Page 9 of 167 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Krypton was amazing, a great show with the Brainiac I hoped to see on film.

But we need a Superman movie, not a Legion movie, not a Metropolis or Smallville movie. Superman along with Batman and Spider-Man are the superheroes everyone knows about, so they don't need to tell where he comes from or how he can do what he does.

If Gunn is going with a Year 2 story, he is making, imo, the right choice to just hit the ground running and tell the best story he can. I just hope he doesn't put too much of the wide DCU in the story, and keeps the focus on the Superman mythos, at least for the first movie.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    BREAKING: Liam Hemsworth will replace Henry Cavill as Superman.

What a mess. Cavill had no luck in the role after MoS.

I guess Gunn will bring Krypto to live action.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    I mean... It does feel that way sometimes.

It sucks, but Henry was the face of the DCEU. A clean break was needed. I just really don't know if Gunn is the right one to pen the movie, but I have to hope it works out.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Do you feel, after the latest news regarding actor Henry Cavil, that the DCEU owes us more than one Superman appearance? For example, I think WB owes us live action movies of Val Zod, Cosmic Superman, Quantum Superman, Soviet Superman, Red Superman, Blue Superman, and Superboy Prime. If Sony can develop an Into the Spiderverse cartoon movie, WB could develop a live action Supermenverse movie. Right?

What are your predictions on WB's live action Blue Beetle movie, and if it is successful should it be the start of a newly rebooted DCEU?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanholmes20032003 View Post
    Do you feel, after the latest news regarding actor Henry Cavil, that the DCEU owes us more than one Superman appearance? For example, I think WB owes us live action movies of Val Zod, Cosmic Superman, Quantum Superman, Soviet Superman, Red Superman, Blue Superman, and Superboy Prime. If Sony can develop an Into the Spiderverse cartoon movie, WB could develop a live action Supermenverse movie. Right?
    They could in theory, but they won't, mainly because up until recent regime shifts, the WB was at best apathetic to Superman and at worse, outright hostile. But they love their Batman!!

Jury is still out about the new regime. They talk a good game. But the way they handled the whole Cavill situation makes me wonder if ultimately at the end of the day if once again the character and franchise of Superman gets screwed again.

It's all down to James Gunn now.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Zaslav has said he doesn’t want multiple versions of the same character running around. I fully expect that Gunn’s Superman will be the only one to get more than one movie even if the Abrams/Coates project gets made.
    What are your predictions on WB's live action Blue Beetle movie, and if it is successful should it be the start of a newly rebooted DCEU?
    Not really the thread for that question, you should ask that here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...988-DCU-Movies

That’s the general DC Films thread.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Excited about this. Cavill made a fine Superman in a few, what I consider, bad-to-awful movies. No truly great moments and nothing particularly impressive in his performances. Wish him well and trust Gunn to deliver!

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Zaslav has said he doesn’t want multiple versions of the same character running around. I fully expect that Gunn’s Superman will be the only one to get more than one movie even if the Abrams/Coates project gets made.
    And yet Ta-Nehishi Coates and JJ Abrams' black Clark Kent period piece movie is still a go at WB. This despite Zaslav's mandate and Coates and Abrams missing two script deadlines. One from December 2021 and one from earlier this year in the summer.

They must be really desparate for an Oscar for a Black Superman movie. After Marvel won an Oscar for Black Panther and Sony won an Oscar for the Miles Morales led Into the Spider-Verse movie.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't get the disdain for the movie(coates abrams)... It's not even out.It's being worked on.It could be because of the writer and director?Some people aren't consistent.Doesn't mean hate should be poured at them.People not being interested is one thing.This feeling i get is "this movie shouldn't exist" from here .Then,again i shouldn't be the one to talk about this thing.Generally here you don't get the feeling of "giving people their due or giving artists chance".then they talk about "modern cynicism" and what not affecting superman franchise.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2022 at 08:58 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Please, lets give Krypton a rest for a while. We don't need to see the planet blow up for the umpteenth time and, NO Kryptonian villains.

The Batman spared us from having to see the Waynes get shot yet again because everyone knows the origin story by now. Make the new Superman flick like that. Start with a younger Kal but one that is already established as Superman.

Like others have said, use American Alien and Morrison's Action Comics as the basis.
    Hell, I wouldn't mind if Superman Smashes the Klan also serves as inspiration for this movie. There's stuff in there that allows you to cover a bit of the ''origin'' aspects while still fundamentally being more of a Year 2 story of an established Superman going to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    And yet Ta-Nehishi Coates and JJ Abrams' black Clark Kent period piece movie is still a go at WB. This despite Zaslav's mandate and Coates and Abrams missing two script deadlines. One from December 2021 and one from earlier this year in the summer.

They must be really desparate for an Oscar for a Black Superman movie. After Marvel won an Oscar for Black Panther and Sony won an Oscar for the Miles Morales led Into the Spider-Verse movie.
    I get the feeling that the Coates movie might involve another black Superman, like Val Zod or Calvin Ellis, and not a race-bent Clark Kent. I don't think DC/WB would want a black Clark Kent and a white Clark Kent around on the big-screen at the same time!

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't get the disdain for the movie(coates abrams)... It's not even out.It's being worked on.It could be because of the writer and director?Some people aren't consistent.Doesn't mean hate should be poured at them.People not being interested is one thing.This feeling i get is "this movie shouldn't exist" from here .Then,again i shouldn't be the one to talk about this thing.Generally here you don't get the feeling of "giving people their dew or giving artists chance".then they talk about "modern cynicism" and what not affecting superman franchise.
    Coates is a controversial figure for his inflammatory anti-American and 9/11 comments. His runs 2016 run on Black Panther and 2018 run Captain America during aren't without division among the readership. The critics acclaim them. But that may be moreso to do with Coates' celebrity writer status.

Abrams needs no introduction to controversy. King Copy Cat himself on Star Trek, Star Wars and his own passion projects lift from Spielberg as well. His film Super 8 borrowing heavily from Close Encounters and E.T..

Abrams' penchant for altering existing characters with major or minor details; to secure royalties for the merchandise and marketing deals is well documented.

JJ left Paramount for Disney, because Paramount refused his demands to stop selling Star Trek TOS merchandise and only sell the stuff from his movies. At the time, Abrams Trek was collection dust on the shelves (a pattern we would see repeated for his Star Wars merch). While TOS merch was bringing in $40 million a year for Paramount. $40 million a year isn't close to the billions Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, and Disney's Princess line brings in for their parent companies a year. But it's still too big of a golden egg to lose to push only Abrams merch.

C-3PO has a red arm in The Force Awakens. That makes it different from Lucas's all gold version.

The Millenium Falcon has a square satellite dish in The Force Awakens. Because it makes it different from Lucas' version with a circular dish.

Matt Ryan was disallowed from portraying John Constantine on Legends of Tomorrow after season 6. Because JJ Abrams demanded exclusivity to the character for his own JL Dark project.

Jenna Coleman is playing Johanna Constantine on the Netflix Sandman show for the same reason. Abrams demanded exclusivity to the character. To make money off his exclusive rights, Abrams had planned to racebend the character as black. Abrams didn't want his version being confused for the other versions. It should be noted, the Justice League Dark project was announced in 2019. It's nearly 2023, and we still haven't even gotten a script treatment for that as well.

Abrams signed a $500 million dollar deal with WB in 2019. He was to produce a Superman project, a Justice League Dark project, a reboot of the TV series Duster and a prequel to The Shining and Doctor Sleep called The Overlook. No movement has been made on any of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Hell, I wouldn't mind if Superman Smashes the Klan also serves as inspiration for this movie. There's stuff in there that allows you to cover a bit of the ''origin'' aspects while still fundamentally being more of a Year 2 story of an established Superman going to the next level.

I get the feeling that the Coates movie might involve another black Superman, like Val Zod or Calvin Ellis, and not a race-bent Clark Kent. I don't think DC/WB would want a black Clark Kent and a white Clark Kent around on the big-screen at the same time!
    They've already said their Superman is going to be Clark Kent. A black Clark set in the 30s/40s. So you can expect Lex Luthor to be a LITERAL racist this time around. As well as commentary about how segregation and the White power structure of America was unjust and needs to change.

It's no exaggeration when people say that WB is really jonesing for an Oscar win for this film. If it ever leaves development.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 12-16-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Can all of you who want to discuss/bitch about the Coates project go make your own thread? Not interested in reading you guys hijack this one.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I do hope Gunn can write Supes and the Daily Planet cast as relatively emotionally mature and functioning adults who aren't constantly sniping at each other or doing stupid stuff.

I guess that might be what he has Jimmy for .

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I wouldn't call lois "i jump into danger" lane emotionally mature..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Can all of you who want to discuss/bitch about the Coates project go make your own thread? Not interested in reading you guys hijack this one.
    Didn't mean to hijack..my apologies.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"