Default Nubia / justice league special (Batman related)

I just read the splash page of this book. Nubia is in gotham, thinking about how dark and corrupt the city is, but that it's citizens are unashamed of their city's dark history. Wow. I've always wondered why people could stay in a city so riddled with evil , but I guess that explains it. Either they can't afford to leave, or just don't care. I can only take gotham in small doses. Staying too long in that setting just depresses me.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I just read the splash page of this book. Nubia is in gotham, thinking about how dark and corrupt the city is, but that it's citizens are unashamed of their city's dark history. Wow. I've always wondered why people could stay in a city so riddled with evil , but I guess that explains it. Either they can't afford to leave, or just don't care. I can only take gotham in small doses. Staying too long in that setting just depresses me.
    Well, a number don't have the means to leave (Jason Todd as a kid came from such a background), some try and deal with it for some reason, others controlled it (mafias, crime lords, and Court of Owls).

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I mean, most people in the real world don't leave the place they're born/raised. You could say the same of Gotham of any real world awful place to live, but the answer's the same. Those who could most benefit by leaving don't have the means.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    For some it's the understanding of you KNOW what to expect in that place versus going to a new one.

I observed a conversation between a student and our counselor at school.

The student did NOT want to go to a basketball camp located outside her neighborhood.
    She pointed out she could get killed at the camp. It was pointed out that she could get killed in her neighborhood. She said at least she would be killed in her neighborhood than some camp.

They rather stay than move on.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    For some it's the understanding of you KNOW what to expect in that place versus going to a new one.

I observed a conversation between a student and our counselor at school.

The student did NOT want to go to a basketball camp located outside her neighborhood.
    She pointed out she could get killed at the camp. It was pointed out that she could get killed in her neighborhood. She said at least she would be killed in her neighborhood than some camp.

They rather stay than move on.
    "The evil you know, vs the evil you don't."

Makes sense.

I always attributed it to surprisingly good employment packages. Good health, dental, maternity leave, the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I always attributed it to surprisingly good employment packages. Good health, dental, maternity leave, the works.
    Probably has great life insurance too.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”