Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The main issue with the plot is it makes everyone in the Quiet Council look like idiots. This isn’t a problem for me, who has seen every member as an idiot who would probably get ejected out of any actual functioning government within a few months but I can see why others would have a problem with this portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm unapologetically on board with this dark, non-Dark Beast story and have been enjoying both Wolverine and X-Force lately. I just want to see how it all ends now.
    Ditto. These are the only X-books I'm interested in atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So does the X-Office just not care about Beast or Krakoa's basic competency at all or...?
    I mean when did they ever actually care?

X-Force got clowned on from day 1. Villains just entering and causing chaos on Krakoa no problem.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    The main issue with the plot is it makes everyone in the Quiet Council look like idiots. This isn’t a problem for me, who has seen every member as an idiot who would probably get ejected out of any actual functioning government within a few months but I can see why others would have a problem with this portrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I mean when did they ever actually care?

X-Force got clowned on from day 1. Villains just entering and causing chaos on Krakoa no problem.
    This has been the most infuriating part for me. The council just doesn't care. In fact, no one seemed to care AT ALL what Hank was doing. The only way this plot has been able to work is for EVERYONE involved to act like an oblivious, uncaring idiot. I'm glad the council has finally all been killed by Sinister.

Biologists and geneticists in general in comics tend to get villainized. I guess because of Mengele and the vague association of biology and genetics with transhumanism and social darwinism for a lot of writers? They seem to tend to think that if you are for biological improvements, then by definition you are an enemy of humanity, since you want to create something better than humanity.

Meanwhile actual geneticists are hoping to do something like cure genetically caused illnesses like some cancers and alzheimers. This trope where anyone involved with genetics is just a short step away from becoming a Nazi has got to go.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 12-24-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Biologists and geneticists in general in comics tend to get villainized. I guess because of Mengele and the vague association of biology and genetics with transhumanism and social darwinism for a lot of writers? They seem to tend to think that if you are for biological improvements, then by definition you are an enemy of humanity, since you want to create something better than humanity.

Meanwhile actual geneticists are hoping to do something like cure genetically caused illnesses like some cancers and alzheimers. This trope where anyone involved with genetics is just short step away from becoming a Nazi has to go.
    I agree completely. Sure, there's been evil doctors, but they're far outweighed by the good doctors, biologists and geneticists. Hasn't there been a trend in Marvel for a long time of geniuses going evil? I remember something about Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and others become villains. It seems Hank held out the longest from becoming pure villain, but Percy has sure made up for that. Does Marvel hate smart people?

Yup, if anything Beast is lucky it took so long for him to get a turn, especially considering that he deals with genetics and its icky icky Nazi-ish implications in the minds of most writers.

The more I think about that moment where Beast testifying before Congress the dumber it is.

For starters, hauling the head of a presumed hostile foreign intelligence organization to testify is bonkers from the get-go. And apparently X-force is just common knowledge in other nations, along with its members and head. Then Beast making a wild claim about it being a robot copy with no proof, and instead citing the existence of the X-board. Plus there's no way the Krakoan government did not know about Beast being called to testify publicly, which blows any claims from them about not knowing what Beast is up too. No government would allow him to testify at all, let alone send him off without knowing what he's going to say beforehand. And the first question anybody on Krakoa should have asked; no, DEMANDED, was "Where is Wolverine?". Hell, Congress should have called WOLVERINE to testify in addition to Beast!

Its just a logical stupidity smorgasbord!

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The more I think about that moment where Beast testifying before Congress the dumber it is.

For starters, hauling the head of a presumed hostile foreign intelligence organization to testify is bonkers from the get-go. And apparently X-force is just common knowledge in other nations, along with its members and head. Then Beast making a wild claim about it being a robot copy with no proof, and instead citing the existence of the X-board. Plus there's no way the Krakoan government did not know about Beast being called to testify publicly, which blows any claims from them about not knowing what Beast is up too. No government would allow him to testify at all, let alone send him off without knowing what he's going to say beforehand. And the first question anybody on Krakoa should have asked; no, DEMANDED, was "Where is Wolverine?". Hell, Congress should have called WOLVERINE to testify in addition to Beast!

Its just a logical stupidity smorgasbord!
    I know! It's so mind-boggingly stupid that's when I said "This has passed from absurdity to comedy". Even Chuck Austen's run wasn't this bad and he's maligned to this day. I don't think Percy realizes how much damage this does not just to Hank, but to Logan and ALL the X-Men(as well as anything unfortunate to appear in one of his comics) by making EVERYONE involved look like such mouth-breathing idiots. I would've thought that the other writers would be upset with how much this makes everything X-related look bad, but I guess not.

I just realized that this mean the American government is attempting to hold Beast accountable for his actions before his own government does. Dear god.

This whole story is a fever dream and there's currently no medicine.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I stopped reading this book a few issues ago, long after I should have dropped it (but, silly me, I was hoping for some good Domino, Sage or Black Tom action, someday).

In retrospect, I now feel like this writer kind of *hates* the whole Krakoa concept and has been doing everything in his power to make it look terrible, in the hopes that he can yank the wheel enough to steer it off a cliff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I stopped reading this book a few issues ago, long after I should have dropped it (but, silly me, I was hoping for some good Domino, Sage or Black Tom action, someday).

In retrospect, I now feel like this writer kind of *hates* the whole Krakoa concept and has been doing everything in his power to make it look terrible, in the hopes that he can yank the wheel enough to steer it off a cliff.
    Books are allowed to be just bad for you, you know. It’s not some secret plot by the writers to destroy all you hold dear.

Especially since Percy was one of the few to actually try engaging so fun the resurrection protocols early on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Well there is the option of not buying the book and at least deprive it of what sustains it. Though given Wolverine is in it, it will sadly kept being bought because with western super hero comics quality is secondary or tertiary compared to covers and characters for collectors value.

Amazing Member

They made Beast into a villain without any depth. Instead of a Magneto or Dr. Doom who can show some redeeming qualities, they turned Beast into the mutant version of the Red Skull, who has always been completely reprehensible.