Page 36 of 167 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    Retired

Maybe not Man of Tomorrow or Caped Kryptonian, but I think it would be a flex to use a word or collection of words--"something something or just something"--that everyone knows from Superman mythology. Thus demonstrating how important and global Superman has become as a concept, where all we have to do is hear this thing and we know it's about Superman.

Things like--Smallville, Kryptonite, Daily Planet, Clark Kent, Krypto, Metropolis, Lois Lane, Krypton, Action Comics, Lex Luthor, Up Up and Away, Truth Justice and the American Way, Mild Mannered Reporter, Strange Visitor from Another Planet, the Big Red "S," Faster Than a Speeding Bullet, More Powerful Than a Locomotive, It's a Bird it's a Plane, Only a Man in a Funny Red Sheet . . .

People were asking if Gunn had any Superman deep cuts beyond the basic entry books lol

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It's recent. He said it after revealing the new slate few days ago.
    That’s encouraging then.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Caped Kryptonian
    nice name... ridiculous enough to get a laugh out of me.Thanks.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

My guess right now is that "Legacy" was picked because damn near every other title you'd think a Superman movie might have has been used for specific storylines and Gunn didn't want folks thinking he was adapting something. So as great as something like "Up Up and Away" might be for a movie title (and after Snyder I feel like it would be) its also been used before.

I won't be surprised at all if the name is changed as we get closer to the movie actually coming out. It might remain Legacy, as that's a very DC term and it applies to Clark's heritage as well as maybe Kara if she comes into play here, but as a movie title it *is* kind of a dud. Still, could be worse. The movie could be called For Tomorrow.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Man of Tomorrow would be great, but repetitive with Supergirl's movie in the future. Up in the Sky would be perfect as a title and as a story to adapt, but again, I doubt it will be.

I think Ascended is right, Gunn is probably writing an original story and he doesn't want to complicated things by associating his movie with some storyline from the comics.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

I still think Superman and the World of Tomorrow would be an absolute banger of a title and I hope to see it used eventually.

Extraordinary Member

Personally, I think it might be cool, especially if we’re doing a “Year 2” type of story, to make it clear that this Superman *is* an experienced superhero who’s had a whole bunch of off-screen adventures he can obliquely refer to, and a career as Clark that is also already established… but it’s in fitting into a Metoripolis that’s a “City if Tomorrow” with all sorts of crazy things, and in forming his friend group with Lois and Jimmy that he’s still growing into at the start, and then he gets challenged by something larger than he’s experienced before - like Brainiac.

Like, picture a Clark who has enough experience in flying and using his heat vision in crises that he’s already got a subtle grace with them, even in combat, even when compared to Brainiac drones, Brainiac, Parasite, Lobo etc., and where Clark has a history and small following as a blogger and now online columnist…

…But where he’s in Metropolis in part because Star Labs, LexCorp, and Intergang are flooding the city with super science, and befriended Lois and Jimmy because they’re investigating everything, with Lois being his equal in skill, but as a more raw investigative reporter, and he and Lois are sort of pulling each other into better journalism, dealing with some clashes in philosophies, and with Jimmy as the dude who has the connections on the ground while he tries to become a photographer. And then Brainiac shows up and is genuinely more than Superman can just use his powers against, but requires cunning, investigation, and exploitation of weaknesses.

…And really. Getting some of the superior, modern Lois and Clark shenanigans is necessary, and we can’t replicate the Silver Age version. Lois works better when she can be competent, sharp, and sassy, but also when she and Clark have Belligerent Sexual Tension compared to her openly flirting with Superman. Kidder was good for the 2-Dimensional, boring Lois in a shallow romance with Superman in the 80’s, but Hatcher, Durrance, and Delaney all surpassed her because they got better versions of Lois - and to be blunt, even Adam’s was more watchable in MOS just because having her be more than “dumb love interest” is paramount.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Personally, I think it might be cool, especially if we’re doing a “Year 2” type of story, to make it clear that this Superman *is* an experienced superhero who’s had a whole bunch of off-screen adventures he can obliquely refer to, and a career as Clark that is also already established… but it’s in fitting into a Metoripolis that’s a “City if Tomorrow” with all sorts of crazy things, and in forming his friend group with Lois and Jimmy that he’s still growing into at the start, and then he gets challenged by something larger than he’s experienced before - like Brainiac.

Like, picture a Clark who has enough experience in flying and using his heat vision in crises that he’s already got a subtle grace with them, even in combat, even when compared to Brainiac drones, Brainiac, Parasite, Lobo etc., and where Clark has a history and small following as a blogger and now online columnist…

…But where he’s in Metropolis in part because Star Labs, LexCorp, and Intergang are flooding the city with super science, and befriended Lois and Jimmy because they’re investigating everything, with Lois being his equal in skill, but as a more raw investigative reporter, and he and Lois are sort of pulling each other into better journalism, dealing with some clashes in philosophies, and with Jimmy as the dude who has the connections on the ground while he tries to become a photographer. And then Brainiac shows up and is genuinely more than Superman can just use his powers against, but requires cunning, investigation, and exploitation of weaknesses.

…And really. Getting some of the superior, modern Lois and Clark shenanigans is necessary, and we can’t replicate the Silver Age version. Lois works better when she can be competent, sharp, and sassy, but also when she and Clark have Belligerent Sexual Tension compared to her openly flirting with Superman. Kidder was good for the 2-Dimensional, boring Lois in a shallow romance with Superman in the 80’s, but Hatcher, Durrance, and Delaney all surpassed her because they got better versions of Lois - and to be blunt, even Adam’s was more watchable in MOS just because having her be more than “dumb love interest” is paramount.
    It'll be interesting to see how they handle the Clark/Lois/Superman triangle, although it is kind of expected even for the best Lois' to fall for Superman first...I think Tulloch's Lois was a rarity in that it didn't happen first, while for Adams she got to know him as Clark/Superman almost immediately.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how they handle the Clark/Lois/Superman triangle, although it is kind of expected even for the best Lois' to fall for Superman first...I think Tulloch's Lois was a rarity in that it didn't happen first, while for Adams she got to know him as Clark/Superman almost immediately.
    Frankly, I think the courtship sequence in S&L will be tough to top, as it was pretty perfect. Tons of chemistry, well acted, well scripted (and toss in a Seinfeld reference for good measure ), and the part when Clark overhears her tell her colleague is just great. For me, the bar is set here.

I think conceptually, MoS ending with Lois telling Clark, "welcome to the planet" was pretty cool.

What I hope the new movie doesn't try and do with Lois & Clark is something different just for the sake of being different. Just get chemistry right and things will fall into place.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The Star-Lord/Gamora romance is well regarded from what I’ve seen, I think Gunn will do just fine with Clois. Where Jimmy might fit into things is my big concern. Hope he’s read Fraction’s mini!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Oh man, if there's anything inspired by the Fraction mini, it'll be gold!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

It appears the Gunn regime may be starting to skate on thin ice which would have an impact on Superman. Some reports say the suits at WBD are not happy with Gunn having blamed the Cavill fiasco on them. In fact it seems the blame goes to Dwayne Johnson and Dany Garcia. Now Gunn puts Constantine 2 on the backburner which was a fav of Zaslav. That move is crazy. It would have been a cult film starring the popular Reeves. It would have cost little to make and probably delivered a significantly better ROI than Gunn's Superman Legacy. Then Gunn posts on Twitter the cover from Action. Lots of negative comments - and they were not bots. It may be an indication that Gunn's Superman film could get trashed on social media by Snyder and Cavill fans. They may be a small group but could became a significant drag on the film going forward. WBD had to have noted the reaction. Gunn wants to direct SL when previously the suits wanted the Flash director. If Flash is huge as expected that could become another issue.

Could Gunn be removed as head of DC Studios? After BA bombed Zaslav quickly replaced the previous heads with Gunn so it is not out of the question. Gunn announced an initial slate of films. Yup, and so did the previous regime in 2015. Most of those films never say the light of day. Add to the mix the likely takeover of WBD by Comcast next year things are not looking all that stable.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-08-2023 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The Star-Lord/Gamora romance is well regarded from what I’ve seen, I think Gunn will do just fine with Clois. Where Jimmy might fit into things is my big concern. Hope he’s read Fraction’s mini!
    I thought that was okay, but I hope Lois is handled better than Gamora was.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought that was okay, but I hope Lois is handled better than Gamora was.
    What went wrong with Gamora would you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    What went wrong with Gamora would you say?
    Gunn kind of turned her into a "token female character" who is usually there to be the emotional/moral center of the team and the type who is serious and more common sense than the guys, and he really undercut how dangerous/capable she's supposed to be compared to Gamora in the comics.