Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Oh hey, another origin story. Wonder if we'll see Krypton explode again. Surely that's what everyone's waiting for.

Now, being serious... I'm actually angry on Cavill's behalf, and I don't even like those movies. Coates' movie is apparently still going forwards, which may be a good or bad thing, hard to tell when we know nothing about it, but at the very least it may indicate that their policy of allowing movies outside of the shared universe in this new era is not limited to the already successful Joker and The Batman.

As for whatever Gunn may be writing... could be good. Hard to get excited for what appears to be another origin, and I can already smell Lex's involvement, but at the very least I hope he'll be more... irreverent, with the character (the best part of MoS remains the priest gulping dramatically when Clark told him he was the alien). Lord knows that trying to make the Definitive Statement With Superman In Current Times didn't help Superman Returns or MoS at all.

Gunn loves lesser known characters. What are the odds we get a live-action Legion in this?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I feel bad for Cavill because I do think he could be a genuinely good Superman with the right script, but this was 100% the right move for WBD. Cavill is too associated with the Snyderverse and that general dark perception of DC that general moviegoers have of DC since BVS came out.

I don’t think audiences were going to accept a new DC Universe with the actors from the past films they disliked coming back.
    I definitely think all of the main Leaguers are getting rebooted at this point.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

So who should play Superman? I think that guy from Euphoria would be good

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I definitely think all of the main Leaguers are getting rebooted at this point.
    Aquaman made a billion dollars with mostly average reviews. I have a hard time believing that if Aquaman 2 does similarly, Gunn will have the power to essentially fire Mamoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Oh hey, another origin story. Wonder if we'll see Krypton explode again. Surely that's what everyone's waiting for.

Now, being serious... I'm actually angry on Cavill's behalf, and I don't even like those movies. Coates' movie is apparently still going forwards, which may be a good or bad thing, hard to tell when we know nothing about it, but at the very least it may indicate that their policy of allowing movies outside of the shared universe in this new era is not limited to the already successful Joker and The Batman.

As for whatever Gunn may be writing... could be good. Hard to get excited for what appears to be another origin, and I can already smell Lex's involvement, but at the very least I hope he'll be more... irreverent, with the character (the best part of MoS remains the priest gulping dramatically when Clark told him he was the alien). Lord knows that trying to make the Definitive Statement With Superman In Current Times didn't help Superman Returns or MoS at all.
    Good news, it’s not an origin story: https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status...h87IZ6rSZD8D9w

It’s almost assuredly a “Year 2” story about Clark in Metropolis. We’ll see if the Abrams/Coates project actually happens, I doubt Zaslav will actually green light two Superman reboots competing with each other, but Cavill just had too much baggage. People were pitching a fit about recasting Lois, even though Cavill and Adams have no chemistry together. It’s for the best that we start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Gunn loves lesser known characters. What are the odds we get a live-action Legion in this?
    In this movie? Unlikely. In the DCU? Good chance. Personally I think we’ll see Superman fight Lobo, Gunn was apparently recruiting Momoa to play the character for their new universe, and what better place to debut him than in a Superman movie that’s kicking off the new shared universe? Maybe they’ll take inspiration from the animated Man of Tomorrow movie.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

I hope this does well, there hasn't been a hit Superman movie in over 40 years.

Maybe they can make him work this time.

This part from The Hollywood Reporter article on the news...

Warners has also been developing a Black superman film written by Ta-Nehisi Coates and produced by J.J. Abrams, and Gunn’s new movie is said to not have an impact on that project, with Coates still working on the script.
    Sweet.

This is the only Superman movie that I have any interest in seeing.

And yeah, I assume it'll be like the Joker and be a Warner Bros. film as opposed to a DCU film.

This has been a good day.

EDIT:

And Variety says it's still happening too..

Additionally, Variety sources said the new Gunn project will not replace the previously announced J.J. Abrams-Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman concept (which is still in active development).
    Nice.
    Last edited by Isaac Lawrence; 12-14-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Small, I think. I recall talks of a Legion movie died a few years ago. The studio felt they were too obscure to make a movie about.

From Variety:

Sources close to DC told Variety that Gunn, his co-president Peter Safran and Cavill met recently and are all energized to find something in the comic book universe for Cavill to tackle.

Gunn has been at work on the new Superman story for some time, insiders say. The script will focus on the character’s life as a cub reporter in the fictional city of Metropolis. Audiences will encounter him meeting key characters, like colleague Lois Lane, insiders added.
    I wonder if, depending on how long exactly Gunn has been working on the script, this played a role in why MAWS got saved for HBO Max over TCC. The cartoon will now be doing a lot of setup for the movie in terms of getting people interested in that kind of story for Superman again.

Can anyone ask Gunn of he is putting a no Lex and Zod rule?

What character fits Henry in the DCU ?
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Hopefully they remember Superman have other villains and not just Lex and Zod.

I always believed the best way forward was a complete reboot or at least a reset changing the tone, like they did with The Suicide Squad. When they announced Cavill's return a couple months ago, I was hoping for the reset, even if the reboot was, imo, a better option.

Anyway, WB should be making everything in their power to make up to Henry Cavill after the shitshow they have put him in. It doesn't have to be a DC thing, is probably better if it isn't, but they should greenlit whatever project he brings to them next, or casting him in a couple potential blockbusters in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Hopefully they remember Superman have other villains and not just Lex and Zod.

I always believed the best way forward was a complete reboot or at least a reset changing the tone, like they did with The Suicide Squad. When they announced Cavill's return a couple months ago, I was hoping for the reset, even if the reboot was, imo, a better option.

Anyway, WB should be making everything in their power to make up to Henry Cavill after the shitshow they have put him in. It doesn't have to be a DC thing, is probably better if it isn't, but they should greenlit whatever project he brings to them next, or casting him in a couple potential blockbusters in the near future.
    Knowing Gunn we could probably get Parasite or something. Personally I would adapt the first Action Comics arc that Morrison did with Super bro

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    At least it looks like Gunn and Safran are going to get him a new role in the new DCU (I guess that rumor about Momoa being Lobo is true). I’m fucking ecstatic personally, at least we’re finally free of Snyder. Gunn has at least read some comic books, maybe now there’s a chance we can get some Superman Rogues other than Lex or Zod. Hell Gunn is close with Morrison, maybe he’ll be adapting parts of Morrison’s Action Comics run!
    Adapting Morrison's AC run would be amazing, I'm all for an on screen Champion of the Oppressed!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Is James Gunn going to be hiring himself to write all of these future DC projects? Or just the really important ones?