Page 102 of 167 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2504
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    SL will not, from what I sense, be Superman-centric. Lois might actually be the main protagonist. Brosnahan is getting equal co-starring status with Coronswet.
    Yes, it does seem like Lois will be co-lead, if not the actual lead. Gunn has repeatedly asserted that it is "Superman and Lois" movie, which honestly disappoints me. We haven't had a good Superman movie in 45 years and now he has to play second fiddle?

Krypto is in the film so presumably Supergirl is on Earth too.
    I think the Krypto thing was a joke. Someone suggested it online and Gunn went along with it.

BTW, it's not looking like you will get that "something bigger with Superman" in SL. However, per the descriptions of Supergirl's film it will be a universe spanning epic so you might get it there.
    This seems like a bad idea. Superman is one of their big guns, he should be the one getting the big movies. Gunn would be insane if he is pinning his hopes on Supergirl of all characters to deliver the big movie.

Lois is obviously going to be the female lead, I don't think that means she's going to take over the narrative or movie from Clark any more than Harcourt took over Peacemaker.

The way Gunn keeps bringing up Krypto and that we're getting a WoT adaption tells me Krypto probably will show up at some point.

It will be the exact same set up as every other Superman movie where Lois is the secondary protagonist. If you need a non-Superman example, Catwoman was basically the co-lead of The Batman but that doesn’t mean it was secretly a Catwoman movie.

And if you know anything about Gunn you know he’s not joking about Krypto. He loves animals/pets, Krypto is definitely going to get a scene with Supes at the Fortress.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

At least Lois is part of the Superman mythology. Wtf is Guy Gardner doing here?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Worldbuilding. And Guy will be likely featured in Lanterns coming out the same year.

Popular characters like Superman will be used to prop up less known ones like Guy Gardner or Metamorpho:

“One of our strategies is to take our diamond characters — which is Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman — and we use them to prop up other characters that people don’t know,” explained Gunn.

Added Safran, “To build those lesser known properties into the diamond properties of tomorrow.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...an-1235314176/
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 11-06-2023 at 09:07 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And if you know anything about Gunn you know he’s not joking about Krypto. He loves animals/pets, Krypto is definitely going to get a scene with Supes at the Fortress.
    That worries me. Superman already has a bad reputation among the general public that he is cheesy and obsolete. If we are getting superpowered alien dogs (or monkeys/cats/horses) in the movie, it will just end up making the character look like a bad parody.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Singing about his ass?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    That worries me. Superman already has a bad reputation among the general public that he is cheesy and obsolete. If we are getting superpowered alien dogs (or monkeys/cats/horses) in the movie, it will just end up making the character look like a bad parody.
    In a world where people accept a talking raccoon with guns, I think people are going to be okay with Krypto.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In a world where people accept a talking raccoon with guns, I think people are going to be okay with Krypto.
    But Guardians of the Galaxy are supposed to be comedy films. We didn't see animal sidekicks in Iron Man or Thor movies. And those two don't even have the stigma of "cheesiness" attached that Superman has.

But Guardians of the Galaxy are supposed to be comedy films. We didn't see animal sidekicks in Iron Man or Thor movies. And those two don't even have the stigma of "cheesiness" attached that Superman has.
    I don't think it's the comedy that sold people on it, it was the actual character and writing, especially when they gave Rocket some genuine emotional and poignant moments.

We are just coming off of a failed take on Superman that ran as far away from his Mythos as possible and the solution is definitely not running in the same direction. A Superman movie where he has no Fortress full of cool stuff again is going to fail, whereas we have zero evidence that one with Krypto in it would somehow keep people away. Another stoic bore of a Superman who does crucifixion shots and mopes about how the world has moved on without him/maybe being Superman isn’t worth it is more assured to fail than one with Krypto in it. We have never gotten a Superman movie with Krypto and that hasn’t helped him at the box office, we’ve tried making him as gritty, realistic, and dark as possible and it hasn’t made him any more popular. It’s time to embrace the “cheese” and make it cool instead of acting ashamed of Superman. A flying dog is cool. A Fortress full of trophies is cool. A Superman with confidence and a sense of humor is cool.

If you disagree that’s fine but then Gunn isn’t going to be for you and the movie wouldn’t be for you either.

Edit: Also Thor does have pets, he has his goats! Iron Man is not the same character as Superman and what works for him isn’t going to work for Clark (Clark is not a billionaire playboy who can have scenes of him boozing it up with beautiful women in penthouses as a shortcut to being cool the way Tony can).
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-06-2023 at 12:08 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it's the comedy that sold people on it, it was the actual character and writing, especially when they gave Rocket some genuine emotional and poignant moments.
    But the entire selling point of the movie was it wacky and lighthearted so people accepted things like a talking racoon and a walking tree.

Superman can't be advertised as a wacky comedy.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    whereas we have zero evidence that one with Krypto in it would somehow keep people away.
    We don't need evidence, its just a reasonable guess based on the current trends. Public demands a certain level of believability and a superpowered alien dog really stretches that.

I mean we did get a sort of "cheesy" Superman in the cartoon My Adventures with Superman but even that did not get good viewership.

If you disagree that’s fine but then Gunn isn’t going to be for you and the movie wouldn’t be for you either.
    I do not deny that. I am not a massive fan of Gunn but I am curious to see how he goes about it. He is bound to be an improvement over Zach Snyder but the question is by how much.

Also Thor does have pets, he has his goats!
    But weren't Thor's goats one of the most criticized parts of Love and Thunder?

We don't need evidence, it’s just a reasonable guess based on the current trends.
    Yes you do need evidence. We live in a world where the most popular movie of all time is about a purple man collecting magic stones so he can kill half of all living things, and he’s opposed in this goal by a talking raccoon and a tree that walks. The general public has never had any problem accepting fantastical elements in superhero movies. Aquaman made a billion and that was the most fantastical movie in the DCEU, with an octopus that played the banjos.

What trends are those? Because the most popular recent superhero movie was GOTG 3. The gritty and realistic Superman take with Cavill flopped.
    Public demands a certain level of believability and a superpowered alien dog really stretches that.
    Why would this be a dealbreaker but a super powered alien who just happens to look like a human *not* be a deal breaker?
    I mean we did get a sort of "cheesy" Superman in the cartoon My Adventures with Superman but even that did not get good viewership.
    It aired at a bad time and yet it still performed well per WBD themselves. There’s not a single gritty and realistic Superman product you can point to that shows that approach will lead to success for Superman. Returns flopped, MoS flopped. Both didn’t have Krypto. Might as well give him a try this time.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Please, any stigma superman has? Having a dog isn't one of em... It's actually one of the things people get
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"