Extraordinary Member

Default Forged by Rucka, Trautmann and Henderson

Forged #1 Preview
    Writers: Greg Rucka and Eric Trautmann
    Artist: Mike Henderson

It’s been a while, but The Old Guard co-creator Greg Rucka is headed back to comics with a new Image Comics series launching in March 2023 — and this one might be the most metal space opera you can imagine.

Forged, the new series co-written by Rucka and his Lazarus X+66 collaborator Eric Trautmann, with art by Nailbiter’s Mike Henderson, is set in what the publisher describes as “the 11th Millennium of the rule of the Eternal Empress.” But there’s more to this title than just following the elite soldiers discovering that their world isn’t what they expected it to be. Image also describes the series as “an over-the-top pulp adventure of sex, violence, and sci-fi inspired by Conan, Heavy Metal, and other comics you tried to hide from your parents,” which pretty much makes it sound like the best comic of 2023 even before the year has started.

Image’s official description of the first issue looks like this:

“In the 11th Millennium of the rule of the Eternal Empress, a squad of planet-smashing super soldiers find their routine mission to be anything but. These are the Forged. They take no prisoners. Written by Greg Rucka & Eric Trautmann and brought to the page by Mike Henderson, embark upon an over-the-top pulp adventure of sex, violence, and sci-fi inspired by Conan, Heavy Metal, and other comics you tried to hide from your parents.”

About the project Rucka says, “Eric Trautmann and I have been chasing this story for years now, driven by the desire to tell an over-the-top story space opera/pulp mash-up... We had it all in our heads, but it wasn’t until Mike came aboard and added his secret sauce that we could pin it down and make it finally happen. His storytelling is glorious, and with Nolan’s inspired colors and Ariana’s deft touch with the lettering, we finally have a package we’re excited to share. This is meant to be fun, front to back, that’s been our goal since we started.”

“We started batting ideas around for Forged what feels like a thousand years ago, so it's extremely gratifying to see it now,” agrees Trautmann. “Mike's special alchemy has led to what we think is a hell of a fun project, full of pedal-to-the-floor action, exotic locations, and extremely explodey violence… fun for the whole family."

So, what brought Henderson to the project? To hear him tell it, it’s the strength of the concept behind the series. “There are some ideas you put everything else on hold for and when I heard what Greg and Eric had had brewing for so long in Forged, I knew it was one of them,” he raves. “When I knew Nolan and Ariana had also come aboard to help make it what it's become, I knew it for sure. It's been so much fun to build this universe in the orbit of their idea that I hope I pass that fun on to everyone who reads it. If nothing else, I hope they hear heavy metal riffs shredding over every page."

(An added benefit for format junkies: at just over 8 inches by just over 10 inches, each issue will be larger than a regular comic, and seem more like the Heavy Metal/Eurocomics fantasy that it’s drawing its inspiration from. Surely I’m not the only one unreasonably excited about that?)

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Wow, March cannot get here fast enough!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Out this week.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

But... yes, but... what about Lazarus!?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    But... yes, but... what about Lazarus!?
    Listening to a podcast with Rucka, looks like the final arc of 12 issues is shooting to start next year. (We've heard that before.) The Forged is apparently on a much faster track - 3 issues monthly, then three months to release the trade with a month on either side, then the next 3 issues in three months, so on.

We'll see, though. Rucka and Trautmann both say "I've gotten so much slower at writing." And Black Magick and Lazarus both clearly show the consequences of that.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I like Rucka, but the sparse "talking heads" art turns me off. Pass on giving them my $6.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!