Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichAlex1981 View Post
    I’d still want Diana to be long lived and have an accent. She is the DCU’s first Superhero. The Amazons have always been earths first line of defense. And technology and magic look one and the same, they are great scientists etc. Purple Rays all over the place.

I want her connected to the JSA, like with the Justice Society animated movie. Diana is always “That Girl”! But the JSA is more covit ops than outright Superheroes. Carter and Shiera were close friends….They go behind enemy lines during the WW2. I’d add Hitler and the Spear of Destiny, which would lead into…

Diana’s job, the current one she has in the movies and Argus to be something she helped develop, like SHIELD with Peggy Carter. She helps retrieve mystical dangerous artifacts over the years where she will eventually meet her best friends Barbara Minerva, Etta and Steve (slow build to the romance with Steve, they are obviously into each other but no deep romance after knowing each other five seconds like in the current movies)

I want Donna shown as a young girl when Diana initially leaves the island. Time moves different on Themyscira. I want it clear that Donna looks up to Diana and have Diana loves Donna more than anything. If Diana is a product of a union between Hippolyte and Zeus then I think Donna should have the clay origin transferred to her. Hippolyte releasing how lonely Diana is growing up she asks the Gods to give her another Daughter so Diana won’t be alone, Zeus declines, clearly because most of the time his children are problematic, but the rest of the Goddesses agree so Hippolyte and Diana offer parts of their souls to create Donna. Though Diana is a young goddess, this would make Donna demigod and truly connected to Hippolyte and Diana as daughter and sister.

With the JSA gone, Diana doesn’t walk away, but she’s probably much more active in the background of world history until The Superman appears…..

Etc etc.
    She's never been DC's first superhero though, and giving her that status has never been beneficial to her or to Superman. It will undermine the impact of his arrival because she gets all the fanfare, or more likely them come up with some unconvincing reason why she DIDN'T have much impact and acted low-key so as to give Superman his big entrance.

They need to be peers and debut around the same time if we are still doing the shared universe route. It's the only way to pay proper respect to both of them at the same time. If they go with the unnecessary model of having her with the JSA, someone between her or Clark is going to get screwed over. It will most likely be her, but ideally it shouldn't be either.

Astonishing Member

Should Diana have an accent?

Depends on the actress. I have no strong opinion on this either way.

Should we get Dianas origin?

If its flashbacks or exposition, maybe. But I don't want the origin to be the focus of the film.

My general idea is that Diana was on Man's World before, during WW2 and some of the subsequent decades. She was then killed and, fairly recently, resurrected (this is a way to have both origins count - originally she's the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus - after her death, Hippolyta recreated her in clay which was blessed by the goddesses to resurrect her).

I'd have her show up in a Justice League film as her return to Man's World for the first time since her resurrection, and the solo movie picks up sometime after that with her established as a public superhero and Amazon ambassador in present-day Man's World.

Should it be set in present day?

Absolutely.

How "ancient" should Diana be?

Thousands of years old, but young relative to the other Amazons of course.

Who should be the villain?

I kinda want Veronica Cale as the Big Bad, with an assemblage of other villains working for her. It'd be great to have a woman as the main villain of a WW movie for once!

Should Steve/Etta be featured?

Etta yes (base her off the New 52 version, and have her be a descendant of the more classic version whom Diana knew back during WW2).

Steve...I'd give him a rest for the first film at least. The way I see it, Diana knew Steve back during WW2 (he's the reason she left the island the first time round) and he died at some point. Down the line, she learns he's been resurrected/reincarnated in the present-day and is now an ARGUS agent.

Any particular story they should adapt?

Greg Rucka's work would be a great starting point.

Anything else?

In general, I want more of an advanced tech/science aspect to the next Wonder Woman film, rather than just focusing on the mystical aspect - which is why I want Veronica Cale as the villain. I also want Themyscera depicted as a technologically advanced utopia and not just like something out of Ancient Greece.

I'd avoid the sword.

Ideally the suit should look more like the classic comic versions...maybe with some stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Man I don’t even think they’ve read that panel, they’re just going “well she’s a Greek demigod right? Kratos is that and he’s cool, she should be more like Kratos!”, same reasoning for why they want the WW game to be a reskin of GoW.

That said I did see some casuals saying they don’t want WW fighting “humans” anymore, just Greek mythological monsters and gods. What a boring take.

Man I don’t even think they’ve read that panel, they’re just going “well she’s a Greek demigod right? Kratos is that and he’s cool, she should be more like Kratos!”, same reasoning for why they want the WW game to be a reskin of GoW.

That said I did see some casuals saying they don’t want WW fighting “humans” anymore, just Greek mythological monsters and gods. What a boring take.
    I'm sorry, has ANYONE played to new GOW series? I have, and the direction of Kratos as a character is a far cry from the one note revenge filled brutal warrior that love murder and cruelty. Frankly after all the success the new games have gotten, I implore a GOW type game.

Because Diana fighting humans is so entertaining...
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

This is what happens when the movies are about her fighting Ares or Circe, instead of expanding on her own unique lore and characters and making them known ro the world

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post

What exactly is your argument here? That her fighting villains that aren't from greek myth id boring? Because that's what people were talking about
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-18-2022 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    This is what happens when the movies are about her fighting Ares or Circe, instead of expanding on her own unique lore and characters and making them known ro the world

What exactly is your argument here? That her fighting villains that aren't from greek myth id boring? Because that's what people were talking about
    Yes, god forbid we make her films about... her first villain and the reason she leaves the island and the other villain that's in her top 3.

No, it wasn't.

Every now and again I'm reminded that some people want a Diana who is an amazon and blessed by literal Greek Gods, but doesn't do anything with that mythology, so it begs why she should be an amazon. Like, make a different character, sorry not sorry. Diana is STEEPED in myth, deal with it.

I'm sorry, has ANYONE played to new GOW series? I have, and the direction of Kratos as a character is a far cry from the one note revenge filled brutal warrior that love murder and cruelty. Frankly after all the success the new games have gotten, I implore a GOW type game.

They’re not asking for her to be like Kratos in terms of being more nuanced, they’re asking for her to brutally kill monsters the way Kratos does. The new Kratos is a much more likable character but he is of the Sad Dad archetype. He’s just a world weary depressed dude who finds value in raising an innocent - his son - to not be a monster like he was. It’s a very entertaining and good story but that’s not Diana. Maybe as an Elseworld story where Diana has completely failed in her mission and is raising a daughter to do better that kind of take could work, but not for a mainline heroine Wonder Woman.
    Every now and again I'm reminded that some people want a Diana who is an amazon and blessed by literal Greek Gods, but doesn't do anything with that mythology, so it begs why she should be an amazon. Like, make a different character, sorry not sorry. Diana is STEEPED in myth, deal with it.
    I want Circe for the next WW movie and she’s my favorite WW villain, I don’t at all mind the connections to Greek Myth. But limiting WW to only Greek Myth does her no favors. Batman can be street level and deal with gangsters, he can be psychological thriller and match wits with sociopaths, he can be Gothic horror and travel through time to thwart the machinations of an evil Bat God. Spider-Man can struggle to pay rent and also save the Multiverse. Putting WW in a box the way some want and make her just about Greek Myths doesn’t benefit her.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

They’re not asking for her to be like Kratos in terms of being more nuanced, they’re asking for her to brutally kill monsters the way Kratos does. The new Kratos is a much more likable character but he is of the Sad Dad archetype. He’s just a world weary depressed dude who finds value in raising an innocent - his son - to not be a monster like he was. It’s a very entertaining and good story but that’s not Diana. Maybe as an Elseworld story where Diana has completely failed in her mission and is raising a daughter to do better that kind of take could work, but not for a mainline heroine Wonder Woman.

I want Circe for the next WW movie and she’s my favorite WW villain, I don’t at all mind the connections to Greek Myth. But limiting WW to only Greek Myth does her no favors. Batman can be street level and deal with gangsters, he can be psychological thriller and match wits with sociopaths, he can be Gothic horror and travel through time to thwart the machinations of an evil Bat God. Spider-Man can struggle to pay rent and also save the Multiverse. Putting WW in a box the way some want and make her just about Greek Myths doesn’t benefit her.
    Oh, they're specifically asking for Diana to brutally kill monsters exactly like Kratos or do they see how successful, well written, entertaining, and fun the GOW games are and want her to follow suit? I think people, like myself, just want an awesome combat system for the amazon warrior goddess tbh. I think people would be aware in the differences in brutality between the two characters, no one would actually want to see Diana kill people the way old Kratos did back in the Greek games. I am mean jeez, Diana has killed hordes of demons and monsters before, most as brainless and ravenous as the ones Kratos kills.... now it's an issue? I fear for Monolith's game now lol

Are people just ignoring the fact that that tweet was because in both films Diana fought regular ass dudes with guns... enemies she can and has delt with blindfolded. Ares was like what 5mins in the end, Max had the wind, and I don't want to talk about cheapah lol. This is once again unsurprisingly about power levels; people want to see Diana regularly fight things worth her weight class, and regular ass humans don't cut it. This isn't about keeping her in myth, not that it's a major problem to me.

This is not aimed at anyone...

I'm sorry but I just twitter searched 'wonder woman Greek monsters' and at this point now consider any and all anti-mythology takes micro gatekeeping. I'll say it again, every now and again I'm reminded that some people want a Diana who is an amazon and blessed by literal Greek Gods, but doesn't do anything with that mythology, so it begs why she should be an amazon. Like, make a different character, sorry not sorry. Diana is STEEPED in myth, deal with it.

NONE of this means I don't want to see Diana's golden age villains revamped/adapted or to lose her syfy influences and alien threats.

But this inching towards 'you're not a real wonder woman fan if you like her Greek myth influences' does not sit right with me. There is a buffet of audience members and fans that love mythology and gods and monster who like to think that Diana is that character for them to explore that part of DC. They see Batman as the grounded street leveler, Superman as the alien space adventurer, and Diana as the amazon mythology warrior. Again, it does not mean she should or will be derivative of others in that genre or that it's the only area she occupies, but her most notable. And I honestly don't know how you look at that general mindset and not take advantage of it... like 'oh there's a LOT of people that seem interested in Diana using more mythology in her stories and would pay money for that, let's not do anything with that.'

I don't want nor am I asking for Nu52 WW, I want supergiant's Hades mixed with classic wondy messages.

Yeah, mythology is a critical part of Wonder Woman. But you know what is boring? Rehashing the same cookie-cutter beats over and over.
    "What if Diana fought Medusa because Medusa is EVIL?!"
    "What if the Greek gods were...now stay with me, this is out there...kind of dicks that use and manipulate Diana?"
    "What if Diana fought a centaur because I can't be arsed to put any effort into this?"

Of course there are people on Twitter insisting Wonder Woman should be like Kratos because those people have the most vanilla vision of her character.
    "Wonder Woman is Greek myth. Hey...you know what else is Greek myth? That stupid video game! Therefore that's what Wonder Woman should be like! I'm a genius!"

As I said, before Kratos it was Xena.
    "Hey...Xena does Greek myth! And she's a woman! It all make sense!"

If Wonder Woman's primary gimmick is mythology--and it is, I don't think anyone's really denying that--emphasize it in the stuff she already has.

Clea...a mad queen from Atlantis. What's Atlantis? Greek mythology.
    Osira...alien that was worshiped as a goddess in ancient Egypt. A woman with mystical power claiming to be a god. Mythology with a sci-fi angle.
    Cheetah...cursed by an evil god. More mythology.
    Gundra...Valkyries come from myth.
    Zara...a lunatic claiming to worship the Crimson Flame. Cults, false gods, mysticism.
    Devastation...created by Titans to be an anti-Wonder Woman. Back to Greek mythology.
    Hell, didn't one of the attempted revamps of Egg-Fu re-imagine him as Ygg-Fu-Thrackbach-Whatever? A Lovecraftian, eldritch abomination from beyond time and space. Mythology with a cosmic horror bent.

That's what I mean when they shouldn't use Greek mythology as a free idea bucket. Or more accurately...a crutch rather than a springboard or foundation. Wonder Woman already has plenty of interesting takes on gods and the mythic already.
    That's what I want to see more of. Not another variation of "Zeus is a dick and Hera's acting crazy again!"
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 12-18-2022 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    For those that would only want a Diana w/accent if the actress has one...what do you all think of the Black Panther cast and their accents?
    Wakanda was inspired by RL African cultures. I have seen some African viewers criticize the movie for having a hodgepodge of various African cultures. The accents were done accurately for the most part.

But Themyscira is way more removed from the real world than Wakanda is. Themyscira is more comparable to Asgard where everyone talked in Shakesperean English and even after they dropped that both Hemsworth and Hiddleston infuse their real accents into the dialogue so that Thor and Loki always sounds different from everyone.

Diana and the Amazons wouldn't sound Greek either but I think they can study accents from the region to find the one that fits best.

Quote Originally Posted by RichAlex1981 View Post
    IÂ’d still want Diana to be long lived and have an accent. She is the DCUÂ’s first Superhero. The Amazons have always been earths first line of defense. And technology and magic look one and the same, they are great scientists etc. Purple Rays all over the place.

I want her connected to the JSA, like with the Justice Society animated movie. Diana is always “That Girl”! But the JSA is more covit ops than outright Superheroes. Carter and Shiera were close friends….They go behind enemy lines during the WW2. I’d add Hitler and the Spear of Destiny, which would lead into…

DianaÂ’s job, the current one she has in the movies and Argus to be something she helped develop, like SHIELD with Peggy Carter. She helps retrieve mystical dangerous artifacts over the years where she will eventually meet her best friends Barbara Minerva, Etta and Steve (slow build to the romance with Steve, they are obviously into each other but no deep romance after knowing each other five seconds like in the current movies)

I want Donna shown as a young girl when Diana initially leaves the island. Time moves different on Themyscira. I want it clear that Donna looks up to Diana and have Diana loves Donna more than anything. If Diana is a product of a union between Hippolyte and Zeus then I think Donna should have the clay origin transferred to her. Hippolyte releasing how lonely Diana is growing up she asks the Gods to give her another Daughter so Diana wonÂ’t be alone, Zeus declines, clearly because most of the time his children are problematic, but the rest of the Goddesses agree so Hippolyte and Diana offer parts of their souls to create Donna. Though Diana is a young goddess, this would make Donna demigod and truly connected to Hippolyte and Diana as daughter and sister.

With the JSA gone, Diana doesnÂ’t walk away, but sheÂ’s probably much more active in the background of world history until The Superman appearsÂ…..

Etc etc.
    The clay origin has been Diana's origin for 70+ years, I don't think it should be replaced because of one polarizing reboot. Diana's a mythological woman, Donna is a human empowered by the culture that adopted her. I would rather they maintain that consistency instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

We had a grand total of one movie where she fought Ares and she acted nothing like Kratos. The second one had a guy who isn't part of her rogues gallery as the main antagonist, while the secondary antagonist was a take on Cheetah that had more in common with Tim Burton's Catwoman than any version from the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Yeah, mythology is a critical part of Wonder Woman. But you know what is boring? Rehashing the same cookie-cutter beats over and over.
    "What if the Greek gods were...now stay with me, this is out there...kind of dicks that use and manipulate Diana?"
    "What if Diana fought a centaur because I can't be arsed to put any effort into this?"

Of course there are people on Twitter insisting Wonder Woman should be like Kratos because those people have the most vanilla vision of her character.
    "Wonder Woman is Greek myth. Hey...you know what else is Greek myth? That stupid video game! Therefore that's what Wonder Woman should be like! I'm a genius!"

If Wonder Woman's primary gimmick is mythology--and it is, I don't think anyone's really denying that--emphasize it in the stuff she already has.

Osira...alien that was worshiped as a goddess in ancient Egypt. A woman with mystical power claiming to be a god. Mythology with a sci-fi angle.
    Zara...a lunatic claiming to worship the Crimson Flame. Cults, false gods, mysticism.
    Devastation...created by Titans to be an anti-Wonder Woman. Back to Greek mythology.
    Hell, didn't one of the attempted revamps of Egg-Fu re-imagine him as Ygg-Fu-Thrackbach-Whatever? A Lovecraftian, eldritch abomination from beyond time and space. Mythology with a cosmic horror bent.

That's what I mean when they shouldn't use Greek mythology as a free idea bucket. Or more accurately...a crutch rather than a springboard or foundation. Wonder Woman already has plenty of interesting takes on gods and the mythic already.
    That's what I want to see more of. Not another variation of "Zeus is a dick and Hera's acting crazy again!"
    I'd say Diana has more in common with Xena in terms of personality than she does with Kratos. Hell, Xena was doing the former warmonger turned good guy thing before Kratos went in that direction.

Anyway, yeah, I agree a general mythology and fantasy take on WW works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Gundra...Valkyries come from myth.

I agree with you, I think Diana's post-crisis (Perez and Rucka takes) takes on Greek myth is probably the best I've seen. Shockingly accurate with a modern progressive lens that we see with Diana's POV. And I want all those villains you listed to be explored. Ironically, Rucka and Perez did all the things you listed as vanilla and cookie-cutter.

However, what I bolded is the beginnings of the brainstorming of an idea. Twitter and gamer dudes who make YouTube videos trying to use GOW as a base template for Diana via game or story does not mean they want a mod that that just puts Diana in as Kratos. They just want a solid combat system and cool enemies to fight within a compelling story. This where good writers come in and gives them what they want but that follows Diana's character. No, she isn't going to be gutting some poor defenseless animal or person because of 'rage' or 'revenge' that's not her. She would supplex a Dragon or something, idk. But the people are just asking her to do the cool moves and fight the cool things that someone like her would do. It's just twitter and youtube, they aren't going to make a thread or 40 min video going to the specifics of what they mean when they say, 'I hope Diana's game is like that new GOW'.