Page 20 of 167 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    That would be something else to recast one role to wipe the slate clean, but then bringing in replaced actors in new roles. But then again, my opinion is nobody has a real plan or solid vision on how to move forward so expect something bizarre at this point.
    I actually think there's a plan and Gunn/Safran know what they're doing. I'm not sure that what they're doing is the *right* thing, but I'm confident that they've got a roadmap and have considered the angles. I'm more concerned with whether they're headed in the right direction, not whether they have one.

I'm not seeing people just swinging wildly here. I'm seeing a lot of cut throat business; crushing finished films for tax purposes, dropping actors who, I presume, are still under contract (or just announced their return). I'm seeing a string of mostly failed movies getting ripped out by the roots, but I'm not seeing chaos. I see a field getting burned before new planting.

Whether these guys actually pull it all off and provide quality entertainment is a whole different matter, and even if I'm right and they have a plan now, we've seen people start detailed plans only to end up unemployed the following month after the latest corporate buyout or coup from the board.

Gunn said we'd be hearing more about their plans next month. I'm sure the big picture will start to become clear then, and we'll find out whether they have a vision for the future and have been clearing space for it, or if they're just running around with a flamethrowing and a bottle of whiskey.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What about the Superhero fatigue? This will hit anytime now.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    If superhero fatigue couldn’t make Thor Love and thunder make less than 700 million dollars in the middle of inflation with shitty reviews and objectively bad audience reception, than superhero fatigue is a joke
    Last edited by Dagothoth; 12-24-2022 at 10:15 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    If superhero fatigue couldn’t make Thor Love and thunder make less than 700 million dollars in the middle of inflation with shitty reviews and objectively bad audience reception, than superhero fatigue is a joke
    That 700 mil..how much of it was front loaded?love and thunder came off from ragnarok and infinity war.which had thor having good to great showings.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So basically Man of Tomorrow .
    I wouldn’t object to the film borrowing elements from Man of Tomorrow. But I’d personally switch out Parasite for Atomic Skull or Metallo to prevent it from being a complete copy of that movie.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

They've been saying the bubble is close to bursting for years. So far I haven't seen much that indicates it's actually happening. Most of the negative variables we've seen lately, the low box office, mixed reviews, stuff like that, mostly seem to be the result of the pandemic, a shaky economy, and in Marvel's case unrealistically high expectations post-Endgame.

We may be past the point where superheroes are a passing trend. I think they've cemented themselves as an entertainment staple, and like rom-coms and sci-fi, will never fully phase out. I'm sure we'll see times with fewer superhero offerings, or more, but I don't know if we're ever going to go back to the days where these films were a "once every few years and it's only the big names" situation again.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I thought it was happening early in Marvel Phase 4, but it turned out no. Now I think the quality has drastically dropped, but that's not the same thing as a drop in revenue and overall popularity.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    They've been saying the bubble is close to bursting for years. So far I haven't seen much that indicates it's actually happening. Most of the negative variables we've seen lately, the low box office, mixed reviews, stuff like that, mostly seem to be the result of the pandemic, a shaky economy, and in Marvel's case unrealistically high expectations post-Endgame.

We may be past the point where superheroes are a passing trend. I think they've cemented themselves as an entertainment staple, and like rom-coms and sci-fi, will never fully phase out. I'm sure we'll see times with fewer superhero offerings, or more, but I don't know if we're ever going to go back to the days where these films were a "once every few years and it's only the big names" situation again.
    Fair but idk if we will see Endgame levels of box office again.

Just needs to feel different. I think we're finally seeing MCU fatigue but a movie that contrasts itself well from it can still be a big hit. BP2 not making a billion def makes me think only 'hype beast' movies will really blow up at the cinemas now so I really hope Zaslav isn't expecting a billion from Superman. Having close to 'The Batman' box office would be a good result IMO
    Last edited by The Kid; 12-26-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Fair but idk if we will see Endgame levels of box office again.
    Not anytime soon at least, no. Economic troubles, covid....people just aren't going to the theaters like they were in 2019 and we probably won't get back to that level for a while....if at all. Not to mention streaming; a lot of folks will skip the cinema if they know they'll be able to stream it after a short wait. The entire entertainment industry has changed since Endgame, and our expectations need to change with it.

But that billion dollar mark was never the "normal" anyway. We did have several films hit that level within a short period of time, yes, but what were those films? Marvel's first black and female leads, the finale of the Infinity Saga, and Jason Mamoa shirtless, wet, and playing pop culture joke Aquaman. These were milestone moments. But making a billion was never the base metric for success some folks thought it was.

We'll still see films make that much money. Didn't Top Gun and the last Spidey do it? It'll happen. It's just not going to be common and never was anyway.

Gunn's Superman almost certainly isn't gonna break a billion. The DC brand is an albatross around the neck of any film it makes, it's brand recognition is so tainted. It's gonna take years, and a unbroken string of successful, quality films, before DC can repair it's reputation and start making MCU money. Anyone who's expecting Supes to make a billion right now is asking for disappointment. But it can still be a good film, it can still be successful, and that's what we need right now. Not a massive, unparalleled smash hit, but a quality, re-watchable film that people genuinely enjoy, that can generate some goodwill and trust for DC.

As for MCU fatigue. Maybe we're seeing it. I think we are, to a small degree. But a lot of complaints, a lot of the numbers, that stuff can be traced back to two things; unrealistic expectations post-Endgame, and content trying to appeal to new audiences/demographics. Was She-Hulk actually bad, or was it just made for a different group than the straight white male nerd the MCU usually tried to appeal to? Did anyone truly expect a new, unknown character like Shang-Chi to make the kind of money phase 3 movies did, with their known assets and years of narrative buildup?
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-27-2022 at 10:08 AM.

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Well, shirtless Momoa as Lobo can be the main draw of Gunn's Superman movie and make it hits 1B, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not anytime soon at least, no. Economic troubles, covid....people just aren't going to the theaters like they were in 2019 and we probably won't get back to that level for a while....if at all. Not to mention streaming; a lot of folks will skip the cinema if they know they'll be able to stream it after a short wait. The entire entertainment industry has changed since Endgame, and our expectations need to change with it.

But that billion dollar mark was never the "normal" anyway. We did have several films hit that level within a short period of time, yes, but what were those films? Marvel's first black and female leads, the finale of the Infinity Saga, and Jason Mamoa shirtless, wet, and playing pop culture joke Aquaman. These were milestone moments. But making a billion was never the base metric for success some folks thought it was.

We'll still see films make that much money. Didn't Top Gun and the last Spidey do it? It'll happen. It's just not going to be common and never was anyway.

Gunn's Superman almost certainly isn't gonna break a billion. The DC brand is an albatross around the neck of any film it makes, it's brand recognition is so tainted. It's gonna take years, and a unbroken string of successful, quality films, before DC can repair it's reputation and start making MCU money. Anyone who's expecting Supes to make a billion right now is asking for disappointment. But it can still be a good film, it can still be successful, and that's what we need right now. Not a massive, unparalleled smash hit, but a quality, re-watchable film that people genuinely enjoy, that can generate some goodwill and trust for DC.

As for MCU fatigue. Maybe we're seeing it. I think we are, to a small degree. But a lot of complaints, a lot of the numbers, that stuff can be traced back to two things; unrealistic expectations post-Endgame, and content trying to appeal to new audiences/demographics. Was She-Hulk actually bad, or was it just made for a different group than the straight white male nerd the MCU usually tried to appeal to? Did anyone truly expect a new, unknown character like Shang-Chi to make the kind of money phase 3 movies did, with their known assets and years of narrative buildup?
    Fair enough!

I'm.surprised so many are OK with Gunn writing superman,the guy is known for comedies and raunchy comedies,what makes any of you think he can pull it off,besides .......HOPE
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I'm.surprised so many are OK with Gunn writing superman,the guy is known for comedies and raunchy comedies,what makes any of you think he can pull it off,besides .......HOPE
    The previous incarnation has set the bar in hell, long as Gunn doesn’t have him kill his opponent in the first movie, die in the second, come back with a weird CGI face in the third, and have Supes big character arc resolve by turning to evil until time travel undoes that and end up raising his wife’s son, I don’t see how he can be worse than what we were already dealing with. Those of us who really dislike Snyder’s take are just happy to get a clean slate, and since this is presumably the project Gunn needs to pull off in order to show Zaslav he has what it takes, I expect him to bring his A game. If he’s not directing it then whoever will be might make adjustments to the script too if they think it’s not suitable for Supes.

Really we’re just hoping for the best here. And there are alternatives if it doesn’t work out at least.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The previous incarnation has set the bar in hell, long as Gunn doesn’t have him kill his opponent in the first movie, die in the second, come back with a weird CGI face in the third, and have Supes big character arc resolve by turning to evil until time travel undoes that and end up raising his wife’s son, I don’t see how he can be worse than what we were already dealing with. Those of us who really dislike Snyder’s take are just happy to get a clean slate, and since this is presumably the project Gunn needs to pull off in order to show Zaslav he has what it takes, I expect him to bring his A game. If he’s not directing it then whoever will be might make adjustments to the script too if they think it’s not suitable for Supes.

Really we’re just hoping for the best here. And there are alternatives if it doesn’t work out at least.

So it's HOPE lol.

Superman is easy,movie and comic ppl are not the right ppl for the job,it isn't him ,it's them,he deserves better
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.