View Poll Results: Do you think someone other than MJ could be THE love interest?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, MJ could be replaced

34 28.57%
  • No, MJ can never be replaced

85 71.43%
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Huh, wasn't aware of the Roy Thomas bit.
    Here's the interview with Romita - and it also talks about the Terry and the Pirates storyline, for people who want to know more about that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Here's the interview with Romita - and it also talks about the Terry and the Pirates storyline, for people who want to know more about that.
    Thank you.
    --jthree

If you are going to have someone to take her place it needs to be done in such a way that people can accept it, whether its someone like Felicia or Silver Sable or some random woman, if it is not executed well than then the replacement would be pointless.

BANNED

Personally, at least for me, the answer is a strong No. It goes beyond just Peter and MJ have already had so much development as a couple. It comes down to that they have been shown to be the perfect pair. Other love interests just haven't had that same chemistry. I really liked Carlie, but not as Peter's girlfriend. I felt that other than being Science Nerds they didn't really have that much in common. You can try and develop someone else he has chemistry with, but the perfect character for that role already exists and for my money can never be replaced. Not really. They'll always gravitate back to each other no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Personally, at least for me, the answer is a strong No. It goes beyond just Peter and MJ have already had so much development as a couple. It comes down to that they have been shown to be the perfect pair. Other love interests just haven't had that same chemistry. I really liked Carlie, but not as Peter's girlfriend. I felt that other than being Science Nerds they didn't really have that much in common. You can try and develop someone else he has chemistry with, but the perfect character for that role already exists and for my money can never be replaced. Not really. They'll always gravitate back to each other no matter what.
    Yeah, as I said before... I liked Lily Hollister BECAUSE she was in a romance plot... that wasn't Spider-Man. It'd have been dumb if she'd been trying to hook up with Pete. Menace vs Spider-man was more than enough reason for Lily to be in the book... Lily and Pete as a couple is a terrible idea.

Astonishing Member

It just never felt special to me. Of course that could easily be because I don’t really care about romance.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 05-04-2023 at 06:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It just never felt special to me. Of course that could easily because I don’t really care about romance.
    I'm definitely a romantic at heart, have been most of my life, and truth be told I think Peter/MJ is the first romance I ever really liked way back as a kid. They're special to me, so I admit that I'll always think they're end game regardless of the status quo or however many shakeups come their way.

I'm definitely a romantic at heart, have been most of my life, and truth be told I think Peter/MJ is the first romance I ever really liked way back as a kid. They're special to me, so I admit that I'll always think they're end game regardless of the status quo or however many shakeups come their way.
    Same. The first super-couple I can remember liking. I didn't even mind Peter marrying a water clone of her cause I liked them so much in the animated series. They are indeed special.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Same. The first super-couple I can remember liking. I didn't even mind Peter marrying a water clone of her cause I liked them so much in the animated series. They are indeed special.
    Water Clone MJ was the first time a TV show ever broke my heart. I was so upset that the show ended without Peter finding her.

Well, to me, romance is just another part of life. Sure, it's lame to have it everywhere, but....not having it at all makes the setting feel incomplete.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, to me, romance is just another part of life. Sure, it's lame to have it everywhere, but....not having it at all makes the setting feel incomplete.
    For me a story without some romantic angle just feels a tad hollow. Not that all good stories need romances, but when done well it really enriches the story and characters.

For me a story without some romantic angle just feels a tad hollow. Not that all good stories need romances, but when done well it really enriches the story and characters.
    Agreed. Without the more "human connections" things just start to feel bland. Just having a bunch of super-powered folks beating the snot out of each other works for an issue or 2...but you need more than that long term. It's one of the reasons I hate how modern comics have largely disposed of the human supporting cast. Everything just feels less "real" than comics pre-2000's.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Agreed. Without the more "human connections" things just start to feel bland. Just having a bunch of super-powered folks beating the snot out of each other works for an issue or 2...but you need more than that long term. It's one of the reasons I hate how modern comics have largely disposed of the human supporting cast. Everything just feels less "real" than comics pre-2000's.
    This is a big part of why I don't read a lot of super hero books nowadays. So many of them don't have a supporting cast, or that cast gets written out in the next run so what's the point? Spider-man has been one of the few to maintain a good combo of personal drama and super heroics to keep me invested.

Astonishing Member

The supporting cast had all but disappeared from Amazing Spider-Man in the '00s, until Brand New Day brought it back in a big way. Spider-Man works best when there are regular people in it, especially ones who aren't in on Spider-Man's secret identity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The supporting cast had all but disappeared from Amazing Spider-Man in the '00s, until Brand New Day brought it back in a big way. Spider-Man works best when there are regular people in it, especially ones who aren't in on Spider-Man's secret identity.
    I don't see any reason Spidey can't have friends/a supporting cast and be with the love of his life. Plenty of writers have made it work just fine. Talented writers like Dave Michelinie and others.

Also, speaking of BND, where ARE all those vitally important side characters from that cast? Forgotten? Just like every cast introduced in a major run then dropped for the next? Sounds like Spidey is the same as ever. None of the members of Horizon Labs during Big Time are still around. If the whole point of OMD was to bring back side characters, it didn't do a very good job making anyone with lasting power to stick around.

Whereas MJ keeps coming back. Because she's made an actual impression on the fanbase and people WANT to see her back. No one's clamoring for that one random roommate Pete had during BND.
    Last edited by Venomsaurus; 05-05-2023 at 06:08 AM.