View Poll Results: 3rd book club options

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original run on adjectiveless with Scott Lobdell (Shang-Chi arc to OZT)

5 18.52%
  • Adjectiveless run with Joe Kelly

5 18.52%
  • Uncanny X-Men run with Kieron Gillen

11 40.74%
  • Excalibur with Warren Ellis

3 11.11%
  • Starjammers with Ellis

0 0%
  • Bishop Mini series

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-forums Book Club Round 3

Hello everyone, I've got the poll up. Sorry this has dragged on still, this time of year is just so busy at work and home I feel like I'm more of a lurker on the forums than a participant. Anyways, lets get the votes going and we can enjoy some X-goodness featuring Mr. Pacheco!

Edit: I just copied and pasted the options from the last thread. If we choose a run that is more than 1 arc, we can either go all in or settle on just one arc. I'm not to familiar with most of these runs so odds are it will be a first time read for me.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

Its Lobdell's original run for me. Especially if this would be a first time read for other people too. It served as the basis for so many iconic dynamics like Bobby and Rogue's friendship and his unconventional and hard to define 'frenemy' dynamic with Emma, Bishop and Remy's slowburn transition from mutually distrustful teammates to begrudgingly respectful of each other, etc, etc.

Plus if this includes the Onslaught saga, there's a ton of story in this era that's relevant to a lot of the current era's storylines: Mikhail Rasputin was the one who originally kicked off the expansion of Bobby's powerset and the issue where Emma ends up in his body and basically tries to kill herself while in it after she finds out what happened to the Hellions....oof. Actually I'm not sure Lobdell wrote that issue, it might have been Howard Mackie who filled in here and there on single issues scattered throughout Lobdell's run, but its still fundamental to that run.

This era would also include the original storyline where Dark Beast switched places with 616's Hank without anyone realizing it for awhile, it had Cannonball's iconic fight with Gladiator, the first time the Juggernaut started toeing the line between outright villain and sorta maybe antihero, Legion Quest would be a great background on David for people only familiar with him from Legion of X, the first major appearance of the Phalanx was smack dab in the center of this run along with the introduction of characters like Monet and Synch, etc.

And on the offchance Slott's departure from Fantastic Four is leading to an undoing of the Franklin retcon, the Onslaught saga is a strong case for Franklin having bonds and a place within the mutant community after all, if they want to reverse course on that. Also it was a great storyline for anyone wanting to see instances of the FF, Avengers and X-Men all working side by side with mutual respect and appreciation for each other.

Anyway, I tend to take it for granted that most readers are familiar with the specifics of Lobdell's run and it never really occurred to me that's not necessarily the case, lol, so just dropping some context for those unaware of what storylines trace back to this. The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing just how many of the current storylines or elements have at least some connection to this run or got their start in it.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I voted for the Joe Kelly run because it doesn't get talked about nearly enough.

i voted joe kelly too. It was a pretty good run imo.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I think we should end the poll after Christmas so 12/26. Gives everyone a few more days plus we get through the holiday. Everyone good with that?

Sounds good to me. I do have to say though i voted Kelly but that shang chi arc with wolverine and Storm was a damn good story and how i got into shang chi or rather why he is on my radar. lmao.and operation zero tolerance is one of my fave events. But those memories are almost clear when i think about them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Okay so Uncanny X-Men by Gillen and Pacheco it is.

Does anyone know the exact issues we are going to be reading? Thanks in advance. I remember this run being why i thought he would be perfect to join the krakoan age as a lot of his ideas are in what we are reading now.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Does anyone know the exact issues we are going to be reading? Thanks in advance. I remember this run being why i thought he would be perfect to join the krakoan age as a lot of his ideas are in what we are reading now.
    1-3, 9-10 and 20 I think
    Last edited by rhaenylis; 12-30-2022 at 02:12 AM.

According to Marvel Unlimited, he wrote issues 1-20, including the AvX stuff.

Edit: Also 532-544. Which run are we talking about here?

Edit again: Never mind, forgot to cross reference by Pacheco.
    Last edited by Arachne; 12-30-2022 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    According to Marvel Unlimited, he wrote issues 1-20, including the AvX stuff.

Edit: Also 532-544. Which run are we talking about here?

Edit again: Never mind, forgot to cross reference by Pacheco.
    Thank you, i really appreciate the time you put in to give us the issues. Yay Bookclub. ^_^
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Your welcome, but it didn't take much time. I just had to look up Gillen and filter by series. Marvel Unlimited is lousy at knowing which characters are in which issues, but it's pretty good with creators.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Your welcome, but it didn't take much time. I just had to look up Gillen and filter by series. Marvel Unlimited is lousy at knowing which characters are in which issues, but it's pretty good with creators.
    Even if it was a second, you didn't have to do it. As i'm thinking of the issues i'm now starting to open the vault and remember certain scenes. Like wasn't colossus bald at this time. LOL
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Will there be a readthrough thread again? I read issue #1 but I can get down my thoughts in a notebook until we're ready.

Feel free to post your thoughts on issue one here. We do it as an issue by issue review format.