Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Casting Lois Lane Discussion

Once Clark/Superman is cast Lois Lane is next. A great actress is a given. Known or lesser known? Red hair or not? Those are open questions, but one thing is absolute. They must have on-fire chemistry. Gunn's film needs to recapture the Reeve/Kidder, Christopher/Haiduk and Welling/Durance dynamic. The bantering, the teasing, the laughter. That was not present with Cavill and Adams or with Routh and Bosworth. It is with Hoechlin and Tulloch. Some of the best moments of S&L are when they are together alone enjoying each other. Clark/Lois are the foundation upon which a great Superman film is built. Ideas, hopes, fav actress?

If they were casting an older Clark I'd suggest Amy Acker as Lois, she has long been an actress I wanted in the role. But that would make for a really different dynamic since we're getting a young Clark.
    I don't see why Lois would be a red head again. Amy Adams as a red head Lois was an anomaly that I wouldn't want to see repeated.
    I agree I didn't feel the chemistry with Cavill and Adams. I was hoping Adams would be recast even if Cavill stayed. Don't even get me started on Bosworth. I feel bad for her watching Superman Returns, she seems visibly nervous in the role.
    I don't have anyone in mind right now but it occurs to me there's no reason why Lois even has to be white in a new reboot.

I wouldn't mind going half-asian to play up an idea some alternate tales have used in the past. Other than that, black hair, and do not go for a Kidder look-alike. Not every project does that but others have, and it's jarring more than cool.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Black hair. Preferably straight. Interracial would be good. A lot of it depends on how young they are looking for. Mid-twenties. A big name would be preferred but not necessary. I don't keep track of young actors these days so I don't have any real names lined up.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

I'd love it if they cast someone who can channel the DCAU or early Post-Crisis Lois (mainly because those are some of my favorite versions of the character). Would prefer her to be white, but I'd be okay with her being mixed-race (again, depends on the look of the actress overall and how much she can resemble the comic/animated versions...Zoe Kravitz for instance really captures the look and feel of Selina Kyle, skin color notwithstanding).

Honestly, more than the casting, I'm interested in how they conceptualize and write the character. For instance, I wouldn't mind it if Lois is a few years older than Clark and serves as an early 'mentor' of sorts for him. Or they could be the same age, but she's a prodigy who's already started to make a name for herself as a young reporter (I liked Morrison's idea of Lois being an early success working at the more upscale Daily Planet, and Clark is her friend who's working at the more modest Daily Star but trying to make it to the relatively big leagues like her).

One thing I don't want is for Lois to be mooning after Superman. Yes, she is fascinated by him, impressed by his powers, his courage and his charm, and finds herself falling in love with him. But she's also a professional doing her job and her whole life doesn't revolve around Superman. I want her to have a good relationship with Clark as well (especially if we're going back to the secret identity dynamic) - as friends, friendly rivals, mentor and protegee, love interests or whatever route they go.

Agree on the chemistry...that's a must!

Lois not knowing Clark's secret identity makes for a far more interesting and dynamic premise. It's just plain fun and the next film desperately needs an element of fun. It's one thing to have Lois suspect and quite another to have the secret revealed. L&C tanked in the ratings after Lois learned Clark's secret. I assume Lois will not know the secret in the film.

The banter and witty lines of S:TM were absent in SR, MOS and BvsS. Those types of scenes make a film more intimate and engaging. The rooftop scene with Lois and Superman is a perfect example. Superman lands on the terrace and Lois keeps glancing below his belt. Then later in the interview she asks, "how big are you?" then quickly corrects herself and says "I mean how tall are you?". To pull that off the two acters need great chemistry and timing.

I don't have an actress in mind, but a known, popular actress is the way to go. Especially as it will be difficult, IMO, to find a known young actor willing to take on the role. Given what happens to actors' careers after they play Superman. Reeve, Christopher, Cain, Welling and Routh. Cavill has had the most successful post Superman career, but he is the exception.

The look? Staci Haiduk comes to mind. This photo is from when she was 23 years old. The new actress will be in that age range. If she looks like Staci (and can act), I'll be a happy camper.

GC222222.jpgGC222222.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 12-18-2022 at 06:14 PM.

Rashida Jones

Or

Olivia Munn

Yeah, they're both in their 40s, but can play younger. And Lois has always been older and more established than Clark in my mind.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Rashida Jones

Or

Olivia Munn

Yeah, they're both in their 40s, but can play younger. And Lois has always been older and more established than Clark in my mind.
    Shoot, I think Rashida Jones would absolutely nail the sass, humor, and overall attitude of Lois.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Like Rahida's look. Not familiar with her work though. Again, it's the chemistry and the magic moments a writer and director can create with it. As happened in Superman: TM and Superman 2. That magic was present with Dean and Teri in the first seasons of L&C.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Lois not knowing Clark's secret identity makes for a far more interesting and dynamic premise. It's just plain fun and the next film desperately needs an element of fun.
    Quoted for emphasis. I can appreciate and understand the need to do something different after 50 years, but most moviegoers are new or newish audiences. Triangle for two is not an incidental part of why Superman was such a success, it's an integral part. Stuff like Man of Steel justifiably did something different, but doing something different is fundamentally different from doing something that was proven to work.

Swiss army nerd

Rashida Jones and Olivia Munn are both great calls, but I imagine they'll be casting a little younger. In another world they'd both have been great, I think.

I'd be very tempted to cast Selena Gomez if I didn't think her own celebrity would overshadow the role. She's /great/ in Only Murders in the Building.

I've always had a headcanon that Lois is mixed race, Japanese/South Korean/Filipino, basically somewhere Sam Lane could have been deployed.

Camila Mendes could also be great in the role.
    Last edited by greatmetropolitan; 12-22-2022 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Forgot Mendes!

They'll definitely cast younger. With both well into their 40s I don't see any chance there, considering how young it seems to be that they're looking for with Clark. You have to take that into consideration since they're rather a package deal.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Once Clark/Superman is cast Lois Lane is next. A great actress is a given. Known or lesser known? Red hair or not? Those are open questions, but one thing is absolute. They must have on-fire chemistry. Gunn's film needs to recapture the Reeve/Kidder, Christopher/Haiduk and Welling/Durance dynamic. The bantering, the teasing, the laughter. That was not present with Cavill and Adams or with Routh and Bosworth. It is with Hoechlin and Tulloch. Some of the best moments of S&L are when they are together alone enjoying each other. Clark/Lois are the foundation upon which a great Superman film is built. Ideas, hopes, fav actress?
    I think the chemistry between the thesps is the most important factor.

I'll keep banging the drum for casting a Lois Lane of color (provided the chemistry is there with whomever Live-Action Clark Kent XV ends up being).

Next candidate:

Vanessa Hudgens.
    34 years old (but looks younger).
    Familiar with DC lore thanks to her role on the short-lived TV show "Powerless" set in the DCU.
    Definitely can pull a strong Lois Lane vibe.

If the Lois Lane of Asian Decent notion (started in American Alien, continuing in the upcoming My Adventures With Superman cartoon) continues in the new DCU that Gunn and Saffran are building, then I would nominate

Karen Fukuhara

30 years old (but looks younger), and 5'2" (Lois ain't ever tall in any incarnation).

She is currently on Amazon Prime's The Boys and was Katana in 2016's Suicide Squad (NOT the one Gunn himself directed in 2021).

She'd make a good Lois, IMO.