Page 161 of 167 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 2502
    Incredible Member

All I got from this is "Big Emotional Moment", to be honest. And maybe "Big Beautiful Outdoors". You get Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age as represented by Moore, Post-Crisis as represented by For All Seasons, New 52, post-Rebirth era as represented by PKJ. The two most popular animated versions of Superman. Something for everyone. Good taste, but other than PKJ's run, about as "standard selection of beloved Superman works" as it gets. Also I really don't like Kingdom Come so I'm not happy to see it here.

No Byrne, no Triangle Era, no Maggin, no Tomasi/Gleason, no Live Action work other than Donner, in case anyone was wondering what the "major omissions" are.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Golden Age/Fleischer/NuSuperman for Clark's attitude.��

Yeah, Superman 2025 and The Authority film can both set up a Warworld Saga adaption for a sequel.
    Praying it happens. Also I’d love some New 52 influence for where Clark and Jimmy are concerned, Morrison had a great take on their friendship which MAWS took and ran with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    All I got from this is "Big Emotional Moment", to be honest. And maybe "Big Beautiful Outdoors". You get Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age as represented by Moore, Post-Crisis as represented by For All Seasons, New 52, post-Rebirth era as represented by PKJ. The two most popular animated versions of Superman. Something for everyone. Good taste, but other than PKJ's run, about as "standard selection of beloved Superman works" as it gets. Also I really don't like Kingdom Come so I'm not happy to see it here.
    Gunn’s taking bits and pieces from every era as he’s said, but putting his own spin on them like how he’s not doing a 1-to-1 recreation of the KC shield. I do think we might get a scene where Superman comforts a suicidal person, that feels like the kind of character beat I could see Gunn lifting panel for panel from All-Star.

I do disagree about standard selection though, if you are as obsessive about the BTS process for Superman adaptions as I am enough to follow them, it’s always the Byrne/Triangle Era they cite. Golden, Bronze, New 52, and IF/Dawn of DC have yet to be adapted. The DCEU, S&L, and MAWS all cite that era as an influence. We didn’t get anything from Morrison’s Action Comics (Snyder actually playfully talked smack about New 52 Supes ironically enough) in any recent adaptions, the only New 52 elements which tend to show up are Lee’s suit design and the WW romance (which predates New 52 obviously). I guess the animated Super Pets movie was Silver Age-y.
    No Byrne, no Triangle Era, no Maggin, no Tomasi/Gleason, no Live Action work other than Donner, in case anyone was wondering what the "major omissions" are.
    Byrne and Triangle Era he’s also cited as influence and I expect that influence will be strongest in the Daily Planet scenes since that era fleshed out a lot of side characters. Without Jon there’s nothing to pull from for Rebirth, he was the one standout element of that time period.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/p...pI5-UlaZpAar3A
    When I was in second grade, my parents bought me the 'Superman: From The 30's to the 70's'. Was this your first?

It wasn’t my first but it’s when I really started to love Superman.
    2562A4AC-8B66-473B-A02C-08BCCB019FE0.jpg
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Not joking, this was the first Superman book I owned (and still do!). There's a Batman one, too, that I have.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No Gunn at SDCC this year:

Technically, he doesn't say that he won't be there. He might just be REALLY sick of people dooming his DC vision before anything even releases.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Technically, he doesn't say that he won't be there. He might just be REALLY sick of people dooming his DC vision before anything even releases.
    He might make a video to show, something like the Chapter 1 reveal, but I think his post is meant to be read as “I will be too busy shooting Superman to show up at SDCC”

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Peacemaker S2 will be impacted by the events of Superman (2025); Superman: Legacy was originally separated from the shared universe like The Batman:

Fantastic Member

I just read a tweet by Gunn saying that he was offered both Superman and Suicide Squad at one point and he chose Suicide Squad because he was way more interested in that.

Now he has changed the narrative completely and started saying he didn't pick Superman earlier because he wasn't happy with his pitch. And now suddenly he is happy with the new pitch and we are expected to believe he was big Superman fan all along?

I know Gunn is famous for lying on social media but at least he should keep the story straight.

Also, I am loving the fact that people are saying Gunn will dispel the Evil Superman trope from last decade when Gunn's own idea for his Suicide Squad movie was to have a brainwashed Superman be the final "villain" of the movie so the Suicide Squad can beat him up. Dude loves Evil Superman, he even produced Brightburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    I just read a tweet by Gunn saying that he was offered both Superman and Suicide Squad at one point and he chose Suicide Squad because he was way more interested in that.

Now he has changed the narrative completely and started saying he didn't pick Superman earlier because he wasn't happy with his pitch. And now suddenly he is happy with the new pitch and we are expected to believe he was big Superman fan all along?

I know Gunn is famous for lying on social media but at least he should keep the story straight.

Also, I am loving the fact that people are saying Gunn will dispel the Evil Superman trope from last decade when Gunn's own idea for his Suicide Squad movie was to have a brainwashed Superman be the final "villain" of the movie so the Suicide Squad can beat him up. Dude loves Evil Superman, he even produced Brightburn.
    I thought Gunn had said earlier he didn't quite have a grasp on Superman until he found an "in" with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Gunn had said earlier he didn't quite have a grasp on Superman until he found an "in" with the character.
    He has definitely said this. Repeatedly.

hopefully he can have fun with the character without lapsing into being overly ponderous or settling for self-satire.

Fantastic Member

It does seem mighty convenient that Gunn suddenly found an "in" with the character as soon as he became in charge of DC.

I feel taking up DC's most squandered IP i.e. Superman was part of the deal for Gunn to get a shot at the position with DC. Like he took up the Superman film and that gave him enough leverage to get the coveted job.

For someone who is fundamentally more interested in evil Superman, I don't think Gunn has understood Superman beyond just taking things from the 178 movie.

Swiss army nerd

I think there's a difference though between not liking a character and not having your take on them as a writer. I always felt that Gunn's thing was that he wouldn't take on the job if he didn't have "his" Superman in his mind.

He's definitely always been more drawn to screw up characters, but the entire arc of the GOTG was "edge lord screw ups learn to have a heart and what its to have family", so I'm relatively confident Gunn isn't just going to lampoon Clark's earnestness or anything.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I think there's a difference though between not liking a character and not having your take on them as a writer. I always felt that Gunn's thing was that he wouldn't take on the job if he didn't have "his" Superman in his mind.

He's definitely always been more drawn to screw up characters, but the entire arc of the GOTG was "edge lord screw ups learn to have a heart and what its to have family", so I'm relatively confident Gunn isn't just going to lampoon Clark's earnestness or anything.
    Yeah I would say by the point of the third Guardians movie, it had become very sincere.

Quill, Nebula, and Rocket all received a lot of character development that leaves them at the point of bonafede heroes while still keeping the humor and levity present. I would say the whole thing felt very earnest while not mocking the sincerity of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    It does seem mighty convenient that Gunn suddenly found an "in" with the character as soon as he became in charge of DC.

I feel taking up DC's most squandered IP i.e. Superman was part of the deal for Gunn to get a shot at the position with DC. Like he took up the Superman film and that gave him enough leverage to get the coveted job.

For someone who is fundamentally more interested in evil Superman, I don't think Gunn has understood Superman beyond just taking things from the 178 movie.
    Maybe it was by necessity, but if he's found something about the character that appeals to him, all power to him .

He's cited numerous Superman comics as inspiration.