Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I don't care about hair color at all. Age is variable, since an older Lois can have just as much of a fun dynamic with Clark as one his age. Race can also be variable.

About my only thing is I’d want certified for the character is a sassy, sarcastic, very sharp Lois who’s “hungry” as a reporter, and who might express a healthy appreciation for Superman as a sex symbol (perhaps contrasted with Cat Grant’s more overt “thirst,” and thus coming off as a still-professional in comparison) while having a clearly more sitcom-like, sometimes belligerent unresolved sexual tension with her close and mildly vitriolic friend Clark.

When it comes to her actual relationship with Clark and Superman in detail… we’re not doing any stupid Silver Age bullshit, and instead going hard after the Golden Age, Bronze Age, and Post-Crisis type of relationship:

-First, I’d make the visual differences between Clark and Superman distinct enough that it makes sense she wouldn’t suspect him when no one thinks he has a secret ID (contact lenses, a tan, filming the scenes at different times around the actor getting jacked for the role, background basic white guyswith glasses, maybe even lookalikes or stuntmen). Here, she has a very controlled and distant church of Superman, and starts getting close to Clark.

-Second, when there is proof that Superman has a secret ID, it’s right when she and Clark are getting closer, and when she suspects it, she pretty much immediately knows for sure but can’t prove it, with that creating further belligerent tension with Clark. I’d even have the irony be that Clark was about to tell her, but because she beat him to the punch and now feels insulted and deceived, it sort of causes a mild break-up and cat-and mouse game… but played with in that Lois isn’t selfish enough to let her tricks inconvenience him saving the day, showing a soft spot she still has for him. She may even start to traction out of hating him by helping to cover for him against Luthor.

-Thirdly, eventually they both hit a point where they regret fighting over it, and we get a hilarious transition between their fighting and cat-and-mouse game and just giving into their attraction to each other and desire to trust each other again, and she becomes his confidant again.

And for actresses I’d consider…

Aubrey Plaza
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

About 15 years ago or so, some fan suggested Anne Hathaway as Lois Lane. This was probably around the time of The Devil Wears Prada, and I was totally onboard with that idea. Unfortunately, Hathaway got cast as Selina Kyle, and that probably killed any chance she could play Lois.

I have two 'unconventional' choices. Let me know what you think.

She's towards the younger side (20 y.o), but what do you think of Sadie Sink? If they're going young i would have Clark be as in American Alien or Morrison's street crusader. Between 20-25 years old. So, even though she's very young she would fit in.

sadie-sink-gettyimages-1670617941.jpg

Anyone has seen Stranger Things or Fear Street? Both roles has her playing characters with a mean streak. Lois is a bit like that. I think she could play a fine Lois Lane.

My second option would be Samara Weaving. She's mostly know for horror. But she's charismatic as hell with an underrated sense of humor. I admit that i am kind of partial here. Her roles are just dope.

MAYHEM_7-e1559754708275.jpg

In my opinion the best course of action would be choosing the best Superman/Clark Kent. And then finding the actress with a great chemistry. That was one reason why Margot Kidder is so fondly remembered. I have seen a couple of those auditions. There were other really good actresses. But something about Christopher and Margot just clicked. Those guys had a clear vision. I hope Gunn and Safran have clarity too.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-29-2022 at 12:32 PM.

She's 30 so already it might be off the table, but after seeing the Evil Dead Rise trailer, the girl who plays the sister to the mom character totally has a Lois look.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

OK, hear me out: Naomi Scott

FkHfJe2XwBUwdxc.jpg

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    She's 30 so already it might be off the table, but after seeing the Evil Dead Rise trailer, the girl who plays the sister to the mom character totally has a Lois look.
    Does that mean we'd get Bruce Campbell as Sam Lane?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Ha! I'd maybe let someone try to sell me on that idea.

Also figure instead of just describing the girl I might just have posted a pic, duh.

intro-16728763091.jpg
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It occurs to me that if Superman / Clark Kent is going to be a relative / complete unknown actor, then everyone else may need to be as established as possible to counter-balance.

Who is the most established but still age-appropriate (i.e. if this is only Year 2 Supes, then Lois probably can't be pushing 40 yet) actress who could play Ms. Lane?

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Long as it's not 1978 nostalgia, I'll be fine.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I don't care about hair color at all.
    So if she's blonde....you're fine with it?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    So if she's blonde....you're fine with it?
    Overall, yeah, if she keeps it that way. It’s also, of course one of the easiest shades of hair to dye too.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    It occurs to me that if Superman / Clark Kent is going to be a relative / complete unknown actor, then everyone else may need to be as established as possible to counter-balance.

Who is the most established but still age-appropriate (i.e. if this is only Year 2 Supes, then Lois probably can't be pushing 40 yet) actress who could play Ms. Lane?
    This is true. It likely will be an unknown cast as Supes (sadly, as many young and upcoming actors won't touch the role) so the Lois actress needs to be a draw among film-going audiences. The key will be chemistry. Gunn needs to replicate the magic of the terrace scene with Reeve and Kidder. "How big are you?" That chemistry was missing with Routh and Bosworth and with Cavill and Adams. Without that foundation - forget the villain - Superman Legacy will fail.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-05-2023 at 08:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    This is true. It likely will be an unknown cast as Supes (sadly, as many young and upcoming actors won't touch the role) so the Lois actress needs to be a draw among film-going audiences. The key will be chemistry. Gunn needs to replicate the magic of the terrace scene with Reeve and Kidder. "How big are you?" That chemistry was missing with Routh and Bosworth and with Cavill and Adams. Without that foundation - forget the villain - Superman Legacy will fail.
    As long as there is equal or greater chemistry between Clark and Lois compared to Superman and Lois, I think that's the way to go - but I really don't want emphasis given to the archaic idea of the "triangle for two," just because I think that idea always constrained the romance and put both characters in a much worse light.

I'd have the new Lois screen test for both a Lois openly attracted to and lightly flirting with Superman for fun, then having a subtext laden argument or discussion with Clark that makes it clear that she's starting to more deeply fall for him, and maybe have the idea be that Clark is realizing that and becoming a little frustrated with himself for lying to her.

I just don't want the Kidder and Reeves style romance to remain the idea; it was good for what it was, but what it was wasn't very deep or engaging, and not very useful to both characters.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    As long as there is equal or greater chemistry between Clark and Lois compared to Superman and Lois, I think that's the way to go - but I really don't want emphasis given to the archaic idea of the "triangle for two," just because I think that idea always constrained the romance and put both characters in a much worse light.

I'd have the new Lois screen test for both a Lois openly attracted to and lightly flirting with Superman for fun, then having a subtext laden argument or discussion with Clark that makes it clear that she's starting to more deeply fall for him, and maybe have the idea be that Clark is realizing that and becoming a little frustrated with himself for lying to her.

I just don't want the Kidder and Reeves style romance to remain the idea; it was good for what it was, but what it was wasn't very deep or engaging, and not very useful to both characters.
    I don't get the sense from Gunn that Superman is a priority for WBD going forward. Meaning that there won't necessarily be several Superman films with the Clark/Lois relationship growing through a trilogy as had been the intent with MOS. In that context it's best to keep the relationship flirty and fun in Superman Legacy.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    I don't get the sense from Gunn that Superman is a priority for WBD going forward. Meaning that there won't necessarily be several Superman films with the Clark/Lois relationship growing through a trilogy as had been the intent with MOS. In that context it's best to keep the relationship flirty and fun in Superman Legacy.
    Why do you say that? When asked on twitter back in December he said Superman was probably the biggest priority.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesGunn...0%2Fframe.html