Page 57 of 171 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

“I think there is such a thing as superhero fatigue,” Gunn says. “I think it doesn’t have anything to do with superheroes. It has to do with the kind of stories that get to be told, and if you lose your eye on the ball, which is character. We love Superman. We love Batman. We love Iron Man. Because they’re these incredible characters that we have in our hearts. And if it becomes just a bunch of nonsense onscreen, it gets really boring. But I get fatigued by most spectacle films, by the grind of not having an emotionally grounded story. It doesn’t have anything to do with whether they’re superhero movies or not. If you don’t have a story at the base of it, just watching things bash each other, no matter how clever those bashing moments are, no matter how clever the designs and the VFX are, it just gets fatiguing, and I think that’s very, very real.”
    Gunn, meanwhile, will take the lessons of Guardians into his new universe, though perhaps not specifically to his Superman movie. “I learned so much from making these movies,” he says. “But it’s not like Superman is going to have exactly the same vibe as a Guardians movie. It’s actually quite different.” That said, does his success with Rocket make him more interested in possibly taking a chance on the first live-action cinematic version of Superman’s pet, Krypto the Superdog? He laughs. “I think I would have an interest in a live-action Krypto whether or not I had anything to do with Rocket,” he says.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...234707361/amp/

Krypto confirmed
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It's good he's consciously aware of Superhero fatigue because that's probably something they'll have to actively fight off now as well as DC's less than stellar rep cinematically.

Gunn has finally hired a casting director

By SDCC we should know who the lead actors are I’d guess.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

And Gunn keeps saying the right things.

I don't believe in superhero fatigue, personally. I believe in bad movie fatigue and "I've seen this story before" fatigue. But Gunn makes the sharpest insights into the concept I've seen from an industry insider. Not that that means much, I don't follow these guys like some of y'all do. So, y'know, small sample size, but I'll still take it as a win.

Glad he's finally said, straight out, that he's not writing this movie as if it's Star-Lord and the Guardians. I've seen some folks complain that he'd do exactly that and it always seemed a foolish worry to me. Whatever else Gunn is, he's not an idiot. Good he's addressing those concerns and shutting them down.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Here is Gunn’s casting director apparently, he worked with him before on Peacemaker and TSS. Dude had a pretty impressive resume (along with a few duds).

Good luck to him I guess, rooting for him to nail the casting because everything for both Superman and DC are hinging on Legacy doing well.

Here is Gunn’s casting director apparently, he worked with him before on Peacemaker and TSS. Dude had a pretty impressive resume (along with a few duds).

Good luck to him I guess, rooting for him to nail the casting because everything for both Superman and DC are hinging on Legacy doing well.
    Wonder if he'll use him for most of the future DC stuff.

But don’t expect a retread. “I don’t think the movie would be worth making if it was just a redo of any other Superman adaptation,” Gunn tells Variety. “For us to truly thrive as a studio, we need to honor the past of these characters while simultaneously seeing them in a new light.”
    https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/dc...00-1235575613/

Hope that extends to not having Lex or Zod as the main bad guy, I’m a bit nervous since they’re apparently casting Lex. Still there’s ways to include him without making him steal the spotlight. If Lobo shows up I could see it being to claim a bounty Lex has put on Superman as an opening act.

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/dc...00-1235575613/

Hope that extends to not having Lex or Zod as the main bad guy, I’m a bit nervous since they’re apparently casting Lex. Still there’s ways to include him without making him steal the spotlight. If Lobo shows up I could see it being to claim a bounty Lex has put on Superman as an opening act.
    Lex is the one major villain who can just as easily work as a supporting character as he can the main villain.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Lex is the one major villain who can just as easily work as a supporting character as he can the main villain.
    I also think lex can be a great protagonist for his own shit..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

But don’t expect a retread. “I don’t think the movie would be worth making if it was just a redo of any other Superman adaptation,” Gunn tells Variety. “For us to truly thrive as a studio, we need to honor the past of these characters while simultaneously seeing them in a new light.”
    I like this, I like it very much. However, I feel like this is what they always say in every movie franchise. Gunn seems to be repeatedly saying stuff like this though, so it does seem he has the right mindset. Let's hope he can put it in practice.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Let's call him Superboy then. Joking aside, Gunn can pick an actor in his early 20s but playing an "older" Superman like Cavill, Reeve, Routh and Hoelchin played Supermen older than their real age.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Let's call him Superboy then. Joking aside, Gunn can pick an actor in his early 20s but playing an "older" Superman like Cavill, Reeve, Routh and Hoelchin played Supermen older than their real age.
    I did think of that, and it would probably work better since he would age into the age of the character rather than out of it.

Man I gotta say though, why the hell does Superman being in his 20s when he starts his career get some people up in arms? This isn’t directed at you specifically, but some people were complaining that the MAWS Superman looked “too young”/“more like Superboy than Superman” and I’m just baffled by that personally. Since when is the idea of Clark starting his career in his 20s so off putting for some people? Is it because of Byrne having him be in his 30s when he starts his career? Because that’s dumb to me.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I did think of that, and it would probably work better since he would age into the age of the character rather than out of it.

Man I gotta say though, why the hell does Superman being in his 20s when he starts his career get some people up in arms? This isn’t directed at you specifically, but some people were complaining that the MAWS Superman looked “too young”/“more like Superboy than Superman” and I’m just baffled by that personally. Since when is the idea of Clark starting his career in his 20s so off putting for some people? Is it because of Byrne having him be in his 30s when he starts his career? Because that’s dumb to me.
    He was 25 in Byrne's MoS.

I think it's for the movies, the superhero archetype is a man around his 30s. While 20 something actors are left playing the legacy heroes like Batgirl, Supegirl, Jaime Reis, etc.

I assume Gunn's Supergirl is going to break the mold and be a teen or Clark's peer?

I don't mind him being in his 20's but "Chris Pratt-type" has me concerned about his characterization.