Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

The Themyscrian paradigms for love, sex, and relationships look nothing like anything seen in the real world, and would likely make a lot of people very uncomfortable. Polygamy is the order of the day, and relationships aren't meant to last a (immortal) lifetime, or even be exclusive. Lot of sharing and open relationships on Paradise Island. Most Amazons are pansexual, their proximity to the god sphere makes them less concerned about the physical and more interested in the soul/spiritual.

Themyscria has moved beyond what we recognize as economics. They have a complex system of trade/barter and resource management/allocation, but nothing about it would be familiar to an economist from Man's World.

Amazons are *not* reborn women who suffered in Man's World. They're ancient Greeks (or, Greek adjacent I guess) made immortal and set to guard Doom's Doorway.

Almost everyone on the Island takes a turn doing every job. This year, you're a guard at Doom's Doorway. Next year, you're farming in the countryside. Year after that, you're a craftsman making baskets. Only the most senior members of any given industry/field stay in their position, everyone else rotates.

Amazon technology is highly advanced, but based on divination, astrology, alchemy, and other fields we consider proto-science.

The invisible jet is a prototype stealth bomber made by the U.S. that was designed to fight superhumans, and is one of the most dangerous pieces of technology the military ever made. Diana still has the ability to control it remotely with a neural link hidden under her tiara.

Clark and Diana dated early in their careers, for a short time (less than six months). Both quickly realized they were better off as friends and had an amicable breakup. They still joke about it sometimes.

Themyscria exists at the foot of Olympus, on the edge of the god sphere. You can see the mountain rising in the distance from Themyscria's shores. On the Island, all Amazons are as strong/fast/durable as Diana, but in Man's World, away from the god sphere, they're less powerful, closer to Golden Age Superman levels. Diana is an exception to that rule thanks to her god-given gifts. This allows her to win the Competition fairly, without making every Amazon who comes to Man's World an extinction-level powerhouse.

The Island is also home to a number of harpie colonies, cyclops tribes, and other monsters/creatures from Greek myth. The Amazons have trade agreements with some, are hostile with a few others (seasonal raids only, nothing like real warfare, and it's almost become a game for all involved), but mostly enjoy a "live and let live" relationship with their neighbors.

Diana's powers and weaknesses *should* be rooted in sex/gender psychology and symbolism, which is why she 'should' lose her powers if unwillingly bound by a man and why she 'should' be semi-vulnerable to bullets (phallic symbols of male violence). Not "dead on arrival" vulnerable to bullets, but "hey that heavy assault rifle is gonna leave a bruise!" vulnerable. Her weaknesses are symbolic, not literal, which is why a bullet can hurt but a building falling on her won't. But DC will never be able to manage that distinction so it's best to leave her as just another flying brick, even though that's boring and invites comparisons she doesn't benefit from.

Steve Trevor is just the earth-1 variant of Steve Rogers, and should be written as such (minus the powers). He should also be the only man allowed to enter/walk on Themyscria, and that includes the male gods. And while Diana had plenty of flings growing up on the Island and ascribes to the looser, more free version of love the Amazons practice, she has no intention of sharing Steve with any of her sisters, but wouldn't say no to a throple that included him and someone from Man's World. Even she isn't sure why.

Steve's favorite Leaguer is Hal, and they knew each other before the League formed. They're drinking buddies who get together whenever Hal returns to earth. Diana dislikes Hal the most out of all the Big 7. Her favorite Lantern is Kyle Rayner; he's just a real sweet boy and Diana has a soft spot for artists and people who create things. She secretly covets a Lantern ring of her own.

Diana loves cheesy romance novels. The worse the better. But she thinks they're comedies. And she snorts when she laughs.

Diana's the nascent goddess of truth, and can sense lies. They itch. The lasso enhances her ability to detect falsehood, but the power itself comes from her.

She's put more effort into spreading the Amazon philosophy than the comics give her credit for. She's written a number of books about it (as per Rucka), does speaking engagements, Ted Talks, etc. There are people all over the world who now follow the Amazon way, though it has yet to become anything close to a major religion.

The UN, the States, and most other governments spend a lot of time worrying about what Diana will say and do. More than they do any other hero. They worry about the influence she'll have on the population, know that she's here to rock the boat and upend the patriarchy, and are not sure how to counter her without biting off more than they can chew.

Diana adores children more than anything, but they scare her senseless. They're small, fragile, and self-destructive and as the only child on Themyscria, she has no idea how to deal with them. Ask her to babysit and she'll gleefully agree, it'll make her whole week, but she'll lowkey panic the whole time.

Oh, and Diana isn't white. She's got an olive/tanned skin tone that's impossible to place, and soft gray eyes (not blue).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I second the Not Reborn Women Who Suffered thing. That to me was a mistake, though whether made out of allegiance to modern systems of faith I guess we will never truly know.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Gateway city should be a real Gateway where magically creatures live along with some of the gods.
    This sounds a lot like the place where Aria hangs out! I don't know if that book still exists but I remember that part and the luxurious Anacleto (sp?) art.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I second the Not Reborn Women Who Suffered thing. That to me was a mistake, though whether made out of allegiance to modern systems of faith I guess we will never truly know.
    I think Perez explained why he went that way in some interviews, but I don't remember what his justifications were. But it always rubbed me the wrong way, even though I'm sure Perez had nothing but good intentions. I just don't like the idea that Amazons 'require' abuse. What about the social worker or advocate who fights tirelessly her whole life to help women, but was never in a bad relationship herself? Is she not worthy of Themyscria?

But then, I'm against the idea of "new" Amazons in general. I don't want reborn abused women, I don't want Azzarello style sex raids, no orphans regularly washing up on shore, none of it. To me the Amazons are the ancient Greeks who lost their men and nation fighting Ares thousands of years ago, and were given the boon of immortality on the Island along with the duty of protecting the Doorway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But then, I'm against the idea of "new" Amazons in general. I don't want reborn abused women, I don't want Azzarello style sex raids, no orphans regularly washing up on shore, none of it. To me the Amazons are the ancient Greeks who lost their men and nation fighting Ares thousands of years ago, and were given the boon of immortality on the Island along with the duty of protecting the Doorway.
    So them being a female society is irrelevant to the story in the present day?

That's the thing to me, the amazons work if they are a queer fantasy. All the gay women born in a patriarchy over the millenia, that had to fight to survive, get a blessed earth where they can actually build something, heal and prosper.

Otherwise, why are they a female only society? What's the point?

I think Perez explained why he went that way in some interviews, but I don't remember what his justifications were. But it always rubbed me the wrong way, even though I'm sure Perez had nothing but good intentions. I just don't like the idea that Amazons 'require' abuse. What about the social worker or advocate who fights tirelessly her whole life to help women, but was never in a bad relationship herself? Is she not worthy of Themyscria?
    The Amazons do require abuse. The central thesis behind them is that patriarchy is, in itself, abuse. The lore just takes the common humiliations women endure under patriarchy and blows them up to mythic scale. The Amazons being tricked and enslaved by Heracles is symbolic of what happens when women let their guard down. "Stealing Hippolyta's girdle" is a very obvious rape metaphor. Aphrodite's Law as conceived by Marston wasn't just the bondage thing - it also stated that Amazons would lose their powers if they ever married a man.

It's what makes Themyscira alluring. It's not Wakanda, where the dream is a land that was never colonized in the first place. It's the fantasy of what could happen if oppressed people were given space to heal. And Diana embodies the result of that, the first Amazon who's truly liberated from patriarchy and so powerful that no man - mortal or (demi)god - can force her to submit.

WW's core piece of iconography is her people's broken shackles. The Amazons liberating themselves from men's abuse and enslavement literally is the lore and always has been - even the movie called out the Amazons' enslavement and its take on the lore was very male-centric and toothless. This is from the 3rd page of the first ever WW story in All-Star Comics #8 (from 1941):

To be brutally honest, I think "ancient Greeks who lost their men fighting Ares" misses the point just as much as n52 rape pirates even though it's far less offensive.

Perez amped up the tragedy, made it a more personal story, focused on trauma in a more visceral way, and added the Well of Souls, but he was working with the template Marston laid out. I actually love the past lives thing but I prefer how Historia approached it, where the original Amazons are made from the souls of women killed by men's abuse but their ranks grow with mortal women who join along the way.

Hmmmmmmm! Speaking of past lives, I must ask the Board about the sentiment toward a less often discussed reboot. William Messner-Loebs also rebooted WW for his run. He was given carte blan and practically told to go as far away from Perez as possible. A stealth reboot but a reboot nonetheless.

So how does his origin stack up to Marston, Perez, Azz (ha! I could have fun with homophones here but will be nice), Simone, and Earth One?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Amazons have three pathways to superpowers: Life force manipulation, magic and divine gifts.

Life force manipulation is the most common, used by Diana, Nubia, Artemis, Mala, Phillippus, Donna and Hippolyta. It involves meditation and training in martial arts to effectively utilize. It allows Amazons enhanced strength, speed, agility, durability, stamina, healing and senses. Advanced users can achieve flight. At their "weakest", an Amazon life force user is akin to Midnighter. The concept was brought over by Amazons of East Asian origin. Amazons skilled in this ability also train with mystical weapons created and linked to them through magical blacksmiths. Examples are Diana's lasso and Nubia's spear. These weapons can be summoned from anywhere and act as extensions of the user's power and being. They will cease to exist if the original user dies unless bequeathed to a successor.

Amazon mages are more versatile with their powers including elemental control over fire, water and air, teleportation, clairvoyance, invisibility, exotic energy control and flight. While Amazon life forcers are calling on their inner strength, Amazon mages are rewriting the laws of reality. Amazon mages include Akila, Euboea and Magda. Hippolyta and Donna also trained in magic.

Divine gifts are granted to Amazons win certain favors from the gods in the form of special powers, weapons or tools. These can be awarded to an Amazon who earns a deity's favor or whose accomplishments gains a deity's respect.

Artemis, Amaya and Mala have access to mystical armor created by Io and Hephaestus. Diana has a divine mode gained through her connection to Gaia. Donna has a cloak gifted to her by the Tagalog star goddess Tala.
    I got to say I always enjoy seeing you open discussion or talk about magic/magical ideas. Your explanation for why amazons do certain things is awesome.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Gateway city should be a real Gateway where magically creatures live along with some of the gods. When it comes to bullets Diana shouldn't outright die they should be able to harm her but not kill her so easily. Also depending on the bullet it should due more damage
    I kind of like this idea. The only DC cities defined are Gotham and Metropolis. Gateway being that different would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So them being a female society is irrelevant to the story in the present day?
    I'm not sure how you got that out of my post?

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    The Amazons do require abuse. The central thesis behind them is that patriarchy is, in itself, abuse.
    I'm aware of the symbolism. I read it not as the abuse that's the keystone to Amazonian 'worthiness' but rising up and fighting back against it. Which is why I asked about the social worker or activist. Are they not worthy? To my mind, the reason the Amazons were blessed by the gods and given the Island isn't because they were victims. As you say, the patriarchy is abuse, so we're all victims to one degree or another. No, I think the Amazons were given the Island because even beaten down, they were strong enough to take a stand.

And none of that, I think, requires 'new' Amazons. I wouldn't want drowned sailors being reborn as Atlanteans either.

The abuse is a given. But Themyscria is not Valhalla. It's not a reward you get after suffering under the patriarchy. Diana's whole mission, to me, isn't about a glorious rebirth on a magic faraway land, it's about building our own Paradise Island right here. She's here to burn the patriarchy to the ground, not relocate us.

Besides that, and this is my chief issue with the concept, it diminishes Diana's uniqueness. If 'new' Amazons are showing up on a regular basis then Diana's not quite so out of place; even if those other women are being reborn as adults they're still new faces. I prefer it when Diana's not just the only child on the Island, but the only new face that anyone has seen in centuries.

If others like Themyscria as Valhalla, more power to you. But in *my* headcanon, they're a static/immortal population that has developed their own totally unique society and culture, without touching anything from the outside world. Nobody arrives, nobody leaves (baring an exception or three of course). That's far more interesting to me than yet another 'afterlife' narrative. All these women, stuck on a relatively small island they can't leave and no one else can find, and they're immortal. What does that *do* to a people? How does their society evolve, and more importantly how is it different (and similar) to our own because of it? These are social pressures and factors we have no allegory for in reality. Even 'lost' tribes in the deep rainforest and such are influenced by our impact on climate, etc. Not Themyscira. That's fascinating to me. And I don't think reborn, new Amazons fit that. Nor do I think, quite honestly, that it fits several elements in their society, including but not limited to Amazon isolationism. But to each their own.

~ Black Panther.

The Amazons being women who were abused and killed senselessly both in their past lives and in their new lives as immortals justifies the reasons for their isolation. It is fundamental to the WW mythos. That's why Hippolyta, a mythological figure who was kidnapped or killed unnecessarily by Heracles is the central figure of the mythos and Perez simply extended that theme to claim that all Amazons were women who died similarly.

Diana grew up not knowing any of that abuse or pain is what makes her unique. The tension between Diana who wants to go out and explore the world and the Amazons who have very valid reasons for being apprehensive about her leaving and interacting with the outside world is a crucial part of the WW mythos.

Take that away and you end up with an entirely different story all together.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I'm not sure how you got that out of my post?
    This is what you wrote:
    To me the Amazons are the ancient Greeks who lost their men and nation fighting Ares thousands of years ago, and were given the boon of immortality on the Island along with the duty of protecting the Doorway.
    And since that's your view on things, I asked you why does it matter that they are a female only society?

That's far more interesting to me than yet another 'afterlife' narrative. All these women, stuck on a relatively small island they can't leave and no one else can find, and they're immortal. What does that *do* to a people? How does their society evolve, and more importantly how is it different (and similar) to our own because of it?
    that's not the opposite of being some kind of afterlife. To me, the point of a paradise is, what do you build now that you can live your life the way you wanted? A healing process means creating something new that reflects what you lacked before.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    And since that's your view on things, I asked you why does it matter that they are a female only society?
    Because being an all-female society and how that influences things is one of those utterly unique social factors. Obviously.

that's not the opposite of being some kind of afterlife
    I didn't say it was the opposite of an afterlife narrative, I said I prefer it more than another afterlife narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Perez simply extended that theme to claim that all Amazons were women who died similarly.
    And I think that was a mistake. It wasn't needed for the themes of Paradise Island to function. Everything you're talking about was already on the table without it. Modern era women being reborn as Amazons is just Greek Valhalla. And that's great for those who favor it, but I'm not one of them. I'll build my Paradise here, on the bones of the rich white men who have ruined the world, thanks. The way Diana intended it, I believe.

Diana grew up not knowing any of that abuse or pain is what makes her unique.
    Partially yes, but that's part of being the only child on the Island. The Amazons have all the reason they require to be overprotective of Diana without new, reborn Amazons being created.

Take that away and you end up with an entirely different story all together.
    I'm not taking away anything except a unnecessary Valhalla proxy. Actually, since we're talking personal head canon, I'm not taking anything away from anyone.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I got to say I always enjoy seeing you open discussion or talk about magic/magical ideas. Your explanation for why amazons do certain things is awesome.
    Thank you.

I'm aware of the symbolism. I read it not as the abuse that's the keystone to Amazonian 'worthiness' but rising up and fighting back against it. Which is why I asked about the social worker or activist. Are they not worthy?
    Well, we've had women who weren't abused or reincarnated accepted as Amazons by Themyscirans in post crisis and beyond, that isn't a requirement.

I'm not trying to change your mind on how you view Themyscira, but I just felt that was worth pointing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well, we've had women who weren't abused or reincarnated accepted as Amazons by Themyscirans in post crisis and beyond, that isn't a requirement.

I'm not trying to change your mind on how you view Themyscira, but I just felt that was worth pointing out.
    Oh indeed, Donna herself was accepted and adopted into the Amazons (some versions), as was Cassie, different versions of Steve have been as well, etc.

That's not an issue in my mind, beyond the logistics of how you get someone there in the first place (as in my head it's not exactly a physical place you can usually travel to). What I disagree with is the Valhalla parallels. One thing for an individual to join the Amazonian ranks once every few centuries, quite another for countless women to die and be reborn on Themyscria's shores every year.

And I know you're not trying to change my mind. Nor am I trying to change anyone else's.

~ Black Panther.