View Poll Results: Do you think someone other than MJ could be THE love interest?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, MJ could be replaced

34 28.57%
  • No, MJ can never be replaced

85 71.43%
Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Apparently he did not know prior to writing Sins Past. Right after JRJR left the book is when he found out.
    Thanks for the correction, Sins Past was around 2004, and OMD came out in 2007 (it was supposed to have come out even earlier than it did in that year but there were delays), so he had three and a bit years of advance knowledge

Astonishing Member

A divorce would still leave you with the problem of why two compatible people in a healthy relationship are breaking up. You would have to get them there in a way that isn't out of character (i.e. one of them cheating or suddenly acting like a different person).

I don't think there is a believable reason for why it would happen.
    There are lots of reasons why two compatible people can not end up together. Getting attacked by enemies is one reason.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    There are lots of reasons why two compatible people can not end up together. Getting attacked by enemies is one reason.
    MJ, and many other long-term comic book love interests, can handle it just fine. Way too late to make this argument.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Happened over and over again, and it didn't cause them to split up.

If Kraven's Last Hunt, Marvel Knights, and everything in Civil War didn't split them up... why would enemy attacks split them up now?

It would still be out of character.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, a lot of the time, even a writer trying to write a single superhero who’s only a serial monogamist is going to end up making most “serious love interests” prove durable enough to take the pressure of the life. Not all, mind you; Silver St. Cloud in Batman is a classic example of using “the life” to end a romance… but most will prove themselves made of sterner stuff.

And any longer term lover interest will likely see several instances of that, and probably even reach a point of casualness with it.

Mary Jane’s gone through so much that it just doesn’t feel like she could be scared off.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Apparently he did not know prior to writing Sins Past. Right after JRJR left the book is when he found out.
    Were they waiting for JRJR to leave before springing that on him? Because if not, interesting coincidence.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Were they waiting for JRJR to leave before springing that on him? Because if not, interesting coincidence.
    I honestly don't know. I know the JMS was going to leave earlier too (around the same time as JRJR or right after), but they asked him to stay on a bit longer.

I honestly don't know. I know the JMS was going to leave earlier too (around the same time as JRJR or right after), but they asked him to stay on a bit longer.
    A shame. If they'd left together, it would have left the run on an overall high note. The only worry is who they would have gotten to fill in until One More/Brand New Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    A shame. If they'd left together, it would have left the run on an overall high note. The only worry is who they would have gotten to fill in until One More/Brand New Day.
    Quesada probably would have done OMD by himself. He was committed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Quesada probably would have done OMD by himself. He was committed to it.
    Likely, yeah.

IMO no. This is why any new interest they’ve tried to introduce has fallen flat with people. They’re going to be overshadowed the marriage of Peter and MJ. At most you get a fling that everyone knows will lead to nothing.

Astonishing Member

Where did you hear this?

It makes sense since Ezekiel's death does feel like a conclusion to his run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Where did you hear this?

It makes sense since Ezekiel's death does feel like a conclusion to his run.
    I think he mentioned it in an interview. Way back.

Yeah, Ezekiel's death was all he had initially planned.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    IMO no. This is why any new interest they’ve tried to introduce has fallen flat with people. They’re going to be overshadowed the marriage of Peter and MJ. At most you get a fling that everyone knows will lead to nothing.
    An established character as a love interest could work if the writers take the time to develop their friendship first and foremost. Allow the character's background and shared interest to develop with supporting cast and rogues. A good example is Jennifer Walters whose supporting cast and rogues would fit in well in Parker's world and vice versa. The main reason why MJ works well with Peter is because the writers took the time to develop their relationship over a long period of time before the romance kicked in.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    An established character as a love interest could work if the writers take the time to develop their friendship first and foremost. Allow the character's background and shared interest to develop with supporting cast and rogues. A good example is Jennifer Walters whose supporting cast and rogues would fit in well in Parker's world and vice versa. The main reason why MJ works well with Peter is because the writers took the time to develop their relationship over a long period of time before the romance kicked in.
    You keep suggesting this but its never going to happen, not with two different characters under the control of two entirely separate Editorial Offices and definitely not with the amount of time it would take to lay the groundwork for an undertaking of that magnitude, you are talking about having two Editorial Offices share joint custody of Spider-Man and whatever superhero you are trying to pair him with for over the course of twenty years or more, supposing such an endeavor even survives all of the editorial and creative disputes that would undoubtedly happen along the way, it's unrealistic and a waste of time...especially when you have Mary Jane right there! There is no need to forcefully shove a square peg into a round hole when you already have the perfect match.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 12-31-2022 at 04:24 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker