Page 55 of 167 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I like there to be tension between Kal and Kara at first before they get to know each other.
    I don't like a full blown edgelord Kara, but I definitely don't like it when she's just some "all American girl" either. And I absolutely agree that Kara and Clark should have plenty of tension between them. And not only just when she first arrives, but always. They're very different people in the way that only people who are very similar can be, if that makes any sense?

I think with Clark, Kara pops the illusion of Krypton he had built up in his head. Clark wants to think his culture was perfect, that his bio-parents were perfect, and then along comes Kara with her stories of how Uncle Jor would yell at his assistants and her casual anti-clone racism, and Clark has to face the reality that Krypton wasn't flawless. And of course, she reminds him of how very un-Kryptonian he is. She laughs at how he speaks the language and doesn't understand the slang (not in a mean way but still). Clark's always aware of how not-human he is, but with Kara he's reminded of how not-Kryptonian he is too, and he feels like an even bigger outcast.

And I think Kara resents Clark for not being more emotionally attached. He's the only thing she has left in the universe but he doesn't, and never did, think of Krypton as home and didn't know she even existed until he was an adult. He can't miss what he never knew and I think Kara resents, despite herself, having to mourn her world by herself. And I think she resents and is also jealous of how well Clark fits in on earth while she struggles to understand all of it, even basic body language. Clark thinks he's an utter outcast, but from Kara's perspective he's as human as anyone else on the planet and I think that causes a lot of conflicting emotions within her.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't like a full blown edgelord Kara, but I definitely don't like it when she's just some "all American girl" either. And I absolutely agree that Kara and Clark should have plenty of tension between them. And not only just when she first arrives, but always. They're very different people in the way that only people who are very similar can be, if that makes any sense?

I think with Clark, Kara pops the illusion of Krypton he had built up in his head. Clark wants to think his culture was perfect, that his bio-parents were perfect, and then along comes Kara with her stories of how Uncle Jor would yell at his assistants and her casual anti-clone racism, and Clark has to face the reality that Krypton wasn't flawless. And of course, she reminds him of how very un-Kryptonian he is. She laughs at how he speaks the language and doesn't understand the slang (not in a mean way but still). Clark's always aware of how not-human he is, but with Kara he's reminded of how not-Kryptonian he is too, and he feels like an even bigger outcast.

And I think Kara resents Clark for not being more emotionally attached. He's the only thing she has left in the universe but he doesn't, and never did, think of Krypton as home and didn't know she even existed until he was an adult. He can't miss what he never knew and I think Kara resents, despite herself, having to mourn her world by herself. And I think she resents and is also jealous of how well Clark fits in on earth while she struggles to understand all of it, even basic body language. Clark thinks he's an utter outcast, but from Kara's perspective he's as human as anyone else on the planet and I think that causes a lot of conflicting emotions within her.
    This, I really like this!

I think there can be some tension but shouldn't override the positivity and familial warmth of their relationship.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

We barely get any interaction between Clark and Kara, so adding some tension and contrasting them is just unnecessary. It works when they're established like Superman and Batman during post-crisis, but not every character has that deep history.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there can be some tension but shouldn't override the positivity and familial warmth of their relationship.
    The tension should come early in their relationship, before later giving way to the closer bond. As Kara accepts that Kal is not Kryptonian in upbringing and therefore has a different perspective, and Kal comes to understand why Kara misses Krypton so much and dislikes various things about Earth, they should grow closer.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

people here are no fun..have kara and kal go on a full blown brawl!!! Let's get ready to ruuuummmble!!
    I wonder if they used to have kryptonians wrestling matches?that'd be fun.meh! kryptonians were abit too "uptight" for that i guess.They might go all "how dare you good sir? Such thuggery is beneath us"
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-20-2023 at 12:19 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nobody wants edgelord Kara, good sir. But family is messy. The El's should be no exception. Hel, they should be (and usually are) messier than most, given the circumstances and who we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    We barely get any interaction between Clark and Kara, so adding some tension and contrasting them is just unnecessary. It works when they're established like Superman and Batman during post-crisis, but not every character has that deep history.
    Kara's been around since '59, and while she and Clark aren't exactly close and hanging out every second issue, there's more than enough history to pull some quality depth out of their relationship. And more than enough reason on the page for the two of them to annoy each other at times.

Yeah, Clark and Kara love each other and have, generally, a good relationship. Especially after they've gotten to know each other. None of that means they don't also drive each other nuts half the time, or have some deep-seated, quiet resentments towards each other.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Someone mentioned this elsewhere but it feels like the 20s “wholesome family” vibes is basically the equivalent to the 90s edge. Making everything happy and conflict free is boring, I want to see Kal and Kara have a bond, but it has to be earned. He’s not what she expected and Kal never even knew Kara existed at all, of course there would be some butting of heads and culture clash as they try and feel out their relationship with each other. If there isn’t, there wouldn’t be a story!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Should General Sam Lane appear in Superman: Legacy?

41_02.jpg

My ideal first movie for a reboot would have him and Metallo as the main villains with Lex in the background. If Gunn goes with Brainiac it would still make sense for him to show up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    Should General Sam Lane appear in Superman: Legacy?

41_02.jpg
    I know that Serial Numbers Filed Off Thunderbolt Ross is a popular version of Sam Lane… but I’d prefer it if they made him less of a parody or outright copy of a Marvel character, and made him a more nuanced character who’s a little bit more plausible as Lois’s father in terms of shared vices and virtues.

So… I’d have it be either Major Lane as a still comparatively young Colonel LaneB/Brigadier General Lane working for military intelligence, or a retired General who’s still working in military intelligence, and in a lot of ways, his temperament, sense of righteousness, people skills, and attitude are the same as Lois - except that he’s devoted to the military.

…So the tension between him and Lois comes from her distrusting authority figures, while he generally trusts them - and I’d even have her backstory be that Sam got her into a great program to get into military intelligence, she became a whistleblower for some kind of scandal at the program, and she and Sam fell out because Sam wanted her to report to the chain of command, and she knew they’d cover it up.

And now, she and Sam are estranged, while he’s found himself part of a new organization - the DEO or Argus - where they’d making anti-Superman contingencies as a “precaution”… which again plays into his and Lois’s argument.

So, Sam’s not a xenophobe, but he’s in a situation where xenophobia is an endemic part of the program.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I know that Serial Numbers Filed Off Thunderbolt Ross is a popular version of Sam Lane… but I’d prefer it if they made him less of a parody or outright copy of a Marvel character, and made him a more nuanced character who’s a little bit more plausible as Lois’s father in terms of shared vices and virtues.

So… I’d have it be either Major Lane as a still comparatively young Colonel LaneB/Brigadier General Lane working for military intelligence, or a retired General who’s still working in military intelligence, and in a lot of ways, his temperament, sense of righteousness, people skills, and attitude are the same as Lois - except that he’s devoted to the military.

…So the tension between him and Lois comes from her distrusting authority figures, while he generally trusts them - and I’d even have her backstory be that Sam got her into a great program to get into military intelligence, she became a whistleblower for some kind of scandal at the program, and she and Sam fell out because Sam wanted her to report to the chain of command, and she knew they’d cover it up.

And now, she and Sam are estranged, while he’s found himself part of a new organization - the DEO or Argus - where they’d making anti-Superman contingencies as a “precaution”… which again plays into his and Lois’s argument.

So, Sam’s not a xenophobe, but he’s in a situation where xenophobia is an endemic part of the program.
    So, something like Post Rebirth?

military2.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    So, something like Post Rebirth?

military2.jpg
    Yup, but maybe with Lois being less “idealistic reporter” and more “cynically anti-authoritarian.”

And I’d maybe make John Corben not Lois’s ex-boyfriend, but one of her old classmates who got thrown out by her exposing the scandal, and bitter about it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yup, but maybe with Lois being less “idealistic reporter” and more “cynically anti-authoritarian.”

And I’d maybe make John Corben not Lois’s ex-boyfriend, but one of her old classmates who got thrown out by her exposing the scandal, and bitter about it.
    But if Corben got thrown out of the program, how does he become Metallo?