Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman reboot film possibilities

Now that it is highly likely that WW is getting her first reboot within the next 3-4 years what should it look like?

Should Diana have an accent?

Should we get Dianas origin?

Should it be set in present day?

How "ancient" should Diana be?

Who should be the villain?

Should Steve/Etta be featured?

Any particular story they should adapt?

Anything else?

If they do another reboot than a more modern-setting adaptation of Gods and Mortals would work well.

Other than that, no B.S. about Diana debuting in the World Wars but somehow still not being the "first hero" because it steps on Superman's toes and Clay origin would be my only hard wishes.

Incredible Member

I'm happy you made this thread. I've been thinking about this since last night. I imagine this is the "Rebirth" of DC Films. I imagine that'll want to stick somewhat close to Jenkins' Diana representation, so I don't think we're in any danger of a New 52 Diana.

Accent - I hope so. I can't imagine Diana without one now.

Origin - I think they'll mostly skip it. Wonder Woman 2017 is still fresh in people's minds. I expect some throwaway dialogue. I also expect Zeus origin.

Present day - Absolutely. That immediately separates it from the previous movies, and it fixes the supporting cast problem. I imagine Steve, a black Etta, and Barbara Minerva - not Cheetah. Just Barbara

Villain - No Ares or Cheetah since they are too recent. I actually thought Duke of Deception/Paula Von Gunther-Warmaster/ Rucka's Dr. Cyber. Regardless of the villain, I see Giganta as an opening battle to immediately set the tone that this is a different Wonder Woman universe. Personally, I would love Circe but that seems better for a sequel.

Setting - I hope they stick with Washington, D.C.

Job - I hope they stick with Diana Prince and the museum. I could also see Embassy Ambassador. I don't see them having her work for Argus.

Amazons - I think they'll stick with Diana initially not being able to go back. Maybe they'll do Embassy Island. I wonder if they'll go for Blonde Hippolyta.

Powers - The most contentious part of any Wonder Woman discussion. I hope they keep the Bracelet Absorption and Concussion Blast. Strength, healing factor. I think I see super jumping for the first film. I see the return of sword and shield, but I hope it's quite limited. With Gunn, I could see it becoming a main arsenal type situation.

Story - I see Year One but change the villains to Paula Von Gunther and Dr. Cyber. Opening act battle with Giganta. Team Sear a terrorist group is wreaking havoc. Paula is the leader of the group but Cyber is the mastermind. Paula is given some type of myth-inspired technological weapons to fight Wonder Woman in a mid-act battle. Dr. Cyber in a physical cybernetic body fights Wonder Woman for the end battle.

End Credit scene - Diana, Steve, and Etta are celebrating as Barbara looks at a book hinting at either Circe or Urzkataga.

Costume - This is what I'm most interested in. There's no way they're going for the Gal Gadot costume, so I'm curious about what the next costume will be.

Incredible Member

I think another question is where do you think the Gods will fit in. Will they be incorporated like Perez, Rucka, or Azzarello? Or will they be mostly dead like Jenkins?

Once more, I won't say nothing because Warner is the worst and it really seems like we won't see any more Wonder Woman films this decade. I would be depressing myself.

I'm not sure what to expect at this point, but we probably shouldn't go back into the period piece well.

Incredible Member

They'l probably go with the "early days but not origin" approach they've done with The Batman (and want to do with Superman). For the love of everythign that's sacred, don't use Azzarelo's story...

YARA FLOR
    I think the Gunn-verse will give Diana a rest and swerve a bit to kick off the new universe.
    Yara Flor Wonder Woman had tremendous buzz before she even debuted, Appreciation threads, fan pages etc, just from the concept. The character never delivered on the hype when she made it to the page but there's enough there to make her high profile enough to be ripe for a big screen high profile interpretation.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Incredible Member

If they're doing a hard reboot, it's because they want a clean slate for their bigger, famous-already characters. They aren't going for legacy characters stright away.

I think Diana's origin should still be told in a reboot. A lot was ignored in her first film so seeing her clay birth, the tournament should still be a part of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    YARA FLOR
    I think the Gunn-verse will give Diana a rest and swerve a bit to kick off the new universe.
    Yara Flor Wonder Woman had tremendous buzz before she even debuted, Appreciation threads, fan pages etc, just from the concept. The character never delivered on the hype when she made it to the page but there's enough there to make her high profile enough to be ripe for a big screen high profile interpretation.
    ...yeah that'd be horrible. This is likely a new universe so it would make zero sense to start with Yara. Diana is in her first interpretation. She doesn't need to be phased out yet.

I would prefer that she didn't for the next incarnation personally. I know it makes the most sense, but if they're not using Gal Gadot then I feel like they should really go for something new, and she never really had an accent before the DCEU.

I'm torn on this one. Obviously her origin isn't as ingrained in the public consciousness as Batman's or Superman's, and I'd LOVE to see the Contest on the big screen, but I also feel like we need to keep moving forward and not keep going back to her origins.

Hard yes.

I'm indifferent. Whether she's in her 20s/30s or in her 1000s, it's not something I care particularly about.

I think Deimos and Phobos from Rebirth (but with their outlandish Perez designs) should be the introductory villains. We already had Ares and he was a dud. I'm not opposed to Ares being part of the new movies, but I'd much rather he be like his first Rucka version where he's a scheming villain rather than a final boss type character.

Barbara Minerva should absolutely be prioritized (if not Priscilla Rich) and introduced in the first reboot film as Diana's BFF. What they did to Cheetah was really insulting to the character's legacy as WW's most popular archenemy, so they'll need to make up for it with setting her up big time. She'd be the second film's villain (or the third film's if they really feel like emphasizing her relationship to Diana).

Circe is obviously also a major villain who NEEDS to be in a movie at some point. She makes the most sense for a third film big bad though.

Lastly, Giganta. If I were in the creative process, I would have Wonder Woman vs. Giganta be the opening battle for the new rebooted film. Lack of action was a big criticism for WW84, so why not open the new one with a bang.

Absolutely. I think less emphasis should be placed on Steve, however, and their romance should blossom a bit more subtly. It'd be great to see a woman of color playing Etta this time too.

If they're able to do him justice and not have him look like a CGI mess, Ferdinand should also be one of the major supporting characters.

I think they should take a lot of inspiration from George Perez and Greg Rucka, though I'd love to see the gods depicted as they are in Historia.

Anything else?

No overuse of the sword - the lasso is still Diana's #1 weapon of choice.

Do NOT kill characters off willy nilly. Want Steve to stick around? Keep him alive. Want Aphrodite as Diana's primary god (yes please)? Don't kill all the gods off behind the scenes.

Compassion is key. My biggest fear for Gunn's WW is that she will be a ruthless warrior like the Snyderverse depicted her as. I'm not opposed to her killing as an absolute last resort, but her smashing a generic thug's head into the wall in Justice League was just gross.

Introduce Nubia early on. Nubia is a breakout character in recent years and I think fans would go crazy for a live action version of her. Also, more faithful adaptations of Philippus, Artemis, Menalippe, etc. would be great.

YARA FLOR
    lol

We've had decades of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne films, shows, and video games but two solo films of Diana apparently requires "a rest".

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Now that it is highly likely that WW is getting her first reboot within the next 3-4 years what should it look like?

Anything else?
    Yes to the accent. It’d be intriguing if the Amazons had their own language as well.

Possibly… I’d love to see a proper The Contest storyline play out between Diana and the Amazons and Hippolyta. I could see this all play out in flashbacks though or mentions though, with it playing out in a future HBO Max/Discovery+ (or whatever they end up calling the combined service) series.

Definitely present day.

I think Diana could be “ancient” in the sense that that time affects the immortal Amazons bodies differently. Meaning that Diana’s childhood and adolescence could take thousands of years. (It’s a concept I’ve been playing around with in my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee.)

Ares, Ares’s Children (Phobos, Deimos and Eris) and his earthly agents (Duke of Deception, Lord Conquest, etc.) This allows for introducing the Olympians and can provide a much better depiction of Ares than we got in the first film. I’d keep the gods alive, so they can show up in other films and series and interact and mess with Diana, her supporting characters and her foes in unique ways. I’d introduce or mention the characters of Barbara Minerva and Veronica Cale in a unique way as well as hint a Circe watching the new development of an Amazon appearing in Man’s World.

Yes to Steve Trevor and Etta Candy. I’d keep the basic premise of Steve being a pilot that crashes on Themyscira, but weave in that he’s an intelligence of ARGUS. Weird goings on have been happening in Man’s World (Ares’s handiwork) that’s also being foretold by an Amazon oracle, so there’s alignment between Steve and the need for an Amazon champion. Etta Candy would be a woman Diana meets in Patriarch’s World during her and Steve’s wild adventure to stop Ares. Etta gets caught up in the adventure, holds her own in her own ways, and she and Diana become BFFs.

No new story, so to speak, but new action set pieces and new aspects (twists and turns) of how they get to where they need to in order to stop Ares. This is obviously Marstonian and Perezian, but I have a twist in mind of how it could play out over a couple or three films, while still introducing other Wonder foes.

Anything else?
    The Amazons are an advanced society (compared to the outside world) in terms of science, technology, engineering, etc. and their culture is a mix of where they started as a society and how they’ve improved on it over time.

The Amazons are portrayed as being stronger, more powerful, more resilient, faster, etc. than a peak human.

Use the the clay statue brought to life origin for Diana. It’s mythic and beautiful.

Diana uses the Diana Prince identity to experience life in Patriarch’s World.

Diana uses the Wonder Spin to transform into her costume.

Diana gets her own iconic city (call me WB Discovery!) and we’re given hints as to its history.

Other characters that would get worked into a series of films and television series: Hippolyta, Philippus, Menalippe, Io, Kasia, Mala, Nubia, the Olympians and their children, Urzkartaga, Cheetah, Circe, Myndi Mayer, Donna Troy, Heracles, Veronica Cale, Doctor Cyber, Doctor Psycho, Captain Wonder, Giganta, Silver Swan, Angle Man, Eviless and Villainy Inc., Julia Kapatelis, Vanessa Kapatelis, Doctor Poison, Andros, Ed Indelicato, etc.

(Clearly I have big plans and would use Marston, Perez, Jimenez, Rucka, Simone, and Cloonen and Conrad as source material.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    lol

We've had decades of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne films, shows, and video games but two solo films of Diana apparently requires "a rest".
    I said nothing about Clark and Bruce continuing because this is the Wonder forum. Don't assume. "LOL".
    Under Gunn's stewardship, I think "traditional" takes on any of the Big 3 are likely to be out the window. Superman has already been stated to be a different take on what we've seen. Bruce as Batman is fighting to stay as a standalone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    If they're doing a hard reboot, it's because they want a clean slate for their bigger, famous-already characters. They aren't going for legacy characters stright away.
    Yara's origin isn't, to my knowledge, tied directly to Diana. So she can function as a standalone character.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 12-15-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I said nothing about Clark and Bruce continuing because this is the Wonder forum. Don't assume. "LOL".
    Under Gunn's stewardship, I think "traditional" takes on any of the Big 3 are likely to be out the window. Superman has already been stated to be a different take on what we've seen. Bruce as Batman is fighting to stay as a standalone.

Yara's origin isn't, to my knowledge, tied directly to Diana. So she can function as a standalone character.
    They aren't doing a "different take" on Superman. They're doing a younger take.