Page 52 of 167 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

Ok now you can start to panic (or celebrate lol). Byrne + some of the comments Gunn made that have already been picked over + this being about Clark wrestling with his heritage could go south real fast. If this is dumb naive government stooge Superman who doesn’t care about Krypton at all and is desperate to prove that he’s 100% American Gunn’s DCU is likely going to fare no better than Snyder’s did.
    Why would you scare me like that?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

It would seem he’s perpetually stuck in the name/title dropping phase at this point.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

So how should the trilogy villains be? For first movie who? You guys think he will actually use someone other than Lex or Zod? Is he going to use Brainiac right from the start?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

While I certainly have issues with Byrne's Superman, it is where the modern conception of Lois Lane was largely shaped, outside of Margot Kidder.

There's a lot of solid stuff there, amidst all the 80s Reganite yuppie nonsense done to Clark himself

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    In all honesty it’s not *really* very surprising.

We’re going to be nervous up until he finally starts sharing details
    Only surprising thing is if he's only started reading that run now. Byrne makes a number of recommendation lists, it was the foundation for post-Crisis, and there *is* a lot of great stuff in the run, outside of Clark himself. I don't have much love for that run, but I do appreciate how it set the stage for the triangle era, which is one of the strongest times in Clark's history even if Clark himself was built wrong in it.

And brother, I'm gonna be nervous about the film until I see it with my own eyes. Well, I suppose if Gunn said he was adapting Morrison's Action, I'd stop being nervous then too. A little. But WB has burned me enough in the past that nothing about this movie is gonna make me *not* nervous until I see for myself that it's the Super movie we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    How would you guys do a Superman trilogy?
    Hard mode:
    No Lex or Zod
    Have someone else be the love interest at least for the first movie.
    I'd handle it by not worrying about a trilogy. Let's make one movie that's successful before worrying about more. Given DC's track record a sequel is far from guaranteed, a trilogy even less so.

I dunno what I'd do with the villains. Brainiac is the obvious choice; we want him, he's the last Big Bad we haven't seen on film, there's great stories to pull from. But he's also another alien invader and we've seen that in every Super appearance for ten years. I'd rather get back to human villains and real problems Clark wants to (and can) actually fix. So to that end, I'd really love to use Ultra-Humanite. And I think the visual of Superman fighting an armored, albino ape in the trailer could be a lot of fun and help sell this movie....but nobody knows who Ultra is, while a villain like Brainiac is a big deal and would probably generate a lot more hype.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

I see Gunn is still namechecking the Superman Greatest Hits/Starter Pack, lol.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    While I certainly have issues with Byrne's Superman, it is where the modern conception of Lois Lane was largely shaped, outside of Margot Kidder.

There's a lot of solid stuff there, amidst all the 80s Reganite yuppie nonsense done to Clark himself
    Wouldn't mind seeing this lady...

splash.jpg
    15e04d16d41bcbfc538ce541d4216340.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing this lady...

15e04d16d41bcbfc538ce541d4216340.jpg
    Always thought this scene was funny. Superman played high school football but had no idea what an athletic guy could lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Only surprising thing is if he's only started reading that run now. Byrne makes a number of recommendation lists, it was the foundation for post-Crisis, and there *is* a lot of great stuff in the run, outside of Clark himself. I don't have much love for that run, but I do appreciate how it set the stage for the triangle era, which is one of the strongest times in Clark's history even if Clark himself was built wrong in it.

And brother, I'm gonna be nervous about the film until I see it with my own eyes. Well, I suppose if Gunn said he was adapting Morrison's Action, I'd stop being nervous then too. A little. But WB has burned me enough in the past that nothing about this movie is gonna make me *not* nervous until I see for myself that it's the Super movie we deserve.

I'd handle it by not worrying about a trilogy. Let's make one movie that's successful before worrying about more. Given DC's track record a sequel is far from guaranteed, a trilogy even less so.

I dunno what I'd do with the villains. Brainiac is the obvious choice; we want him, he's the last Big Bad we haven't seen on film, there's great stories to pull from. But he's also another alien invader and we've seen that in every Super appearance for ten years. I'd rather get back to human villains and real problems Clark wants to (and can) actually fix. So to that end, I'd really love to use Ultra-Humanite. And I think the visual of Superman fighting an armored, albino ape in the trailer could be a lot of fun and help sell this movie....but nobody knows who Ultra is, while a villain like Brainiac is a big deal and would probably generate a lot more hype.
    I agree with you on Brainiac. Idk if to use hun on the first or last movie. But I think some people here said go all in. If they adapt Superman and the Men Of Steel we will get Brainiac.

Yeah I'm one of the "all in" guys. Not much point in holding back if a sequel isn't a guaranteed thing, and since no franchise has gotten a full trilogy in the ten years of the DCEU, a sequel is not certain at all.

I'm just not sure if another alien invader is the right direction to go in after BvS, MoS, JL, Peacemaker, etc. Brainiac's the right villain for "all in" but maybe not the right direction "in" should go, if that makes sense?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Well, Gunn directing was expected.

Was about to share this since I’m watching the interview now lol. Well we all pretty much expected that so no surprise there, this is the first big movie for Gunn’s DCU, he was never going to trust it to anyone besides himself.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Video is private lol. I can’t see.

Another claim that a casting call is going around for Superman and Lois, asking for actors in the 20-30 age range. Filming is apparently set to start in early 2024.

Take with a heap of salt because this feels like Grace just desperately trying to cash in on King accidentally leaking that Gunn will direct.

Edit: Annnnnd debunked by Gunn himself

Last time I post a Grace rumor I promise.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-11-2023 at 11:26 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/