Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I can't think of a single comic book I've ever read that's actually "all male". You're making up crap and passing it off as fact.

Also, if you think the only way to make a book female centric is to literally not have any male figures... you're insane.
    I think the point is being missed.

What we're talking about is the fact that Wonder Woman as an origin is female driven. Amazons. Goddesses. Queen's and Princesses. The narrative is driven by female forces. That doesn't mean there are no men in the comic. It means they're not the driving force.

Diana is created by the Queen of an island of Amazons and brought to life by their patron Goddesses. All female. That's what's unique in comics.

When you shove Zeus into the story , it changes the focus and it revolves around Zeus. Hippolyta had an affair with Zeus. Diana is Zeus' daughter. They had to lie about her birth for fear of Zeus' wife. Etc. All about a male God.( And forget about the villainizing of the Amazons, etc)

Most comics have origins and narratives that are male driven. Mother's are present but often afterthoughts. Women are partners, sidekicks, etc. There because they're there.

We're not talking about having a comic that's all male or all female. I don't think those books exist . But Diana's unique, female driven origin gives her a perspective in comics and a storytelling narrative that doesn't exist elsewhere. And that's important.

Remember, she was created to give an alternate pov from all the comics that existed at the time( which had male centric narratives) She was created not only to give girls an empowering role model of womanhood ( not only herself, but in the Amazons, Hippolyta, etc) but also show young boys positive female role models. That women could be strong, smart, leaders in their own story. And that someone like Steve ( a strong , capable war hero) wasn't threatened by that, so they didn't need to be either.

I can't think of a single comic book I've ever read that's actually "all male". You're making up crap and passing it off as fact.

Also, if you think the only way to make a book female centric is to literally not have any male figures... you're insane.
    "female driven" would be a better use of phrase but what they're saying is correct.

To use Batman and Superman as a comparison. They're father figures (Jor-El, Pa Kent, Thomas Wayne, and Alfred) are way more important than any maternal figure in their life/publication histories, the most prominent non-familial women in their worlds are love interests, they're rogues galleries are overwhelmingly male (there's barely any Superman female villains worth the time of the day honestly), female heroes in their worlds are derivative counterparts.

Also best not to call someone "insane".

Philippus is the greatest swordswoman of Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    "female driven" would be a better use of phrase but what they're saying is correct.

To use Batman and Superman as a comparison. They're father figures (Jor-El, Pa Kent, Thomas Wayne, and Alfred) are way more important than any maternal figure in their life/publication histories, the most prominent non-familial women in their worlds are love interests, they're rogues galleries are overwhelmingly male (there's barely any Superman female villains worth the time of the day honestly), female heroes in their worlds are derivative counterparts.

Also best not to call someone "insane".
    You know, thinking about this again... it absolutely is feminist stuff that makes writers not want to have proper female villains. But that's because of a misguided desire to depict female characters in a positive light.

Lets go with new characters in DCAU....

Harley Quinn... her original backstory is INSANE.... she has no redeeming qualities at all. You as a viewer sometimes end up empathizing with the Joker when he smacks her around... because Harley annoys you too. How did that character get to be treated as a hero? At any rate, Harley's villainy... is exclusively blamed on Joker and not her own personality.

Livewire... became a supervillain... because she was a ---- BEFORE getting powers. She has an odd place because she's a very powerful villain... with flimsy pretext motives. In several continuities she ends up having a face-turn because... well... she realizes how flimsy her own motivations are. That actually made an interesting story. But the starting point is that Leslie had motives no more concrete than being a --- on her radio talk show.

Mercy Graves: all of her negative traits are derived from how she works for Lex Luthor. She's actually rather hard working, and honest... but she works for Luthor.

Which yeah, all three of them have a male character as their reasons for villainy. but also it means they are(to some extent) not the source of their own evil, and thus seen as victims of circumstance.

You know, thinking about this again... it absolutely is feminist stuff that makes writers not want to have proper female villains. But that's because of a misguided desire to depict female characters in a positive light.

Lets go with new characters in DCAU....

Harley Quinn... her original backstory is INSANE.... she has no redeeming qualities at all. You as a viewer sometimes end up empathizing with the Joker when he smacks her around... because Harley annoys you too. How did that character get to be treated as a hero? At any rate, Harley's villainy... is exclusively blamed on Joker and not her own personality.

Livewire... became a supervillain... because she was a ---- BEFORE getting powers. She has an odd place because she's a very powerful villain... with flimsy pretext motives. In several continuities she ends up having a face-turn because... well... she realizes how flimsy her own motivations are. That actually made an interesting story. But the starting point is that Leslie had motives no more concrete than being a --- on her radio talk show.

Mercy Graves: all of her negative traits are derived from how she works for Lex Luthor. She's actually rather hard working, and honest... but she works for Luthor.

Which yeah, all three of them have a male character as their reasons for villainy. but also it means they are(to some extent) not the source of their own evil, and thus seen as victims of circumstance.
    I don't know if that's necessarily feminism problem, but it does seem to be an issue in modern comics (DC and Marvel ) where women can't remain villains. Even Poison Ivy gets pushed as something of an anti-hero these days.

Anyway...here's one:

Despite the obvious similarities, Diana would be best suited to face Goku and the Dragon Ball characters. In fact, if she somehow wound up in the DBZ universe, she would discover--due to the nature of her birth and training--she can harness God Ki.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I don't know if that's necessarily feminism problem, but it does seem to be an issue in modern comics (DC and Marvel ) where women can't remain villains. Even Poison Ivy gets pushed as something of an anti-hero these days.
    I see it as an issue of shades of grey. It's a simplistic good guy vs bad guy logic where anyone with any positive traits gets pushed to being a good guy... even if they're really not. More so with women.
    Anyway...here's one:

Despite the obvious similarities, Diana would be best suited to face Goku and the Dragon Ball characters. In fact, if she somehow wound up in the DBZ universe, she would discover--due to the nature of her birth and training--she can harness God Ki.
    hmm.. interesting question... would Ares be a god in the same sense that Whis is or like King Kai?

hmm.. interesting question... would Ares be a god in the same sense that Whis is or like King Kai?
    That is a interesting question. Of course, the pantheon hierarchy in Dragon Ball changes pretty much every story arc. First it was Kami. Then Kings Yemma and Kai. Then came Supreme Kai. But then came the Gods of Destruction, which led to the Angels. And now Zeno...

Where would Ares and other gods--including even the New Gods--land in there?

But the way I see it (or the way I'd do it if it was up to me) is the Dragon Ball universe operates with different rules for lack of better term. Think like who how in JLA/Avengers it turned out there is no Speed Force in the Marvel universe, so Flash had no powers when he went there. Similarly, the Scarlet Witch was overwhelmed by the magic of the DC universe because she wasn't prepared for it.

So I could see Diana entering the Dragon Ball universe and her powers immediately start acting differently because it turns out she's more attuned to Ki and utilizing it. And because of her Amazon training, she'd be able to harness/control it easier.

...but now I'm veering past head-canon and going into fan fic territory....

Diana and Ferdinand can converse with one another in bull.

Gateway city should be a real Gateway where magically creatures live along with some of the gods. When it comes to bullets Diana shouldn't outright die they should be able to harm her but not kill her so easily. Also depending on the bullet it should due more damage

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Gateway city should be a real Gateway where magically creatures live along with some of the gods. When it comes to bullets Diana shouldn't outright die they should be able to harm her but not kill her so easily. Also depending on the bullet it should due more damage
    Please no. Nothing good comes out of her being weak to bullets, with the level of power she is supposed to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Diana and Ferdinand can converse with one another in bull.
    Ferdinand is such a sweetheart. If I were in charge, he would definitely be a part of the book's supporting cast.

Amazons have three pathways to superpowers: Life force manipulation, magic and divine gifts.

Life force manipulation is the most common, used by Diana, Nubia, Artemis, Mala, Phillippus, Donna and Hippolyta. It involves meditation and training in martial arts to effectively utilize. It allows Amazons enhanced strength, speed, agility, durability, stamina, healing and senses. Advanced users can achieve flight. At their "weakest", an Amazon life force user is akin to Midnighter. The concept was brought over by Amazons of East Asian origin. Amazons skilled in this ability also train with mystical weapons created and linked to them through magical blacksmiths. Examples are Diana's lasso and Nubia's spear. These weapons can be summoned from anywhere and act as extensions of the user's power and being. They will cease to exist if the original user dies unless bequeathed to a successor.

Amazon mages are more versatile with their powers including elemental control over fire, water and air, teleportation, clairvoyance, invisibility, exotic energy control and flight. While Amazon life forcers are calling on their inner strength, Amazon mages are rewriting the laws of reality. Amazon mages include Akila, Euboea and Magda. Hippolyta and Donna also trained in magic.

Divine gifts are granted to Amazons win certain favors from the gods in the form of special powers, weapons or tools. These can be awarded to an Amazon who earns a deity's favor or whose accomplishments gains a deity's respect.

Artemis, Amaya and Mala have access to mystical armor created by Io and Hephaestus. Diana has a divine mode gained through her connection to Gaia. Donna has a cloak gifted to her by the Tagalog star goddess Tala.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    I think the point is being missed.

What we're talking about is the fact that Wonder Woman as an origin is female driven. Amazons. Goddesses. Queen's and Princesses. The narrative is driven by female forces. That doesn't mean there are no men in the comic. It means they're not the driving force.

Diana is created by the Queen of an island of Amazons and brought to life by their patron Goddesses. All female. That's what's unique in comics.

When you shove Zeus into the story , it changes the focus and it revolves around Zeus. Hippolyta had an affair with Zeus. Diana is Zeus' daughter. They had to lie about her birth for fear of Zeus' wife. Etc. All about a male God.( And forget about the villainizing of the Amazons, etc)

Most comics have origins and narratives that are male driven. Mother's are present but often afterthoughts. Women are partners, sidekicks, etc. There because they're there.

We're not talking about having a comic that's all male or all female. I don't think those books exist . But Diana's unique, female driven origin gives her a perspective in comics and a storytelling narrative that doesn't exist elsewhere. And that's important.

Remember, she was created to give an alternate pov from all the comics that existed at the time( which had male centric narratives) She was created not only to give girls an empowering role model of womanhood ( not only herself, but in the Amazons, Hippolyta, etc) but also show young boys positive female role models. That women could be strong, smart, leaders in their own story. And that someone like Steve ( a strong , capable war hero) wasn't threatened by that, so they didn't need to be either.
    Conveniently leaving out Hermes.... but sure I guess. A God who gives Diana's power of speed and flight who's only interference in her origin is being male.

Anyways I'm team Hippolyta (and for that matter Antiope, Penthesila, and Melanippe too) as Ares's daughter with Otrera the previous queen, makes things more interesting to me.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Diana should be the only child sculpted from clay. I think having others be sculpted (Nubia, Donna, or even Diana sculpting her own children) really under scores what happened. Diana's creation to me is literal divine intervention, ritualistic, a miracle, and should be treated as such. The only reason it happened is because the Patrons let it happen and they're never going to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    This is also my head canon.