Page 18 of 167 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Gulp. This is real conflict territory.
    I’m hoping he just means he’s going to copy the lineup for the JL and take inspiration from DCAU Metropolis design wise. He has at least read the actual comics source material and is a fan of more obscure characters, I hope that means he won’t just be recreating what the animated shows did with regards to Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Supposedly the WBD board is concerned about a backlash happening with the new Superman actor. Then today Fisher calls out Gunn on workplace treatment issues. And Gunn deletes a tweet related to that situation. Gunn doing Superman, a new actor - it's going to be very hard to find a talented young actor willing to take on the role. The odds are increasing that WBD passes on Superman. That doesn't even take into account that they can only put a limited amount of money into making the film given their financial situation. Especially as they are likely to be taken over in 2024 by Comcast. Though nothing can move formally until spring of 2024 it's likely under the table discussions are already taking place. It may have prompted Zaslav's firing of most of the high-priced JL actors. Zaslav seems to be positioning WBD for a takeover.
    Neither Zaslav nor Gunn care about the opinion of others

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Supposedly the WBD board is concerned about a backlash happening with the new Superman actor. Then today Fisher calls out Gunn on workplace treatment issues. And Gunn deletes a tweet related to that situation. Gunn doing Superman, a new actor - it's going to be very hard to find a talented young actor willing to take on the role. The odds are increasing that WBD passes on Superman. That doesn't even take into account that they can only put a limited amount of money into making the film given their financial situation. Especially as they are likely to be taken over in 2024 by Comcast. Though nothing can move formally until spring of 2024 it's likely under the table discussions are already taking place. It may have prompted Zaslav's firing of most of the high-priced JL actors. Zaslav seems to be positioning WBD for a takeover.
    That is straight up false. This isnt the first recasting that's ever happened and if they were afraid of backlash then no DC movie would be made due to all the backlash Snydercult dishes out on the daily. Superman is a good 2-3 years away from coming to theaters, as with most things, fans will move on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Just no Kryptonian Villains and keep Lex to a minimum. I love the Phantom Zone Villains and Lex but seriously can we get Brainiac or even Metallo Christ on a Cracker Terminator came out in 1984 it's ridiculous Metallo has never been on the big screen.
    I do think the likes the Metallo and Parasite cannot carry a movie on their own and should be working for Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I do think the likes the Metallo and Parasite cannot carry a movie on their own and should be working for Lex.
    I think they could with the right narrative weight/execution.

Spectacular Member

Disagree

They just need work and actual storytelling investment, vordan showed that it was possible

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    Zod and Luthor are basically DOA in terms of ever getting a major role in a Superman adaptation in live action
    Agreed - for now. If we barely see Lex for two/three movies then learn he had a role in the background, I don't think anyone will care. But yeah, Zod and Lex cannot be front and center for two movies, maybe three.

Given that the next Superman film will make or break the franchise I'm thinking it may be best right now for WB not to move forward with the film. There is animosity towards the Snyder films by one side and that unfortunately focuses mostly on Superman - not Batman or Wonder Woman. DC Studios needs several successful and critically well received films to build goodwill and get the GA to give another Superman film a try. At this point the GA simply does not care and without a "goodwill boost" a Superman film has a good chance of underperforming.

The other factor is some Snyder and Cavill fans. Some recent podcasts are crazy. The anger and disdain for all things DC and Gunn in particular. Syl Abdul went over the twitter war between Gunn and fans and tried to tell his listeners to be respectful and not personally attack Gunn as some are doing. Abdul got blowback for trying to calm the waters. Many are threatening not to see the 4 DC films coming out in 2023 or to see a Superman film by Gunn. Even if this is a small segment of fans a Superman film can't afford the negative publicity which the more "fundamentalist" Snyder fans will possibly mount against the film. The new actor, mark my words, will be trashed by the fundamentalist camp.

It' a perfect storm that could wreck the chances for the film to do well and that is too much of a risk to take. IMO.
    Maybe - but all this is fresh right now. Give it a year, and a lot of this will settle. Well, not Snyder fans, but everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Snyder fanboys threw temper tantrums when Pattinson replaced Affleck and it didn’t mean anything. General audience wrote off Cavill a while ago and Gunn’s movie won’t be ready for release until 2025. That’s plenty of waiting time, the general public just wants a good Superman movie. Hell we already how Hoechlin as another live action Superman, it’s not like we’re going straight from Cavill to whoever is next anyway.
    This.

To me the dynamic between Clark, Lois and Lex works best when they are close in age. Maybe Lex is attracted to Lois (or go woke and Lex and Lois are both attracted to Clark) That kind of dynamic adds a nice element to the mix as the relationship of the three to each other is important in the lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Lex should be the same age as Clark but he also needs to be benched for now. Again, we need other Superman villains to shine.
    If they look around the same age and the dynamic is there, no one is going to care. Actors can play younger and older than they are (at least to a point, some even 20 years.. more with makeup), so I don't get the issue. And agreed that Lex needs to take a back seat for a while. Doesn't mean he can't do anything, but he can't be seen as a major player with a ton of screen time just yet. Save what he's up to for an "end of movie 2 or even 3" surprise.

If this is still firey in 6 months, I'll be surprised. By some corners of the internet, sure, but most will die down as things move forward. My best guess is that it's too early to say; if you'd told me that Starro would be seen in a live action movie before Brainiac, I'd never have believed it, but here we are. lol
    Last edited by JAK; 12-21-2022 at 01:57 AM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Nah, they can work either way. Heck, they could make Metallo a government project if they wanted to. Not that I like that idea, but I could see it working.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Isn't Phillip Kennedy Johnson doing something with Metallo? Holy synergy, Nightwing!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m hoping he just means he’s going to copy the lineup for the JL and take inspiration from DCAU Metropolis design wise. He has at least read the actual comics source material and is a fan of more obscure characters, I hope that means he won’t just be recreating what the animated shows did with regards to Superman.
    Coincidentally, I was having a virtual discussion about what some creative teams have done with the comic book follow-ups to the DCAU. I think the DCAU is mostly fantastic, but left in the hands of other creators the universe becomes such a mess. So, at this moment the words "copy the DCAU" just makes me shudder.

I agree. However I also like to be wrong in this aspect. I would like them to be the main villains in a movie and not have Lex move the plot foward.

Extraordinary Member

I really want to see Lex used as a supporting character and background antagonist, like in the DCAU, but partially for the fun of having a procedural investigative reporting element to the story where Lex could be anything from the mastermind behind it, a conspirator exasperated by the idiots screwing up a "simple" plan and extricating himself from the mess, a seeming pawn of a greater enemy looking to promote himself, a target of the villain for various reasons, or simply a sketchy "not me... this time" red herring.

Like...

- With Metallo as the main threat, he's one of the conspirators to create him, but turns on his idiot compatriots and tricks Metallo into killing them before his hand can be revealed. Luthor then washes his hands of the mess, satisfied if Metallo kills Superman, annoyed but accepting if he doesn't.

- With Parasite, Lex had Rudy Jones fired for incompetence in a justified decision for once... but that means the Parasite targets him for revenge, but once he gets a taste of Lex' intelligence and misanthropy, Lex is now Parasite's Value Meal Order #2, and Lex has to defend himself with a bunch of his anti-Superman contingencies.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Especially as they are likely to be taken over in 2024 by Comcast. Though nothing can move formally until spring of 2024 it's likely under the table discussions are already taking place. . . Zaslav seems to be positioning WBD for a takeover.
    Yea, I had mentioned this from an article in the TV/Film forum, see below. Though I think it's not something that could happen quickly, as has been mentioned, or without regulatory resistance.

"NBCUniversal [i.e. Comcast] is said to be eyeing a purchase of Warner Bros. Discovery, so whatever strategic changes Gunn and Safran make could be jettisoned soon enough anyway. Zaslav denied that WB is for sale during a town hall, but the industry source insisted “[Warner Bros. Discovery is] a cash-poor company being stripped to be sold.”
    source: https://nypost.com/2022/12/15/dc-stu...-henry-cavill/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-21-2022 at 07:50 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, I had mentioned this from an article in the TV/Film forum, see below. Though I think it's not something that could happen quickly, as has been mentioned, or without regulatory resistance.

source: https://nypost.com/2022/12/15/dc-stu...-henry-cavill/
    If NBCUniversal buys WB, maybe we'll finally get a Bluray/4k release of Elvis's 1957 movie "Loving You". That's been driving me nuts for years!

Sorry, back to the topic, lol
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Isn't Phillip Kennedy Johnson doing something with Metallo? Holy synergy, Nightwing!
    Speaking of:

If nothing else I hope we get a bunch of Superman omnibuses and absolutes for stories that should have been collected by now but haven’t, runs like Busiek and Johns Pre-Flashpoint work, maybe a new collection of Superman: Strength, Secret Identity and Birthright in Absolute form, etc.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/