Page 8 of 167 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Have you seen his 2019 film Brightburn?

The man co-writes and produces an evil Superman movie for Sony. He makes a Suicide Squad movie that flops at the box office. Gets rewarded by writing the Superman reboot and steering his character going forward.

And people thought Snyder was a terrible choice for Superman.
    I would rather an evil Superman movie with silly villains than another self-important Superman movie that’s desperate to be realistic with a moral Superman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    It’s because the Rock and his agent(who also happened to be Cavil’s agent) pushed for Cavil before the new leadership was chosen. They didn’t think or foresee that the new heads could have their own ideas as to what to do with the character, and to make things sadder Cavil expressed excitement about working with James Gunn as Superman shortly he announced he was returning on instagram. So it definitely makes things quite awkward that now he has to backpedal on that announcement, but that’s the nature of the business.
    I also warned people on Reddit that every single DCEU have flopped after Aquaman

And every DC movie that has ever made money since then have been OUTSIDE of the DCEU continuity

Black Adam flopped despite a cameo that was hyped for two weeks, any other cameo in any other franchise would have at least added 100 million to the final box office right then and there

But it didn’t

Anyone with a brain could see that the DCEU died when the box office returns for black Adam came in

Along with zaslav, whose greatest quality is not caring about the optics of Hollywood was appointed head of the company, HOW ELSE did anyone expect this to go?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I suspect the next Superman movie will be a cross between American Alien and Morrison's New 52 Action Comics. Gunn has been hyping Lobo way too much for him not to be trading fists with Superman ASAP. I know they've been saying Mamoa, but my money is Dave Bautista to take the role.

I would've been down for seeing Gunn's Superman vs Suicide Squad movie. Now Marvel is using that idea for their Thunderbolts movie. Never fail to miss a good opportunity, WB.

Retired

If I were Peter Gunn, I'd have the first movie be called THE LAST SON OF KRYPTON. Half the movie would take place on Krypton. They could cast Cavill and Adams as Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van, but maybe they'll do some diversity casting. Krypto would play a role and be on board the ship that takes Kal-El to Earth. The rest of the movie would take place in Smallville and with Clark as a little boy discovering his powers and training with Krypto. They wouldn't need to cast an adult actor to play Superman in the movie, because the story wouldn't get that far.

If they want to build the franchise, they should take their time establishing the universe and not rush Clark into manhood (let alone marriage).

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Emphatically, yes!

Sadly, yes.

Thinking positive vibes for the former, but keeping the side-eye ready for the latter.

My one hope is that they opt for a good director and solid story/script in lieu of a bloated action extravaganza. But maybe that's a pipe dream nowadays...
    I’m sure Zaslav is going to be tighter with the budgets going forward. I doubt we’ll see another $200 million DC movie after Black Adam flopped.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

BREAKING: Liam Hemsworth will replace Henry Cavill as Superman.

What a mess. Cavill had no luck in the role after MoS.

I guess Gunn will bring Krypto to live action.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    BREAKING: Liam Hemsworth will replace Henry Cavill as Superman.

What a mess. Cavill had no luck in the role after MoS.

I guess Gunn will bring Krypto to live action.
    I see what you did there.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status...D5XZbxyplam8cw
    He's not meeting the major characters for the first time, either. He's merely younger.
    Yeah it’s a The Batman setup.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Pretty much what we've said here for years and years. Early, but skip the origin because we all know it. Give us pieces in dialogue, exposition or newspaper headlines if relevant.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Pretty much what we've said here for years and years. Early, but skip the origin because we all know it. Give us pieces in dialogue, exposition or newspaper headlines if relevant.
    Given he plans to have games and animated shows set in the DCU, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a “proper” origin told through animation (I’m more optimistic than before that we might get a game but it’s still a long shot).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If I were Peter Gunn, I'd have the first movie be called THE LAST SON OF KRYPTON. Half the movie would take place on Krypton. They could cast Cavill and Adams as Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van, but maybe they'll do some diversity casting. Krypto would play a role and be on board the ship that takes Kal-El to Earth. The rest of the movie would take place in Smallville and with Clark as a little boy discovering his powers and training with Krypto. They wouldn't need to cast an adult actor to play Superman in the movie, because the story wouldn't get that far.

If they want to build the franchise, they should take their time establishing the universe and not rush Clark into manhood (let alone marriage).
    Please, lets give Krypton a rest for a while. We don't need to see the planet blow up for the umpteenth time and, NO Kryptonian villains.

The Batman spared us from having to see the Waynes get shot yet again because everyone knows the origin story by now. Make the new Superman flick like that. Start with a younger Kal but one that is already established as Superman.

Like others have said, use American Alien and Morrison's Action Comics as the basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Given he plans to have games and animated shows set in the DCU, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a “proper” origin told through animation (I’m more optimistic than before that we might get a game but it’s still a long shot).
    That'd work. That's what Star Wars did in the prequel era, and while I was miffed at that fact then, this is different as it's not information we haven't gotten in motion picture form plenty of times now so there's literally no downside.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Please, lets give Krypton a rest for a while. We don't need to see the planet blow up for the umpteenth time and, NO Kryptonian villains.

The Batman spared us from having to see the Waynes get shot yet again because everyone knows the origin story by now. Make the new Superman flick like that. Start with a younger Kal but one that is already established as Superman.

Like others have said, use American Alien and Morrison's Action Comics as the basis.
    We got a KRYPTON T.V. show set a couple generations before its destruction, but other than that I think most shows just use the end days and then have a bunch of Kryptonians show up after the whole world is gone so they can retroactively do Krypton stories without a Krypton.

I was thinking they could tell a fuller story on Krypton leading up to Kal-El's birth. In that way they could include a lot of the cosmic science fiction--Green Lanterns, Lobo, Controllers, Psions, Manhunters, Thanagar, Rann, Daxam, etc. And they could better develop the characters of Jor-El, Lara Lor-Van and Krypto and show what the world looked like when it was in full flower--and not all dark and cold. Then let's hope, having got it out of their system, they won't have to have a bunch of Kryptonians show up on Earth invalidating Clark's standing as the Last Son of Krypton.

And in what order this plays out in the movie doesn't need to be linear. BATMAN BEGINS was going forwards and back for a lot of the running time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    We got a KRYPTON T.V. show set a couple generations before its destruction, but other than that I think most shows just use the end days and then have a bunch of Kryptonians show up after the whole world is gone so they can retroactively do Krypton stories without a Krypton.

I was thinking they could tell a fuller story on Krypton leading up to Kal-El's birth. In that way they could include a lot of the cosmic science fiction--Green Lanterns, Lobo, Controllers, Psions, Manhunters, Thanagar, Rann, Daxam, etc. And they could better develop the characters of Jor-El, Lara Lor-Van and Krypto and show what the world looked like when it was in full flower--and not all dark and cold. Then let's hope, having got it out of their system, they won't have to have a bunch of Kryptonians show up on Earth invalidating Clark's standing as the Last Son of Krypton.

And in what order this plays out in the movie doesn't need to be linear. BATMAN BEGINS was going forwards and back for a lot of the running time.
    That’s not a Superman movie dude, that’s a Krypton movie. Frankly it would flop just like the Krypton show did, people aren’t going to care about Superman spin-off characters until you’ve properly established the main guy himself.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s not a Superman movie dude, that’s a Krypton movie. Frankly it would flop just like the Krypton show did, people aren’t going to care about Superman spin-off characters until you’ve properly established the main guy himself.
    Barely any show on post Galactica Syfy stood a chance. They cancelled 90% of their shows after 1-2 seasons. Season 1 was the highest rated Syfy show so that's definitely not a flop.