Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I always liked Gary Frank's approach to drawing Supes. I remember a quote from him saying once that while Kal should obviously be an incredibly fit individual, his powers don't come from the fact that he's incredibly ripped (although it always was pretty clear that he based his Superman on Christopher Reeves, who more or less fits that exact description).

I think an important thing in casting the part is that you have to cast someone who can play both Superman and Clark, which is what I think my problem was with Cavill. Clearly he cuts a heroic figure, but there was not a single molecule of me that thought he was a convincing Clark Kent.
    Good point about being able to play both Clark and Superman. That's right up there with having uber chemistry with the Lois actress.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to cast the role. With SR it was 7 or 8 months. Presumably they've already started the search, so a spring announcement might happen. The actor will be under the spotlight. It's a tough role to play and add in a segment of the Cavill fanbase who will be critical of the actor no matter whom they choose or how right he is for the part. Listened to a podcast by a Snyder fan and he thinks Superman Legacy and Brave and Bold won't do well as neither Cavill nor Afleck are the lead actors. My guess is that a very small segment of the Cavill fanbase would like to see Superman Legacy bomb so as to vindicate Cavill.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-06-2023 at 04:33 PM.

The guy on the My Review podcast says there are rumors a surprise "appearance" has been added to the end of The Flash. Speculation is it will Batman and specifically the new Batman actor. If true, that means they are far along in casting Batman so it's possible the same is true for Superman. I assumed they'd hold off making the announcement until ComicCon this coming summer but who knows?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I get disappointed with the idea of Superman looking too young or too GQ male modelly. So what sucks for me now is that I know they're looking for young.

It sucks that Superman is so hard to cast so well.
    BatmanPenguinOriginTextFIXEDaba2.jpg
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I get disappointed with the idea of Superman looking too young or too GQ male modelly. So what sucks for me now is that I know they're looking for young.

I prefer a younger Superman. Youth is full of hope and the possibilities are endless. That fits Superman's mythos and, technically, he ages slowly so he should remain forever 21 - actually forever late twenties. That beckoning of youth - check out Reeve and Kidder in S:TM and then in Superman 4. In the latter they have lost chemistry, look sort of tired. That extra bit of magic they had in the first film is gone. There are photos of Cavill now and 10 years ago. Juxtaposed. The younger Cavill looks better. Fresh and "focused". Sharper.

The model (or pretty boy) looks have been a requirement for Superman since Reeve. Indeed, many of the actors have been models (Welling, Christopher, Routh). That has changed with Hoechlin - arguably the second most popular Superman actor after Reeve. When I first saw Hoechlin in the suit I thought no way. This guy looks "off" or plain and certainly not like a pretty boy model. So yeah, it'd be good to see them cast a more ruggedly handsome actor rather than another pretty boy actor.

The role is hard to cast as it is basically two roles but even more so a lot of young up and coming actors don't want to touch the part for fear it will hurt their career.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-09-2023 at 10:32 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    I prefer a younger Superman. Youth is full of hope and the possibilities are endless. That fits Superman's mythos and, technically, he ages slowly so he should remain forever 21 - actually forever late twenties..
    I'm definitely a more "forever 35 yrs old" type myself (and believe the same for Batman).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    The model (or pretty boy) looks have been a requirement for Superman since Reeve.
    There is an unfortunate quantum of truth to this indeed. Reeve I loved, don't get me wrong, he worked.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-09-2023 at 10:43 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

I have this issue with a lot of the Superman action figures as well, which is why one of the only one's I own is the one based off of Darwyn Cooke's design from New Frontier.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.