Page 6 of 167 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I know it seems Gunn and Warners wants to do a connected universe across all media Ala Lucasfilm with Star Wars and Marvel to an extent, but I wish he would let, say Patty Jenkins make her third Wonder Woman with Gadot or give Henry Cavill a stand alone send off movie or series or even let the Shazam corner of the DCU be its own thing to finish its trilogy.
    Me, too.

I cannot state enough that Marvel was a lightning in a bottle once in a lifetime miracle that somehow worked and became what it is today. The Disney brand built it as as much as the goodwill from phase one.

WB are foolish for trying to emulate it for, what, a third revision (arguably forth).

WB and DC need to release a large number of quality products to build their reputation as a quality studio releasing quality entertainment. Otherwise, to the mass audience, they're just like Sony's Spider-man adjacent mess.

And the tricky part is they need to do it without people comparing it to Marvel, a battle they'll always lose because MCU now has that built in nostalgia that Disney has weaponised for the majority of their existence. People already like Marvel. Marvel gives them the superhero stuff they like. Give them a reason to like DC AS WELL AS Marvel, rather than instead of.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I get everyone is excited and pissed about this, but y'all realize this begins the start of Superman walking a tightrope? Sure, we get news articles and PR pieces about how important Superman is to the new 10-year plan, James Gunn is everybody's favorite nerdy Hollywood guy because he totally loves the comics. He's still under Zaslav. The man who canceled a $90 million dollar project, if you think Hollywood's black magic that is accounting can't do it again, you're crazy. Marvel never gave the Hulk another movie again. Seeing Dwayne Johnson's latest flops, WB/DC isn't like Marvel.
    However, I doubt Superman will do bad at the box office.

This kind of reminds of in sports when a team hires a new GM, the new GM fires the entire coaching staff and hires his guys. It's Gunn and Safran's show, and I hope that this isn't a case in which they want the new DCEU to reflect their vision and only their vision and they're afraid they won't get their due if they succeeded with the old cast. If they pitch us something that interests me, I'll watch, but (to use another sports analogy) they're blowing up the franchise and going into tank mode, and no fan accepts tanking unless there are results. They're going to get our praise if they earn it, but by scorching the Earth they have to deliver or else their heads should figuratively roll.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    James Gunn confirms this reboot will not cover the origin story:

Fan-freakin-tastic! The last thing we need is another origin story. The Batman worked and its a copycat world after all. Just don't copy the darkness part.

Besides, everyone knows Superman's origin story anyway. Year two (or thereabouts) is much more interesting.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    This kind of reminds of in sports when a team hires a new GM, the new GM fires the entire coaching staff and hires his guys. It's Gunn and Safran's show, and I hope that this isn't a case in which they want the new DCEU to reflect their vision and only their vision and they're afraid they won't get their due if they succeeded with the old cast. If they pitch us something that interests me, I'll watch, but (to use another sports analogy) they're blowing up the franchise and going into tank mode, and no fan accepts tanking unless there are results. They're going to get our praise if they earn it, but by scorching the Earth they have to deliver or else their heads should figuratively roll.
    It's better to blow-up and trying to get a fresh start than being the Washington Wizards of Hollywood.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

They are already in a rut..The returns on these movies are nosediving..There is no hook for audiences to get excited.Last time they had a major hook and they blew it with bvs.They haven't found a footing from then on.They need to bring in the buzz before they start their first line of movies.The best thing james gunn does is directly attend to the fans and "geek culture sites and trades".He directly addresses them and stops any rumours from causing wild fires.Dc had bad pr from the get go.The social media,fan sites and forums where always full of negativity and strife.

Who knows?start of a new universe with promise of a new narrative will help bring audiences.For that they need to slowly start building.The major factor working against that would be people getting tired of superheroes taking up space in the theatres(yes that is a thing..scorsese is right..no superheroes aren't modern day westerns..western didn't saturate the market like superheroes..other kinds of movies where still making top ten box office to a large degree.)
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Exactly what I said in the other thread but better expressed.
    It's up to Gunn to wow us. It's in his court now.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Wow.

I hope you folks like 1960s/1970s Dad Rock and lame comedy centering around how Superman is a manchild that needs to be browbeaten into doing the right thing by Lois Lane with an occasional cameo by Gunn's brother.

Because that is what you are getting.

Also, the first Suicide Squad movie was better.

Five gets you ten that Alan Ritchson is the new Superman
    Last edited by Anthony W; 12-15-2022 at 06:37 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I get everyone is excited and pissed about this, but y'all realize this begins the start of Superman walking a tightrope? Sure, we get news articles and PR pieces about how important Superman is to the new 10-year plan, James Gunn is everybody's favorite nerdy Hollywood guy because he totally loves the comics. He's still under Zaslav. The man who canceled a $90 million dollar project, if you think Hollywood's black magic that is accounting can't do it again, you're crazy. Marvel never gave the Hulk another movie again. Seeing Dwayne Johnson's latest flops, WB/DC isn't like Marvel.
    However, I doubt Superman will do bad at the box office.

Zaslav is a hero for canceling batgirl

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Wow.

I hope you folks like 1960s/1970s Dad Rock and lame comedy centering around how Superman is a manchild that needs to be browbeaten into doing the right thing by Lois Lane with an occasional cameo by Gunn's brother.

Because that is what you are getting.

Also, the first Suicide Squad movie was better.

Five gets you ten that Alan Ritchson is the new Superman

Let me let you in on a secret

Come closer

Superman has never been interesting on film…not since 1978

Whatever James Gunn does will be better by default

I do think they handled everything poorly though. Why blue balled everyone with Cavill's return only to do this?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    Let me let you in on a secret

Come closer

Superman has never been interesting on film…not since 1978

Whatever James Gunn does will be better by default
    Not exactly,WB has never produced a good superman for mass audience.Even the donner movies are great because they were done by independent salkind production spinning their own take at the time..Their(wb) own record is against them.James gunn has an uphill battle.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I do think they handled everything poorly though. Why blue balled everyone with Cavill's return only to do this?
    It’s because the Rock and his agent(who also happened to be Cavil’s agent) pushed for Cavil before the new leadership was chosen. They didn’t think or foresee that the new heads could have their own ideas as to what to do with the character, and to make things sadder Cavil expressed excitement about working with James Gunn as Superman shortly he announced he was returning on instagram. So it definitely makes things quite awkward that now he has to backpedal on that announcement, but that’s the nature of the business.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

sucks for Cavill not sure what other character he wants to play besides Superman. But if Gunn not using Cavill for his new reboot why are they still releasing the Flash movie?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What a mess of news, actors in then out.

It's crazy that all the pressure in the entire universe rests on Gunn doing a proper nondivisive wildly successful consensus Superman film (since this film would need to propel this whole new cinematic universe). A feat that has long eluded Warner/DC (since Donner).

I wouldn't want to be in Gunn's shoes on this goal, or Warner/DC's shoes either.

Gunn should mostly definitely look to Morrison and All-Star Superman for ideas for this new Superman film. He should immerse himself into Morrison and his thinking about superheroes.

Lex should have at least some role in the film, they should strongly consider Michael Rosenbaum, but I admit some bias of mine on that point (see: my avatar).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-15-2022 at 07:38 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”