View Poll Results: Will You Miss Cavil In the Role?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I wish he was back

33 45.21%
  • No - I’m ready To Move On

40 54.79%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    We need a "yes, but I'm ok with moving on" option. I said yes, but I'm good either way.
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Never! Superheroes are supposed to be nice, and polite, and give hope. Henry Cavill's Superman killed Zod!
    I hope that's sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Yep, I love Snyder's movies* but his time is done and I really wanted to see what Cavill would do under the new regime.

My greatest concern is the next Superman will be a regressive over-correct and we'll have another Superman Returns.

*just accept that many Superman fans loved these and the echo chamber here isn't the whole fanbase.
    Totally agree.

I mean, I loved MOS. BvS was a good film, but flawed in many ways. Neither Snyder's JL nor the Whedon cut are perfect, though Snyder's cut is way better.

I was really looking forward to seeing a post-Snyder take on Cavill's Superman. JL ended with him potentially going to marry Lois soon and taking the role of the more 'classic' bringer-of-hope Superman (as evidenced by the shirt-rip right at the end of Whedon's cut) and I thought that was a good launch-pad for future Superman films. I would have loved to see Cavill play a more traditional Superman, while still retaining some of that edge and emotional realism.

I really hope the lesson WB takes from all this isn't that we need Donner 2.0 (or rather, Donner 3.0).

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Never! Superheroes are supposed to be nice, and polite, and give hope. Henry Cavill's Superman killed Zod!
    I love that you exist..keep on the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I hope that's sarcastic
    It's freaking superboy-prime..Calling it like it is.
    Seriously though, there is some truth to what prime is saying .
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-15-2022 at 07:02 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I never liked Superman until MOS. That movie just did everything right to me. I’ve never enjoyed any other actor in the role. I would’ve loved another solo movie but man they blew that opportunity. Such a complete waste. I’m throwing my support behind the Coates movie if that’s even still a possibility. I think you need big changes to get eyes on the character again.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think he got cheated out of the chance to play a "good" version of the character. And I think he knows that. But so much time has passed I really do kind of feel that a reboot is necessary. I wish we had more than a binary option.
    Assassinate Putin!

Will definitely miss him. I always thought he was well cast, problem was the scripts. Cavill didn't write the scripts, which were too dour and depressing.
    That was the scriptwriters and corporate suits faults.

That said, a fresh start is probably needed since any momentum with Cavill as Supes has now been lost.

If they had announced this new turn shortly after Zaslav took over, I probably would have shrugged and said "Oh well, it's not what I would have wanted, but it's about time we got some news anyway."

But to have it happen after Cavill's Black Adam cameo, after the announcement of his triumphant return, after the claim that our patience had not been for nothing and we were finally going to get a new movie with Cavill's Superman after all?

That's just cruel. It's so fucking cruel.

Yes, I absolutely wish Henry Cavill was still playing Superman.

FUNcorLXEAEUb_m.jpg
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Totally. Ive wanted him to get a proper shot at playing Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Will you miss Henry Cavil in the role now that it’s been confirmed that he will not be returning?
    ^^^ A little bit, yeah.
    He made for a good looking Supes. It’s not his fault he was featured in such poorly written movies. Same goes for Affleck’s Batman.

With these two characters though, there have been so many actors that have put in such memorable performances, that the sting is somewhat muted.

The one that really stings is losing Gadot’s WW.
    She and Lynda Carter are really the only actresses who’ve put their mark on the character.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^ A little bit, yeah.
    He made for a good looking Supes. It’s not his fault he was featured in such poorly written movies. Same goes for Affleck’s Batman.

With these two characters though, there have been so many actors that have put in such memorable performances, that the sting is somewhat muted.

The one that really stings is losing Gadot’s WW.
    She and Lynda Carter are really the only actresses who’ve put their mark on the character.
    Yeah I'm weirdly more sad for Gadot. We've had six movie Batmen and three movie Supermen....but only one movie Wonder Woman.

I know WW84 wasn't so great, but I really did want to see one more film with her in the role before moving on.

The Cavill thing hurts because of the cruelty of literally giving the role back to him and then basically going "SIKE" and taking it away. But it feels like Gadot and Momoa are going to have to lose those roles for the sake of the future of the reboot of the DCU and it royally sucks.

Maybe, after the smoke clears and their first handful of hopefully successful movies are out and the new universe is established ,Gunn and Safran can properly do a sort of DC BLACK LABEL imprint to allow Gadot and perhaps Cavill and the stuff that doesn't fit into the new plan they clearly have to have an outlet where say, Patty Jenkins can give Gal's Diana a great send off and Cavill could team with the Director of his choice to give him a chance to give his illeration of Superman a dignified stand alone send off.

If they are still considering doing the Abrams/Coates project that is unlikely to be anything beyond a stand alone outlier and Oscar bait, why not give the first cinematic Wonder Woman a proper send of and the actor who arguably got screwed the most a chance to do a Superman film he can be proud Of? I mean there is probably going to be a separate Batman universe all to itself and a separate DCU Batman hanging around. There's already a separate JOKER franchise. Why can't there be a separate little space for Gal and Henry?

Hell at this point I'd be ok with a Superman/Wonder Woman team up film made for the shippers of those two characters, and we all know how I feel about that whole SuperWonder thing! LOL
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-15-2022 at 11:41 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I'll miss that there was a wealth of untapped potential completely botched, none of which was his fault. Beyond that though at the same time, overall it was inescapably part--indeed the start--of the Snyderverse and that deserves to go away. So in such a poll I have to go with No, even though it's not that simple.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    WB has been wanting to scrap away Snyder's lasting influence for years now, it seems the regime change has not changed this idea at all. Dwayne Johnson was the only one pushing for Cavill's return. Anyways, I think it's BS what they did. They could've gave him MoS 2 as his last hurrah.

Have to agree with you . Man Of Steel made enough money to deserve a proper sequel , yet never got one. There should have been a MOS2 film . The studio took way too long . Cavill deserved much better !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Yes. And what's has been done to the actor by the studio is mindly put, 100% unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think he got cheated out of the chance to play a "good" version of the character. And I think he knows that. But so much time has passed I really do kind of feel that a reboot is necessary. I wish we had more than a binary option.
    This.

I find the "he has his chance" thing to be puzzling, because he didn't: he had Snyder's chance. Snyder/Goyer/etc messed it up. As much as I find his love of "For Tomorrow" odd, if Cavill had been put in charge of Superman instead of Snyder, we might be on Superman #4 at this point.

So, while I wait cautiously to see if what's next is any good (and I hope it will be), it will always burn me how WB was too stupid to give Henry - and Brandon - a decent shot. Both deserve better.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Will you miss Henry Cavil in the role now that it’s been confirmed that he will not be returning?
    Yup. Done with DC. Comics too once Barry and Diana reach #800.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Yeah I'm weirdly more sad for Gadot. We've had six movie Batmen and three movie Supermen....but only one movie Wonder Woman.

I know WW84 wasn't so great, but I really did want to see one more film with her in the role before moving on.
    ^^^The Trinity was really ganked in this whole deal.
    WW84 was a lackluster sequel but Gadot deserved another turn at bat.

Cavill’s MoS never even got a sequel.

And Affleck was the Batman who never got his own movie.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^The Trinity was really ganked in this whole deal.
    WW84 was a lackluster sequel but Gadot deserved another turn at bat.

Cavill’s MoS never even got a sequel.

And Affleck was the Batman who never got his own movie.
    Although in Affleck’s case it was his choice to leave. The right one though given his state at the time.

I do think though Affleck’s exit is a large reason why we are where we are. Had he stayed I think things would have turned out a bit differently. If Affleck’ was still Batman and still enthusiastic about sticking around it would be much much harder to replace the rest of the actors in the pantheon and doing a hard reboot.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.