Page 33 of 167 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

The promo was vague but I rather get Morrison's Action Comics and the Authority run as the tone for this reboot.

Embrace the weird history of the Silver Age and the Rabble Rouser spirit of the Golden Age.

Having Supergirl be from new Krypton and looking for any new survivors would be a cool take.

Having Mr. OZ be Kru-el could be fun.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Kru-El_(Earth-One)

I still rather skip Clark and go for Conner but I'm still hoping Gunn wins me over like Reeves does.

While I'm generally pretty damn happy, I won't lie, two things of concern was Gunn calling Superman a "galoot" and making a "farm boy" reference. That term has become a bad harbinger throughout the years. But just hoping they know well enough to make these things balanced.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    While I'm generally pretty damn happy, I won't lie, two things of concern was Gunn calling Superman a "galoot" and making a "farm boy" reference. That term has become a bad harbinger throughout the years. But just hoping they know well enough to make these things balanced.
    That and Safran using “The American Way” did make me nervous too. Given it’s an early years story I expect we will see Clark **** up the same way that Battison was making rookie mistakes in his movie. I’m just hoping Gunn doesn’t lean too hard into him being “naive” to the point of idiocy or making him out to be “simple”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Ugh Twitter but i prefer no trunks.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That and Safran using “The American Way” did make me nervous too. Given it’s an early years story I expect we will see Clark **** up the same way that Battison was making rookie mistakes in his movie. I’m just hoping Gunn doesn’t lean too hard into him being “naive” to the point of idiocy or making him out to be “simple”.
    Some of the quotes do kind of intimate a heavy dose of nostalgia. References are fine and good but I def hope they don’t lean exclusively on nostalgia, lest it become too hokey. A little bit of hokiness is ok too but shouldn’t be the overriding theme of the thing.

And speaking for myself, I do like the current “… and a Better Tomorrow” tagline.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member

The details we've been given are a bit vague, but I do generally feel this could be a great new take on the character. I personally loved MOS and the Cavill/Snyder take but I know that it was polarizing and that DC/WB might want to play it safer. But I just hope we don't end up with Donner 2.0. At the very least, I suppose Clark struggling with his human and Kryptonian heritages precludes it being purely based off the Donner take (where, barring the middle of Superman II, there was no real struggle as such - he pretty much was Kal-El, with Clark Kent largely being an act).

I know that Birthright and Morrison's New 52 run are obvious touchstones (as well as American Alien), but I still can't help but wish this movie takes inspiration from Superman Smashes the Klan - specifically the parts of that story which deal with Superman's own immigrant experience and his anxieties over his own alien nature. That said, I'd love it if this is the movie where we finally get Brainiac on the big-screen...frankly, if Gunn can deliver that he can do whatever the hell he wants!

I'm also curious to know how this movie is going to fit in timeline/continuity-wise. It's pretty clear by now that Gunn's DCU is a soft reboot, where it seems that Superman and Batman are the only characters confirmed to be getting rebooted from the ground up. Batman's been around long enough in this universe for Damian to be showing up, and Hal and John are both GL's. The Aquaman, Shazam, Blue Beetle, Wonder Woman and Flash of the original DCEU might notionally still be around. In this context, are we getting a 'Year Two' story with a young Superman? Or are we dealing with an established Superman (albeit one who's discovering his heritage years into his career - as was the case in the Golden Age or Byrne's MOS)? If its a young Superman, could it be set years in the past, or is this a universe where Clark has only recently become Superman in a world where Damian is becoming Robin?

Late to the party.

Similarly, Safran and Gunn left the door open for Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Zachary Levi to continue playing their respective DC superheroes of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash and Shazam
    But also

Quote Originally Posted by James Gunn
    I like Henry, I think he’s a great guy. I think he’s getting dicked around by a lot of people, including the former regime at this company.
    I just thought it was funny that Gunn is (supposedly) leaving the door open for literally anyone but Cavill, but it's the bunch of other people who're screwing Cavill. Not that I'm saying he should've cast Cavill, I just find this juxtaposition amusing.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I just thought it was funny that Gunn is (supposedly) leaving the door open for literally anyone but Cavill, but it's the bunch of other people who're screwing Cavill. Not that I'm saying he should've cast Cavill, I just find this juxtaposition amusing.
    Fixed for Gunn: "I think he’s getting dicked around by a lot of people, including myself and Safran."

It shouldn't be lost though that those Gunn "left the door open for" are characters that don't yet have a rebooted project on the horizon. I think that tune changes once the next batch of films get greenlit, which I assume will be headlined by characters like WW, Flash, GL, though that obviously is a ways away.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Would you consider a man who has killed to protect some one good?how about stealing to feed the hungry? whether say yes or no..would your opinion matter?
    Cap basically followed suit.He broke the law and became a fugitive from his country.Good is decided by the society.Cap's society deemed fear tactic to be moral.So cap by not complying became "bad".Cap is a man fighting for an ideal. that is freedom.
    With the exception of the killing part, this is always been the best version of Supes. This is exactly what I'm advocating for. This version has existed on more than one occasion. Which is why I loved it when he gave up his US citizenship some years back.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 02-01-2023 at 02:52 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

...Do we actually know how "young" the new Superman is going to be? I know Gunn said the movie would be focused on an earlier part of Superman's career and that's why they got rid of Cavill but Batman already having Damian makes me think Superman is not that young (year 2 of his career) or that Superman Legacy is set in the past (which could be the case considering Gunn said not all movies are set at the same time).

Gunn might just want an actor younger than Cavill, who would be like 42 when the first movie comes out and therefore unlikely to be able to be part of a 10-year plan.

If not, It would completely screw up all the legacy teams in the DCU like the Titans, Young Justice and Supersons, which doesn't seem like a smart idea.
    Last edited by Leancarp900; 02-01-2023 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Some of the quotes do kind of intimate a heavy dose of nostalgia. References are fine and good but I def hope they don’t lean exclusively on nostalgia, lest it become too hokey. A little bit of hokiness is ok too but shouldn’t be the overriding theme of the thing.

And speaking for myself, I do like the current “… and a Better Tomorrow” tagline.
    I just can’t see Gunn of all people doing an uncritical nostalgia piece for the “good old days” of America.
    It shouldn't be lost though that those Gunn "left the door open for" are characters that don't yet have a rebooted project on the horizon. I think that tune changes once the next batch of films get greenlit, which I assume will be headlined by characters like WW, Flash, GL, though that obviously is a ways away.
    Yeah my guess is Gunn will end up recasting the rest of the League after the movies come out, but he’s not saying that now because he doesn’t want to hurt those films performances by having people say “they don’t matter”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    ...Do we actually know how "young" the new Superman is going to be? I know Gunn said it would be focused on an earlier part of Superman's career but Batman already having Damian makes me think Superman is not that young (year 2 of his career) or that Superman Legacy is set in the past (which could be the case considering Gunn said not all movies are set at the same time).

Gunn might just want an actor younger than Cavill, who would be like 42 when the first movie comes out and therefore unlikely to be able to be part of a 10-year plan.

If not, It would completely screw up all the legacy teams in the DCU like the Titans, Young Justice and Supersons, which doesn't seem like a smart idea.
    Gunn said it would focus on an “earlier” part of Superman’s life:
    Among those on the slate is Superman. In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman’s life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill. But we just had a great meeting with Henry and we’re big fans and we talked about a number of exciting possibilities to work together in the future.”

Though this Superman will be on the younger side, he won’t be living in Smallville but rather will be Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent, according to insiders.
    From THR. Might not be “Year 2”, it could be Year 3-5 I guess, but that pitch makes it seem like it will be a young unmarried Clark. Definitely not old enough to have Jon. Frankly the odds of them ever doing Super Sons as a live action film was slim to none. But the projects don’t all have to take place at the same time, Paradise Lost is obviously going to take place earlier than Legacy despite releasing afterwards, unless Diana is going to be younger than the rest of the JL. Perhaps BatB takes place further on down the line despite releasing earlier.

Honestly I don’t really care about the shared universe and my interest in seeing Jon in the films is slim to none. Don’t want him at this point, I want the focus on Clark and not using him to prop up other characters. If I get three good solo Superman movies I could care less if that comes at the expense of the shared universe.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I just can’t see Gunn of all people doing an uncritical nostalgia piece for the “good old days” of America.
    One of the big reasons I've been cautiously optimistic about him writing (maybe directing) this thing.

I don't expect Gunn to give us the Reagan era establishment man, nor do I expect space jesus. I expect a rebel with a cause ready to punch corruption in the face, not pontificate about "hope."

But I've been let down before, so I remain guarded. Got more faith and trust in Gunn than in most others who could've ended up in his chair, but I'll never trust WB again.

Yeah my guess is Gunn will end up recasting the rest of the League after the movies come out, but he’s not saying that now because he doesn’t want to hurt those films performances by having people say “they don’t matter”.
    Been my assumption as well.

Hey, do we know if Waller and the stuff left over from the DCEU is considered Elseworlds? I imagine it almost has to be.

Gunn said it would focus on an “earlier” part of Superman’s life:

But the projects don’t all have to take place at the same time
    I'm really hoping that's the case, because otherwise the timeline is gonna get real f*cked up real fast. Though I wonder, if this is the case, how are they gonna let audiences know? Will we just have to work it out from context clues, or will each film start with a timestamp of some kind? "Heroic Age: Year Two" or "Crisis Point, minus ten years" or something.

That could be pretty fun honestly. And it strikes me that while such a structure would be bound by the same limits of continuity as any other serialized narrative, including the MCU, this also opens up a lot of creative freedom and stand alone potential. Allowing films to explore entirely different eras of a character's career means that, as long as you don't contradict the larger history, you can function as almost a self-contained story. That's damn close to what I wanted in the first place; stand alone franchises that didn't rely on the monkey's paw we refer to as a shared narrative.

They could spin it the way Waid is spinning World's Finest; his stuff is set in the past but is having an impact on the present day, without either being required reading for the other.

I want the focus on Clark and not using him to prop up other characters. If I get three good solo Superman movies I could care less if that comes at the expense of the shared universe.
    Word. Give me the Superman films we fans deserve and I could care less about anything else at this point.

Well....that and maybe a single, quality Nightwing movie that we can be proud of.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-01-2023 at 04:43 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, I guess now we have the answer to my previous question.

During his slate presentation this week, Gunn tried to clarify the the actor’s exit, saying Cavill was never fired, since he didn’t have an official deal. Gunn went further and assigned blame elsewhere. “I like Henry, I think he’s a great guy,” he said. “I think he’s getting dicked around by a lot of people, including the former regime at this company. But this Superman is not Henry, for a number of reasons.” (Gunn’s Superman is a younger version, said to be around 25.)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ip-1235314656/