Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The first comic I ever read was Superboy & the Legion.

For me, KAL fits equally with the Legion as he does with the JLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I loved this story. And it had some serious ramifications in the Legion's own title at the time. I wish the TPB would go back in print.
    I really liked this story as well, except for how they rebooted Dev-Em. I would have preferred if they'd just used a different name.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

1973 7-11 Cups.

!973LSHcups.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    1973 7-11 Cups.

!973LSHcups.jpg
    How incredibly cool. Would love to have the whole set of those.

Extraordinary Member

What was your favorite LSH line-up. The ultimate "____ was still there but ____ hadn't joined yet" line-up.

Mine: even though the writing left a lot to be desired, my favorite is the post-Superboy departure but before Invisible Kid II joined.

Lightning Lad
    Cosmic Boy
    Saturn Girl
    Duo Damsel
    Phantom Girl
    Chameleon Boy
    Colossal Boy
    Ultra Boy
    Star Boy
    Shrinking Violet
    Sun Boy
    Bouncing Boy
    Mon-El
    Element Lad
    Light Lass
    Dream Girl
    Projectra
    Karate Kid
    Shadow Lass
    Timber Wolf
    Wildfire
    Tyroc
    Dawnstar
    Blok

Incredible Member

I wonder which version of the Legion, Waid will choose and write? And which members do you want to appear in the issue?

SUPERMAN: THE LAST DAYS OF LEX LUTHOR #2

Written by MARK WAID

Art and cover by BRYAN HITCH
    Variant cover by CHRIS SAMNEE
    1:25 variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
    $6.99 US | 48 pages | 2 of 3 | Prestige Plus | 8 1/2″ x 10 7/8″
    (all covers are card stock)
    ON SALE 9/26/23

Superman continues his mission to find a cure for what’s killing Lex Luthor. When the present has no answers, maybe the future will! But will the Legion of Super-Heroes help Clark find a cure for a man like Luthor?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I would start with The Great Darkness Sage - it's the Legion's most popular (and best IMO) story.

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Super-.../dp/B00I3OIG9M

I apologize in advance if this was brought up before, but does anyone remember who Darkseid's dark minions were in this storyline? I remember being blown away as a youngster when I started to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    I apologize in advance if this was brought up before, but does anyone remember who Darkseid's dark minions were in this storyline? I remember being blown away as a youngster when I started to figure it out.
    Are you talking about the stone creatures that were assisting Darkseid? I can’t remember what they were called. Servants? One had the triangle symbol on his chest so it seemed like he was a clone of Superman. One was a Guardian I think. One was a connected to Shadow Lass. I can’t recall the others. One flew on some sort contraption. It was a great reveal as you learned who each was. That was a great story with an actual mystery which was rare back then. Maybe rare now. The scene where they’ve drained Mordru of his powers & he’s left babbling was pretty creepy at the time. I’d read the Legion starting with the Grell era. I’d started to drift a bit in the early 80’s. Pat Broderick did a few issues I remember & Jimmy Janes (?) did several. Seems like I started to buy the book again prior to this epic storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Are you talking about the stone creatures that were assisting Darkseid? I can’t remember what they were called. Servants? One had the triangle symbol on his chest so it seemed like he was a clone of Superman. One was a Guardian I think. One was a connected to Shadow Lass. I can’t recall the others. One flew on some sort contraption. It was a great reveal as you learned who each was. That was a great story with an actual mystery which was rare back then. Maybe rare now. The scene where they’ve drained Mordru of his powers & he’s left babbling was pretty creepy at the time. I’d read the Legion starting with the Grell era. I’d started to drift a bit in the early 80’s. Pat Broderick did a few issues I remember & Jimmy Janes (?) did several. Seems like I started to buy the book again prior to this epic storyline.
    Off the top of my head there was Superman, Orion, Kalibak, and I believe you're right that one was a Guardian. And while I can't remember for certain, I believe like you said the last was an ancestor of Shadow Lass. It was so tragic and so epic, learning that this was a fate that befell at least Superman and Orion.

And I'm struggling with this one, but I'm positive I read a story where Lobo, Firestorm, Barda (?), and a couple others, became servants as well?
    Last edited by Cap808; 06-20-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, all of the servants were as listed above, and they were all clones. Shadow Lass's ancestor was Lydea Mallor -- who was a member of L.E.G.I.O.N. in the late 20th century.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    I wonder which version of the Legion, Waid will choose and write? And which members do you want to appear in the issue?
    This also caught my eye as it's the first appearance of "a" Legion in quite some time. I assume it doesn't really matter which version Waid is going for though, as this Black Label limited series is not in continuity anyway?

The SERVANTS OF DARKNESS

"In the pre-crisis continuity, the Servants were clones animated and corrupted by the power of an amnesic Darkseid, to serve as his prime force until a full recovering of the dark god...
    This team of Servants included clones from: Superman, a Guardian of the Universe, Orion, Kalibak and Lydea Mallor (Shadow Lass' ancestor)."

Who's Who in the SERVANTS OF DARKNESS

And I'm struggling with this one, but I'm positive I read a story where Lobo, Firestorm, Barda (?), and a couple others, became servants as well?
    "In the Post-zero hour continuity (earth-247), the Servants were differents: Instead being clones, a old, defeated Darkseid start using a time travel machine fueled by dark matter to travel to his younger self and steal his own power. The Servants were corrupted versions of heroes taken from the timestream and tortured and twisted in Apokolips until they fell under Darkseid control...
    This alternate team of Servants included doppelgangers of: a young Clark Kent, Firestorm, Big Barda, Green Lantern, Lobo and Orion."

Last edited by Thirteen; 06-21-2023 at 04:40 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    "In the Post-zero hour continuity (earth-247), the Servants were differents: Instead being clones, a old, defeated Darkseid start using a time travel machine fueled by dark matter to travel to his younger self and steal his own power. The Servants were corrupted versions of heroes taken from the timestream and tortured and twisted in Apokolips until they fell under Darkseid control...
    This alternate team of Servants included doppelgangers of: a young Clark Kent, Firestorm, Big Barda, Green Lantern, Lobo and Orion."

Though it doesn't get the same respect as the original, and maybe it's not as good, after all, the surprise factor was not the same, I did like quite a lot this arc of the DnA Legion (with beautiful art by Chris Batista). I have it in TPB, and haven't read it in quite a while, but maybe it's time to give it one more go.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

To this day, I have never been more excited by a comic book than I was Legion of Super Heroes during this time. There was something special with the collaboration between Levitz and Giffen that I've never experienced before or since.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The SERVANTS OF DARKNESS

"In the pre-crisis continuity, the Servants were clones animated and corrupted by the power of an amnesic Darkseid, to serve as his prime force until a full recovering of the dark god...
    This team of Servants included clones from: Superman, a Guardian of the Universe, Orion, Kalibak and Lydea Mallor (Shadow Lass' ancestor)."

Who's Who in the SERVANTS OF DARKNESS

Wow, thank you for this! Who needs to remember math and geometry? As long as I have my vague comic book recollections, I'm happy.