's just foolish, especially considering how WB's treated him in the past.
    I think that's on The Rock. Most likely, they thought that all of these announcements together would help "Black Adam" do well enough to cement a sequel, and then he'd really be set. Or if not just that, then the general sentiment in support of Cavill + that would do it. Plus, it was a new group, and they may have said "hey, we're shopping for scripts now, so you might as well announce while we get this sorted to show how much people want you to make it easier to pitch". But yeah, I don't think he'll want much to do with them for some time - and if they do want him back for a cameo or something, they pay through the nose. That's certainly what I'd do after all this.

T-shirt Superman and that updated Golden Age social crusader vibe....that's precisely what the character, and the world, needs. Which is why I don't expect to get it.
    Agreed.

If Gunn is a big Morrison fan, maybe we'll get an homage to the t-shirt stuff, a brief origin scene or something, but would WB in their infinite ignorance really make a whole movie about a Superman who can't fly, won't be space jesus, and shoves his nose into real world concerns? If we get an adaptation of Morrison's first arc I'll be the happiest son of a bitch on earth but I'm not holding my breath.
    Jon Peters didn't want him to fly, but that's a whole other thing.. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I can’t tell you how pissed off I am at WB for their conduct handling the DCEU movies.

We all are wishing the new Superman team the best, but WB has no one but themselves to blame for the current state of things. And worse case scenario of the new Superman not being a huge hit like they want. No Superman movie has yet to hit a billion dollars. WB wants that, no question.
    Oh, definitely. They're always well behind the curve, without a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I can't really see Metallo carrying a movie without Sam or Lex holding his hand. Sure, he will have the final battle but Lex would be carrying the movie. Same with Parasite and Bizarro. Manchester Black could work but only in the second movie. Which is why he should have been the main villain in MOS 2 if WB had half a brain cell. My is way too goody to work in live action. Toy man works only in cartoons. Mongol can definitely carry a movie but you had to take Superman away from Earth. Darkseid can also carry a movie but he be better for a JL movie. Brainiac can also carry a movie and he can be the main bad in a JL movie. Hank Henkshaw? Maybe as much as I like him we need a DOS storyline and he has to be set up first. Silver Banshee? I don't think she would work.
    Honestly, i think more of these could work than it may seem - but requires some creativity.. and who knows if they have the brains for that, so you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’ve been thinking of ways you could update Metallo, and what villains you could pair him with/pit him against, without making him a “mere” henchman:
    Interesting... I like it!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I think that's on The Rock. Most likely, they thought that all of these announcements together would help "Black Adam" do well enough to cement a sequel, and then he'd really be set. Or if not just that, then the general sentiment in support of Cavill + that would do it. Plus, it was a new group, and they may have said "hey, we're shopping for scripts now, so you might as well announce while we get this sorted to show how much people want you to make it easier to pitch". But yeah, I don't think he'll want much to do with them for some time - and if they do want him back for a cameo or something, they pay through the nose. That's certainly what I'd do after all this.
    The new WB's CEO De Luca wanted to give Henry a solo to have second chance. After the announcement in late October, it was reported Henry was in final talks for a contract. But in Zaslav's new power structure, WB CEO's decisions don't matter shit if, after being hired as DC bosses, Gunn/Safran will decide otherwise. Snyder and Hamada didn't have power over WB's president for the DC properties. Henry would've got his solo even as "Elsewords" on every other studio after a CEO decided to make that movie.

Extraordinary Member

Here's an idea for how you could make Parasite (or rather, multiple Parasites) a Big Bad, even if he shouldn't ever be a Chessmaster type:

Go full "The Thing" with the conflict here, giving Parasite both the shapeshifting power he gained in the 00s and a horror monster vibe, in a film that is as much of a procedural, "expose" type of story as it is a classic beat-em-up. The trick to beating the Parasite(s) isn't just to not touch them and find indirect ways to assault them - you have to uncover them, the source of their powers, and then their victims before they die.

Basically, take the "Parasite masquerading as Lois" story and add in another Parasite, and have the Parasite's mental "downloading" be even more a part of the script than the power one - imagine a story where part of the conflict is having Parasite find people's secrets, learn to impersonate them very well, and all the implications therein. Maybe one of them touches Lex briefly, gets a dose of Lex's guile, misanthropy, and insecurity, and part of the film could be Lex having to defend himself because Parasite wants that "smart brain" of his, giving us a chance to hype up Lex as a future adversary when we see his tech and strategies in action. Maybe one of them captures Clark for a while, but becomes enamored of his civilian life as much as his Superman life, leading to Lois having to catch on and then figure out a way to evade him and rescue Clark - and therefore Superman.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Michael Rosenbaum, who I had no idea was a real-life personal friend of James Gunn, is willing to take a break from the limousine-riding jet-flying world of podcast hosting to return as Lex.

https://www.cbr.com/smallville-micha...cu-lex-luthor/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-19-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Michael Rosenbaum, who I had no idea was a real-life personal friend of James Gunn, is willing to take a break from the limousine-riding jet-flying world of podcast hosting to return as Lex.

Bro if the DCU Superman ends up being Tom welling

Who wouldn’t want to get paid? He’s older than Cavill is and I can’t see Gunn going for a 50 year old Lex up against a 20 something Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The new WB's CEO De Luca wanted to give Henry a solo to have second chance. After the announcement in late October, it was reported Henry was in final talks for a contract. But in Zaslav's new power structure, WB CEO's decisions don't matter shit if, after being hired as DC bosses, Gunn/Safran will decide otherwise. Snyder and Hamada didn't have power over WB's president for the DC properties. Henry would've got his solo even as "Elsewords" on every other studio after a CEO decided to make that movie.
    Ah - yeah, that makes sense, too.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Keep in mind Gunn has a short-term contract up in 2026. Also keep in mind Zaslav reportedly wants to sell off WB which he can't do until 2024 per the WBD merger agreement. If WB is sold in 2024 Gunn's contract likely will be bought out so the new company can put their person in charge of DC Studios. I suspect that is why the announcement of a slate coming next year will likely only see a handful of films actually put into production.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 12-19-2022 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Keep in mind Gunn has a short-term contract up in 2026. Also keep in mind Zaslav reportedly wants to sell off WB which he can't do until 2024 per the WBD merger agreement. If WB is sold in 2024 Gunn's contract likely will be bought out so the new company can put their person in charge of DC Studios. I suspect that is why the announcement of a slate coming next year will likely only see a handful of films actually put into production.
    Yeah... If all of that ends up happening, then I think we can essentially write off DC films (as a larger grouping, anyway) for the next few years unless Gunn hits paydirt so hard that he can't be fired.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Yeah... If all of that ends up happening, then I think we can essentially write off DC films (as a larger grouping, anyway) for the next few years unless Gunn hits paydirt so hard that he can't be fired.
    Yup. As it is WBD will perhaps have only 2 films out for late 2024/2025. That is the timeframe when a sale would be taking place. If 2 WBD films hit paydirt during that time it ups the value of WB and increases what Comcast (presumably) would pay for the company. Zaslav and Gunn have to be looking at what films could do a billion and give greenlights to them. Not a lot of DC properties can pull that off but certainly a Wonder Woman 3 and Green Lantern would have good shots at doing so.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 12-19-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Spectacular Member

If he makes flops…he’ll be let go

If he does not…he’ll keep his job

Yup. As it is WBD will perhaps have only 2 films out for late 2024/2025. That is the timeframe when a sale would be taking place. If 2 WBD films hit paydirt during that time it ups the value of WB and increases what Comcast (presumably) would pay for the company. Zaslav and Gunn have to be looking at what films could do a billion and give greenlights to them. Not a lot of DC properties can pull that off but certainly a Wonder Woman 3 and Green Lantern would have good shots at doing so.
    Possibly, yeah. A lot will depend on China, and the general economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    If he makes flops…he’ll be let go

If he does not…he’ll keep his job
    lol - pretty basic, right? In all sincerity, though, I think it's greater than that: they can't just be "not flops," I think they have to do considerably well. If WB is smart, they'll go in with managed expectations... but that isn't generally their pattern, so they'll very likely crater to the "it's a failure if it doesn't do 1B" current Hollywood mindset. If it were me, I'd do in making movies with the expectation of (and budget for profit from) making $500m or $600m, and be happy if they excel that.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Rosenbaum was a great Lex. IMO he and John Shea are the two best Lex actors. That said, Lex should be older but not that much older than Clark. As was the case in Smallville and L&C. Despite Gunn saying his script is a year two take on Superman it is really yet another origin story. The Lex actor should be early 30s if the Superman actor is mid-20s. BTW, Rosenbaum does a great podcast. His interviews with Brandon Routh were excellent. He and Welling do a Smallville podcast which is fun. Never liked Welling as he seemed uptight and standoffish with fans, but he is much more relaxed and fun in their podcast.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 12-19-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Possibly, yeah. A lot will depend on China, and the general economy.

lol - pretty basic, right? In all sincerity, though, I think it's greater than that: they can't just be "not flops," I think they have to do considerably well. If WB is smart, they'll go in with managed expectations... but that isn't generally their pattern, so they'll very likely crater to the "it's a failure if it doesn't do 1B" current Hollywood mindset. If it were me, I'd do in making movies with the expectation of (and budget for profit from) making $500m or $600m, and be happy if they excel that.
    They let Reeves wall off Batman from the rest of the DCU, as well as do a bunch of HBO Max projects, and he only made $770 million with The Batman. I don’t think the new regime has quite as insane standards as the previous regimes, but Gunn needs to not go crazy with budgets like Snyder did.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They let Reeves wall off Batman from the rest of the DCU, as well as do a bunch of HBO Max projects, and he only made $770 million with The Batman. I don’t think the new regime has quite as insane standards as the previous regimes, but Gunn needs to not go crazy with budgets like Snyder did.
    True, but that's likely due to critical acclaim and the $200m budget (including promotion, iirc). If they can keep future budgets low and pull that consistently in, I'd let them do that, too.

You still raise a good point: if Gunn can replicate what Reeves is doing on a slightly larger scale, he may be good - and "The Batman" getting a sequel is a potential example to show it. My sinking suspicion is that since Gunn will be in charge of the "main universe," he'll have higher expectations set on him, which (for the studio, anyway) shouldn't necessarily be the case.

I hope you're right, though!
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com