Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

All things considered I don't have much faith for this. Coates superhero work is rather infamously miserably dull.

A good deal of the Black Panther despise his run for the total character assassination he gave to BP and his Captain America run is regarded as fairly boring.

Like sure he's a successful writer and what not, but it comes to superheroes its a pretty poor pedigree being the guy who introduced rape camps to Wakanda and turned it into an awful stereotype of African countries.

Spectacular Member

This movie is in development hell, once James Gunn’s slate is solidified

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Lawrence View Post

Speaking of things that are wild, you are now participating in the legacy of one of the most powerful superhero characters. What can you say about Superman and what the journey has been like for you thus far?

Nothing I can say would be helpful here. Absolutely nothing. Nothing I can say will do anything to improve how this film is ultimately received. I got a big thing: I want people to have their own experience with the art, and I don’t want to step on it. I don’t want them to hear me. I don’t want them to see me. As much as possible, I really don’t want them to see me. I want them to see what we ultimately produce. And so what I’m trying to do is ... I’m not even being coy here.

We live in an era where people — because you have social media and can share so much — the instinct when you’re creating is to let fans in on the process, to let them see where you’re going. And I might could do that after. That might be an aftermath thing I would do, but I do worry about doing injustice to the art.

I just worry that you are, however unintentionally, seeding ideas in people’s head. Now, look, there’s a point where you have trailers and things where I’m going to have to talk about it, but if it were up to me, I wouldn’t say anything ever until it’d been out and seen and consumed and all of that. I don’t want to get in the way. I want Superman to have his chance.

Fair.

I really want him to live. I want him to be greeted. I don’t want me and whatever baggage the narrative of me has to overshadow that. I’ve said things in the past when I was working on things, and I guess this is still true. When I got on Captain America, I wrote about taking on Captain America, and the thing I wrote was, “It’s an opportunity for me to speak, it’s an opportunity for Cap to speak, and it’s an opportunity for me to figure out what this experience is like.” And it’s the same thing here. As much as possible I really would like to recede and hopefully make something that folks feel is worthy.
    Well said.
    Thank you for sharing that interview snippet - that actually goes a little ways toward assuaging my concerns about this project.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Calvis Ellis is such a potent take on the Superman myth, I'd love to see it explored on the big screen. However, calling the character Clark Kent does a diservice to him. Let him be something that is more unique than simply Clark, but with more melatonin. Letting the character have his own distinct name frees him from certain expectations and gives them more freedom to explore new avenues.

That said, Icon & Rocket are right there, but they simply don't have the name recognition that Superman does.

It's surprises me this still is a go on.
    Personally, I prefer a Calvin Ellis movie than a Val-Zod or black Clark Kent movie.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Coates should just turn this project from a Superman movie into an Icon And Rocket movie.

It's such an obvious pick to do the kind of Superman movie he seems to want to do. And Icon, unlike Calvin Ross or Val-Zod, has anchored two ongoing series, so there is often plenty of source material.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Color me surprised.

Like it or not this adds to the headwinds facing Superman Legacy to the extent it keeps alive animosity among Snyderbots, Gunn skeptics and Affleck/Gadot fans - that Gunn is not giving Ben or Gal the Abrams treatment. There was no need to announce this now as, if Superman Legacy underperforms, the Abrams project won't move forward. More bad PR from Gunn/WBD.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 01-24-2024 at 05:10 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Being in development means nothing if the project doesn't have a director and isn't greenlight yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Being in development means nothing if the project doesn't have a director and isn't greenlight yet.
    Exactly! The project won't move forward if SL does just so, so. There is no point in saying anything about it at this time.