Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    You know that could work with both. In Skyrim lore the sky above isn't just a sky but a different plane of existence that holds other realms. There are still stars and all but say for example that one big planet looking thing isn't actually a planet but a portal to the realm of giants or something. If we also keep the head canon of Themyscira being in a different plane of existence too of course.

I just like Diana being in that mix between syfy and fantasy. I mean she was doing things that He-man and classic Thor were doing before those two were even thoughts.
    Synchronize! That is exactly the kind of vibe I was thinking of, Perseus!!

Wouldn't Gaia be an ally? So they should use earth magic, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Interesting. Why not?
    Sorry I didn't respond to these quicker. I actually have two different reasons for this.

1) The Amazons consider the earth sacred since it is Gaia's domain and don't want to piss her off.

2) Using earth magic runs the risk of waking Gaia up and causing her to bring back the primordial deities.

You know the Temple of Olympian Zeus in Athens? How massive and glorious it was, when it was finally finished? I imagine that the amazons have something similar but ONLY for Hera.
    That's exactly the kind of temple I see in my head. As for who else might have a building of their own...I guess part of that depends on how big the Island is. But I'm not overly partial. As long as the faith is represented and the relevant gods get their due, I don't sweat the small stuff on this one.

I think the kind of temples they'd have would be influenced by whoever brought them to the Island too. Whichever god/s did that, I think, hold a special place in Amazon faith.

What's everyone's opinion on the designs from Morrison's earth-1? Say what you will about that OGN, I thought they did a great job designing the Island and Amazon architecture.

I do agree that 'male' animals both real and mythic should be on the island, that seems a bit too arbitrary of the 'no men allowed' rule, since animals aren't human. But, I just don't get the hissy fit when someone with a peepee steps on the island.
    Eh, I'm sure everyone has their reasons for preferring it that way. For me, not only is it faithful to the original Marston stuff, but it allows for an exploration of a social structure that's 100% fictional (and impossible) and relatively rare to find in any form of literature. And it obviously plays into the feminist themes the franchise is built on. You're right it doesn't always result in a positive or enlightened viewpoint for them to have. The Amazons (depending on the writer) can be isolationist to the point of xenophobia, their stance on men, while justified thousands of years ago, hasn't necessarily stayed in-step with the reality of Man's World and is overly exclusionary....but I consider these narrative features, not flaws. As much as I want Themyscria to be an all-around better, more advanced society than ours, I don't want them to be perfect either. There should be some clunky baggage in their cultural history that they haven't shaken off, some bad habits they haven't yet overcome (or even recognized, perhaps). Otherwise there isn't a ton of story there, y'know? Better than us, not perfect. That's the line I like to walk with Themyscria.

Lets say Zeus wants to visit Themyscira, he would have the right of hospitality on his side so the amazons would treat him with courtesy. But it's still uneasy, right, because why would he want to, he doesn't like them so there is always the ulterior motive. It would be a pretty tense situation
    Yes, that is exactly how I see it! Well said.

I don't like the idea of Themyscira as being the woman equivalent to a man-cave, I don't like man-caves in general. If you want a personal space to call your own, it's a customized office, not a man/woman cave.
    No, for me it's my man cave. Nothing exceptionally "man-like" about it really, except it's got the stuff this particular man likes the most (lot of books). My wife has a name for her room too, I forget what it is. Rack shack? But I respect your choice to have a customized office.

And no, Themyscria is not the equivalent of a man cave. It's a whole island nation, rather than an extra room. But both are places we get to do with as we see fit. Healthy to have a space of your own, Themyscria is just that on a fictional/philosophical/social level.

Another head canon of mine is that the amazons were/are star explorers
    I'm always iffy on this idea. Don't think I'm brave enough to try and split the thematics more than they already are. But I've seen Diana work really well with sci-fi too.

The kangas, I'm all-in on "ancient dire beasts one god or another took a liking too and kept around." I suppose it's weird to accept aliens that look human, and space dolphins, but draw the line at over-sized alien kangaroos. But that's where my tastes came down.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sorry I didn't respond to these quicker.
    No worries man.

1) The Amazons consider the earth sacred since it is Gaia's domain and don't want to piss her off.

2) Using earth magic runs the risk of waking Gaia up and causing her to bring back the primordial deities.
    By primordial gods do you mean the Titans or are you branching beyond the Greek myths here?

Good reasons, btw. Number 1 rings especially true to me. I like the idea that it isn't that the Amazons "can't" use earth magic, but that they "choose" not to. Nice.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

By primordial gods do you mean the Titans or are you branching beyond the Greek myths here?

Good reasons, btw. Number 1 rings especially true to me. I like the idea that it isn't that the Amazons "can't" use earth magic, but that they "choose" not to. Nice.
    I feel that reason applies to their seemingly simple existence and why the Isle of Technology and is cloaked.

What's everyone's opinion on the designs from Morrison's earth-1? Say what you will about that OGN, I thought they did a great job designing the Island and Amazon architecture.
    Loved it. Honestly would use it as a foundation of amazon architecture and city layout.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I'm referring to the deities that predated the Titans in Greek myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_primordial_deities

Gaia is often mistaken for a Titan but that isn't really what she was.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm referring to the deities that predated the Titans in Greek myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_primordial_deities

Gaia is often mistaken for a Titan but that isn't really what she was.
    Oh my god that's right! I forgot all about these guys. That's a pretty deep cut man, nice.

I'm down with it and am stealing your headcanon as my own. If I may. If I may not....I'm doing it anyway.

Okay. Question. Donna's short-lived Harbinger phase. I won't praise the execution of the idea and it didn't last long enough to give us anything anyway, but I never understood the problem fans had with it. Tying Donna to the Monitor stuff? Why was that such a bad idea?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

My head canon. Diana leaves the JL, after calling Batman and Superman overrated white straight privileged people, that help to maintain a status quo filled with sexism and homophobia. She is the rebel rembember? So it is time she starts to call things as they are. BM and SM are part of the problem.

Diana goes on archaeological expeditions with Julia when she has the time. She enjoys learning about Man's world civilizations that would have rose and fall in the time period in between Themyscira's isolation and her arrival in Man's World.

Oh my god that's right! I forgot all about these guys. That's a pretty deep cut man, nice.

I'm down with it and am stealing your headcanon as my own. If I may. If I may not....I'm doing it anyway.

Okay. Question. Donna's short-lived Harbinger phase. I won't praise the execution of the idea and it didn't last long enough to give us anything anyway, but I never understood the problem fans had with it. Tying Donna to the Monitor stuff? Why was that such a bad idea?
    Enh, pretty sure part of the dislike was due to the way it played with the idea of her origin being "wrong" because she's an artifact of a dead universe, and doesn't fit into the in-universe history. I didn't hate the idea, but..... Well, also it was a very New Earth thing, and only made sense out-of-universe because cosmic squish fused timelines that don't work together. In-universe, people kinda WTFed at her explanations of her own history.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Enh, pretty sure part of the dislike was due to the way it played with the idea of her origin being "wrong" because she's an artifact of a dead universe, and doesn't fit into the in-universe history. I didn't hate the idea, but..... Well, also it was a very New Earth thing, and only made sense out-of-universe because cosmic squish fused timelines that don't work together. In-universe, people kinda WTFed at her explanations of her own history.
    It definitely wasn't the smoothest story, nor was it handled well. From what I saw anyway, I didn't read the miniseries that established all this (I think I dropped it after one issue actually, then flipped through the rest at the LCS). But the basic premise is something I always liked. Donna needs a 'thing' of her own IMO, the Monitor stuff isn't (successfully) claimed by anyone and isn't used on a regular basis, and her messed up history looks like a feature rather than a flaw in that light. But then, my views on Donna are generally quite unpopular with the Wonder masses.

~ Black Panther.

Alongside regular mammals, birds and reptiles, Themyscira is home to some mythological creatures - pegasi, unicorns, phoenixes, griffins, etc. Hippocampi live in the waters offshore the island.

All monsters and named monsters live beyond Doom’s Doorway.

The Amazons are the only humanoid people on the island, so no dryads, etc. are on the island. The Amazons are the only inhabitants of humankind sentience.

When it was first invented, it was named the Amethyst Healing Light of Panacea. But none of the Amazons wanted to keep saying all that, so they just called it the Purple Ray and it stuck.

You know the Temple of Olympian Zeus in Athens? How massive and glorious it was, when it was finally finished? I imagine that the amazons have something similar but ONLY for Hera. On the contrary to the Male Gods having temples though. While I do think that Hermes would get minor statues and Asclepius, Hephaestus, and even Hades w/ Persephone would get temples I don't think for a second that Zeus, Poseidon, Apollo, or say Pan would get a temple. They aren't allies, why build something dedicated to them? Temples were built in cities to say 'this god has a home here' and Zeus etc... would not have one. Even Dionysus would have a theater or two that also serves as a temple.

Of course, there was a temple and statue just as glorious for Athena. A similar sculpture in a similar space was created and stands in Nashville's copy of the Parthenon. It's amazing in person. I'd assume the Amazons would have had temples such as these for the Patron Goddesses ( or at least Athena, Aphrodite , Artemis)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    When it was first invented, it was named the Amethyst Healing Light of Panacea. But none of the Amazons wanted to keep saying all that, so they just called it the Purple Ray and it stuck.
    I actually think the amazons would build temples to some of the male deities. Asclepius for one, being a god of medicine and healing. Hephaestus for building and crafts.
    Hygeia is the Greek goddess of Health, while Panacea is the goddess of healing. Iaso was the goddess of medicine. All three were daughters (different texts use "companions" instead) of Asclepius. In my head canon, those three would be the deities that DC's amazons would worship for all their health "needs" and those three would be the co-blessers of the fabled Purple Ray.