View Poll Results: Will You Miss Cavil In the Role?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I wish he was back

33 45.21%
  • No - I’m ready To Move On

40 54.79%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    I think Chris Reeve once said something along the lines of, "the character will always be more important than the actor."
    EXACTLY.

For me, that is what makes this so obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Huh? For a live action adaptation Superman has to be played by SOMEONE. The question is simply whether or not you'll miss Cavill as that someone.

Or are you more concerned that this question and DC's recent treatment of Cavill might negatively affect future instalments?

I'm pretty sure, as with a lot of recastings, once they're announced the majority will just start getting excited for the new person.
    That's where I am at. My interest is in the character and not any particular actor

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    I think Chris Reeve once said something along the lines of, "the character will always be more important than the actor."
    For Superman? Absolutely. Unfortunately, I think Disney took that approach with Luke Skywalker and I get sad just thinking about it.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    For Superman? Absolutely. Unfortunately, I think Disney took that approach with Luke Skywalker and I get sad just thinking about it.
    Well, there's a lot to be sad about re: Disney star wars.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Nope, I'm ready for a new Superman.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Kind of. On the one hand, I do wish he got a shake at the character not marred by Zack Snyder's terrible vision.

On the other hand, he's the face of the DCEU. It started and ended with him. I do think we need a fresh start, and for that to happen, you need to move away from Cavil.

Double edged sword. Problem is, I didn't and still don't think Gunn is the right person to be behind a relaunched Superman. Time will tell.

If I must pick one option, then no, I don't miss Cavil. The DCEU is a tortured existence and I think we're better for leaving it behind; gems, warts and all.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Cavil is the worst actor to play Superman on a movie. He's nice looking guy sure but if not playing a villain that Tom Cruise can throw a hook crane into his stupid face to knock off a mountain or playing an emotional distant Sherlock Holmes in the Enola Holmes films then I'll watch otherwise I'm not interested.

Maybe he should follow Chris Pine and try being a character actor he better at that than leading roles.

I will miss him. I just hope his successor does a job as good as the one Cavill made.. and hope he have better luck.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Cavil is the worst actor to play Superman on a movie. He's nice looking guy sure but if not playing a villain that Tom Cruise can throw a hook crane into his stupid face to knock off a mountain or playing an emotional distant Sherlock Holmes in the Enola Holmes films then I'll watch otherwise I'm not interested.

Maybe he should follow Chris Pine and try being a character actor he better at that than leading roles.
    ITA. Cavill was miscast from the get-go. He damaged the Superman brand. Moreso than Routh did. Yeah, he has a great bod bit that's superficiality. Cavill is all about the "look" but not about the persona. That is why he failed as Superman.

Per Gunn's comments only Cavill is being "fired". Mamoa, Gadot, Levi and Miller will be a part of his DCEU. Affleck? He has chosen to leave and, past 50, will focus on his directing career. It is emerging as a damning indictment against Cavill which, if one had eyes to see, was delivered in MOS. Cavill and Snyder. Toxic to Superman.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-05-2023 at 09:35 PM.

I don't think Gunn said for certain Momoa, Gadot, Levi, and Miller all have guaranteed spots, just that he's open to bringing them back, whatever that means.

And I hope we don't live in the timeline where somehow Cavill is problematic but simultaneously Miller is A-OK for Flash.

I don't think Gunn said for certain Momoa, Gadot, Levi, and Miller all have guaranteed spots, just that he's open to bringing them back, whatever that means.

And I hope we don't live in the timeline where somehow Cavill is problematic but simultaneously Miller is A-OK for Flash.
    If Shazam 2 does well Levi will get Shazam3. Same for Mamoa and Aquaman2. Reports say Affleck is discussing with Gunn possibly directing a DC film. Two films are apparently on the table. It'd be fantastic if Affleck were to direct Brave and Bold. In the end it may well be that Cavill is the only one totally removed from the DCU. If all the original actors, but for Cavill, continue reprising their roles then it will be the softest of reboots. Keep in mind that Affleck chose to walk away from playing Batman - the studio apparently wanted him to continue.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-06-2023 at 07:03 AM.

Here we go again with the Battfleck cheerleading.

Here we go again with the Battfleck cheerleading.
    It is what it is - https://www.polygon.com/23511212/jam...turn-to-direct

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It sounds all PR talk right now. But he is bringing back all his SS' pals... who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It sounds all PR talk right now. But he is bringing back all his SS' pals... who knows.
    We shall see. In context Aquaman with Mamoa did over a billion. Aquaman 2 is supposed to be very good so another billion? If so Mamoa gets a 3rd. Gadot is the most popular actor in the DCU and her first film did almost 800 million. Gunn said WW 1984 contradicted WW hinting at a WW3 which could do a billion. Both Gadot and Mamoa's salaries go up with each film but if they can deliver billion plus franchises it's worth it.

Cavill OTOH saw all his films underperform. The hype about bringing Superman into BA was predicated on a presumed bump BA would get at the BO. That didn't happen and within days Gunn was named head of DC Studios. There was no way they'd bring back Cavill at a very steep salary as he failed to deliver in the role.

The new actor will cost chump change relative to what Cavill would have cost. It's not clear how much Superman will even be used in the DCU going forward. There is no sense that he is or will be the core character around which the universe is built. Meaning WBD can bring on an actor very cheaply for a film or maybe two but not commit to anything beyond that. It's all about the money which is why if expectations for a massive box for Flash come true that Miller too will be kept on board.