Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I love this. all of it! they should all be on a team together
    A Legion of Gross heroes.

X -men G.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Honestly, a better question would be who DOESN'T need a reboot.

On a personal note, Monet could use a hard reboot, erasing PAD's X-Factor from her character including her randomly being Muslim because she assumes her mother was, getting rid of the Penance form which is just something else to mute her skin color & have her as anything other than a POC.

Sabretooth almost needs a factory reset at this point. lol I still stand by his character sucking for the last 2 decades now, with only some occasional good stories from select writers. Otherwise, the trend still stands that writers who do his character the most injustice tend to have him the longest and actual good writers that try to actually add depth to him, or make him competent again only have him for one-offs or 1-shot minis. LaValle, just as I thought, has also done spit with him, and is instead adding racism to the character now rather than giving him some kind of depth like all the other villains seem to get now and again.

Wolverine seems like he can be up & down, and could use a reset with less "random" for lack of better word backstory.

Deadpool could stand to be reset back to the end of Duggan's run with the character because he's not been good since then. lol

But again, ALL of the characters in Marvel & DC needs resets given the 50 different iterations & backstories they all have. And all of them can't be canon. For example with Creed. Once upon a time, he was intelligent, CIA trained, dangerous, and competent. Since Chuck Austen, he's been weak, stupid, and bumbling. And this doesn't get into Loeb's mess.

After so long, certain things become non-canon when it retcons earlier stories & characterizations.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 12-26-2022 at 10:44 AM.

I’d love to see Sabretooth working with Wolverine, Omega Red, Domino and Deadpool on X-Force. Talk about a dangerous mutant CIA! Just need them written competently by someone.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I want a reset where Monet calls people "silly" as much as Emma calls people "darling"!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    100% this. Could not agree more.
    Man IXM9 annoyed me to no end , those damn protocols even making guys like Exodus and Sinister both with healing factor look ridiculous. The RP have to go!

Astonishing Member

I’d love to see Sabretooth working with Wolverine, Omega Red, Domino and Deadpool on X-Force. Talk about a dangerous mutant CIA! Just need them written competently by someone.
    A little too unhinged, to be sanctioned by either Scott or Cable , but it would work if set in the 1940s battling the CoV, with Cable as a timestram interloper marooned in the time-point coz the vault's technology is messing with the 'tachyon field'

Nailed it. I like how less powerful characters have to be more clever and skilled. Makes them far more interesting to me than a simple powerhouse “elemental force of nature.” Again, just my $.02.

For example, Cable is far cooler with his powers nerfed than he is with full blown uber-powerful TK/TP.
    I agree. Jean and Storm are 2 of my favorites, but the constant wank over their power levels is so fucking boring. I don't want to read about characters who can do anything, I want to read about characters who have to use their skills, experiences, powers, and relationships to overcome challenges. Isn't that what TEAM BOOKS are about?

I think one of the reasons Emma was able to rise to such prominence in the 2000s - present is because she is typically written to lead with character, personality, and/or conflict instead of "look how powerful I am, I can do anything, if you give me something that looks like a credible threat my fans will go crazy and harass you on the internet until you decide not to use me anymore. There is no such thing as a threat to me. Trust me, my stans are ready with scans from 1987 to prove it."
    Last edited by davetvs; 12-30-2022 at 05:57 AM.

And yet her ascension to the main X-Men team was also accompanied by a 'secondary mutation' that allowed her to be a nigh invulnerable and super strong brawler, in addition to "Omega level" telepathy, capable of global telepathic feats without Cererbo/bra, and even greater telepathic prowess than Xavier. But yeah, definitely no power wanking there....
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

"look how powerful I am, I can do anything, if you give me something that looks like a credible threat my fans will go crazy and harass you on the internet until you decide not to use me anymore. There is no such thing as a threat to me. Trust me, my stans are ready with scans from 1987 to prove it."
    I dunno. That does sound a lot like Emma and her fans.

Polaris needs a partial reboot.

Forget 90s X-Factor. That seems to be the main thing holding her back these days - nostalgia for how she was used as a supporting character 30 years ago.

Also don't use her time having dated Havok for a long while. It's clear that's taken up way too much of Lorna's time when people in the X-Men office can't acknowledge her individual worth even when dealing with Genosha.

Look at the core concept of what she was meant to be in her first two issues and follow that line.

Acknowledge her time on Genosha, acknowledge her as a survivor of the genocide, and write her from that lens.

If using stuff from the Claremont era, rewrite it to be something that's actually good and meaningful for Lorna instead of diving headlong into being insulting about it. A good rule of thumb is if it would be too insulting to do to someone like Jean or Storm, then don't do it to Lorna.

Explore the possibilities of her powers more. This is one of the very rare spots where I can say Marvel's improved in the past few years, so I'd say keep going. But it's not a substitute for the important character-based changes needed.

And that's all I can think of at the moment.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I could do without Wolverines "James Howlett" backstory or him knowing everything about his past. I'm also not fond of him being brainwashed by Xavier into joining the X-men or however that went down.

Beast goes without saying.

I don't even know what to say about the Phoenix anymore. It seems every writer who gets their hands on it rewrites the entire history of the thing.

Iceman being revealed as gay was done in about the worst most hamfisted way possible. Even if you were going to out the guy (and I think making him bisexual would have worked better anyway) they way they did it was not the way it should have happened.

The way they've split Captain Britain Psylocke and 90s Psylocke really feels like a "have your cake and eat it to" thing. Instead of trying to fix a character, it feels like they left us with two different half-a-characters.

Jubilee doesn't need a kid, even if the kid is a dragon.

They really need to cut down on the shady secrets Xavier has.

I really don't like the foppish silly Mr. Sinister. I preferred Sinister as actually being sinister.

I would agree with those who say Lorna needs a partial reboot refocusing the character on her history with Genosha and in a larger sense her as a divided character between the world of mutant militancy and the X-Men. Basically, the character needs to go back to the trajectory she was on pre M-Day before she went back to love triangles/Havolaris and mind control as central to the character. Overdoing mental health issues as a substitute for her being philosophically complex is a no no as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    And yet her ascension to the main X-Men team was also accompanied by a 'secondary mutation' that allowed her to be a nigh invulnerable and super strong brawler, in addition to "Omega level" telepathy, capable of global telepathic feats without Cererbo/bra, and even greater telepathic prowess than Xavier. But yeah, definitely no power wanking there....
    Please. Emma's diamond form was nerfed almost from the very beginning by blocking her telepathy, and she's barely used it for super-strength feats, even all these years later. Can you imagine the wank if a writer suggested Jean couldn't use both telepathy and telekinesis at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Please. Emma's diamond form was nerfed almost from the very beginning by blocking her telepathy, and she's barely used it for super-strength feats, even all these years later. Can you imagine the wank if a writer suggested Jean couldn't use both telepathy and telekinesis at the same time?
    They went back and forth with that idea that she can't use the TP and diamond at the same time. Besides, nerfed or not, they gave her a whole new suite of powers(which basically made her like M, via Husk..... characters that were actually nerfed).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    They went back and forth with that idea that she can't use the TP and diamond at the same time. Besides, nerfed or not, they gave her a whole new suite of powers(which basically made her like M, via Husk..... characters that were actually nerfed).
    M has also been given a whole new suite of powers now that she can shift into Penance, so it's not really giving nerfed. I do not personally need her to be as strong a telepath as Jean, or as super strong as Colossus, or fly as fast as Northstar/Aurora. The fact that she can do all of those things period is what makes her cool. The fact that she isn't such a tank it's "unrealistic" to have her lose fights or need/accept assistance from other characters is what makes her compelling and useful in a team setting.

Monet assisted/boosted Jean in House of X and Jean's stans are crying about it to this day. What place does she have in a team book, then?